SEC wins since BP was hired…

Who said they didn't? One of the clueless Pearl sucks was babbling about how nobody gets to the Final Four quickly. I simply was pointing out that's wrong. I could have been mean and mentioned that Bob Huggins inherited a program on probation at Cincinnati and had UC in the Final Four in his third season, but I chose to be nice.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Haven't there been a fair number of great coaches who took longer than two or three seasons to get their team to a Final Four?

Haven't there been a fair number of great coaches who took longer than two or three seasons to get their team to a Final Four?
Did anyone say there hadn't? I was simply pointing out that Pearl's early results at UT are far from unprecedented nationally.

Geez. So your sarcasically saying we shouldn't celebrate when our program goes where it hasn't before? You can celebrate and at the same time want new heights for your program. But four NCAA appearances in a row and two Sweet Sixteens in that time are cause for celebration for most programs out there, including UT.

Geez. So your sarcasically saying we shouldn't celebrate when our program goes where it hasn't before? You can celebrate and at the same time want new heights for your program. But four NCAA appearances in a row and two Sweet Sixteens in that time are cause for celebration for most programs out there, including UT.
who said we can't celebrate when we do well? I'm saying that from what I've seen, we're not headed to greater heights any time soon. I don't think we do the right things or focus upon this things needed to win in a one and done tourney setting.

People who base success by winning National Championships EVERY year are going to be disappointed fans most of the time....

I don't know how long VolNation has been around but I would imagine some of these same negative people would have complained when Tennessee won their NC in 1998 because the Vols had to benefit from a pass interference penalty in the Syracuse game, benefit from a missed FG in OT to beat Florida, benefit from a goalline stand from inside the 1 yard line to beat Auburn, benefit from a Clint Stoerner fumble to beat Arkansas and benefit from Florida State having to play a back-up QB in the NC game to beat them....

Some people are just not easily satisfied.....

Bruce Pearl has accomplished many more things for this program than just wins...Look at what improvements have been made at TBA since he arrived...Look how many more fans come to the games....Look at how many times the Vols are on TV....31 wins last season...Sweet 16 appearances...Selection Sundays where UT fans can actually watch and see where the Vols are going...We finally had a McDonald's All-American sign to play for us...We are not Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA or Duke in basketball and never will be....Every once in awhile we may get in the Elite Eight and hopefully one day get in a Final Four and win it....Afterall, it took our "Football school" 32 years of my life to win a National Championship and we haven't played for one since....I for one am happy with what Bruce Pearl has done at UT....

People who base success by winning National Championships EVERY year are going to be disappointed fans most of the time....

I don't know how long VolNation has been around but I would imagine some of these same negative people would have complained when Tennessee won their NC in 1998 because the Vols had to benefit from a pass interference penalty in the Syracuse game, benefit from a missed FG in OT to beat Florida, benefit from a goalline stand from inside the 1 yard line to beat Auburn, benefit from a Clint Stoerner fumble to beat Arkansas and benefit from Florida State having to play a back-up QB in the NC game to beat them....

Some people are just not easily satisfied.....

Bruce Pearl has accomplished many more things for this program than just wins...Look at what improvements have been made at TBA since he arrived...Look how many more fans come to the games....Look at how many times the Vols are on TV....31 wins last season...Sweet 16 appearances...Selection Sundays where UT fans can actually watch and see where the Vols are going...We finally had a McDonald's All-American sign to play for us...We are not Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA or Duke in basketball and never will be....Every once in awhile we may get in the Elite Eight and hopefully one day get in a Final Four and win it....Afterall, it took our "Football school" 32 years of my life to win a National Championship and we haven't played for one since....I for one am happy with what Bruce Pearl has done at UT....
i was as positive as humanly possible last season, but the reality is that we don't do he things championship teams do. We haven't since our coach arrived. Simply calling a spade a spade doesn't mean I haven't appreciated the difference PEarl has made. He has raised expectations to the point where they should have ben following Ernie and Bernie or the Green years. I am a firm believer in the Peter Principle and think it applis here.

i was as positive as humanly possible last season, but the reality is that we don't do he things championship teams do. We haven't since our coach arrived. Simply calling a spade a spade doesn't mean I haven't appreciated the difference PEarl has made. He has raised expectations to the point where they should have ben following Ernie and Bernie or the Green years. I am a firm believer in the Peter Principle and think it applis here.
When has Tennessee ever done those things in basketball??....Don DeVoe won the SEC Tournament one time....Wade Houston had his awful team in the championship game once...Other than those two years what has UT EVER done in the SEC tourney??....And as far as the NCAA's we have NEVER been past the Round of 16...Loved the Ernie and Bernie Show but they didn't get us any farther than Pearl has....Neither did Green...So really, this PROGRAM hasn't EVER done things championship programs do....I would say it's a program thing not entirely a Pearl thing...

who said we can't celebrate when we do well? I'm saying that from what I've seen, we're not headed to greater heights any time soon. I don't think we do the right things or focus upon this things needed to win in a one and done tourney setting.
What are you talking about? Don't you remember all the people on here last year telling us how Pearl was superior to guys like Cal and Self? Wait a minute. Speaking of those people, where did all those proclamations about Bruce being an elite level coach go?

What are you talking about? Don't you remember all the people on here last year telling us how Pearl was superior to guys like Cal and Self? Wait a minute. Speaking of those people, where did all those proclamations about Bruce being an elite level coach go?

:birgits_giggle:

When has Tennessee ever done those things in basketball??....Don DeVoe won the SEC Tournament one time....Wade Houston had his awful team in the championship game once...Other than those two years what has UT EVER done in the SEC tourney??....And as far as the NCAA's we have NEVER been past the Round of 16...Loved the Ernie and Bernie Show but they didn't get us any farther than Pearl has....Neither did Green...So really, this PROGRAM hasn't EVER done things championship programs do....I would say it's a program thing not entirely a Pearl thing...
So stop pretending Pearl is a transformational type coach.

So stop pretending Pearl is a transformational type coach.
Exactly. Remind me what basketball tradition Arizona had when Lute Olson showed up in Tucson. How many Final Fours had UCONN participated in when Jim Calhoun showed up?

So Pearl hasn't transformed the Vols in his time here??..Pearl has most definitely transformed the Vols from what they had been in the Peterson years....And for that matter, any year, save for the years Green was here since Mears and DeVoe...Surely you are not saying he hasn't??

I'm not arguing the point of whether or not he is a great X's and O's coach...Nobody in this particular thread has either.....

Just asking..Back when UT fired Buzz who was your pick to take over??...

Exactly. Remind me what basketball tradition Arizona had when Lute Olson showed up in Tucson. How many Final Fours had UCONN participated in when Jim Calhoun showed up?

Guys we can all go through past history and see examples of this....Arkansas before Richardson....Florida before Billy D.....George Mason before they made the Final Four....Texas Western before Don Haskins...and so on and so on...Some programs one-hit wonders some that started a tradition....

So Pearl hasn't transformed the Vols in his time here??..Pearl has most definitely transformed the Vols from what they had been in the Peterson years....And for that matter, any year, save for the years Green was here since Mears and DeVoe...Surely you are not saying he hasn't??

I'm not arguing the point of whether or not he is a great X's and O's coach...Nobody in this particular thread has either.....

Just asking..Back when UT fired Buzz who was your pick to take over??...

I've been happy with Pearl, but I don't think he's the guy to take the next step. I'd love to be proven wrong. He has built a following that not many could have and his style makes for some good recruiting. No arguing that, but pretending we're on the road to greatness doesn't make any sense to me.

Seriously some of these negative a$$ people on here kill me. NUMBERS DONT LIE,yes they can be misleading but they do not lie. did coach k bring duke to the final 4 in his first year

He didn't even make the NCAA Tournament until his fourth year. He made the Final Four for the first time in his sixth season, 1986.

And the talent he inherited at Duke in 1981 was better than what Pearl had when he arrived at UT. Coach K had two seniors who had started on teams that made the championship game in '78 and the regional final in '80.

It's really hard to be great and get to Final 4s playing little D and with n semblance of organized O.

Its amazing that he took a 14-17 team to a 2 seed the next year with no offense and no defense...interesting

I've been happy with Pearl, but I don't think he's the guy to take the next step. I'd love to be proven wrong. He has built a following that not many could have and his style makes for some good recruiting. No arguing that, but pretending we're on the road to greatness doesn't make any sense to me.

You are preaching to the choir about pretending we're on a road to greatness....I never said that....I like the road we are on now versus the road we were on with Houston,McNeil and Peterson though...

He didn't even make the NCAA Tournament until his fourth year. He made the Final Four for the first time in his sixth season, 1986.

And the talent he inherited at Duke in 1981 was better than what Pearl had when he arrived at UT. Coach K had two seniors who had started on teams that made the championship game in '78 and the regional final in '80.
What year was it that Tennessee beat the brakes off Duke in a Sugar Bowl Tournament in New Orleans???..I'm going off memory but I think it was something like 90-66...Seems it was late 70's early 80's....

Last edited:
Nevermind...It was during the 80-81 season and UT beat Duke 90-69....Coach K's 1st year...He was 17-13 that year....Duke and Tennessee are tied at 7 wins apiece in the all-time series but UT has a 1-0 advantage over Coach K.....

I agree CBP has some problems in halfcourt D and O, but if his syle can bring in NBA calliber recruits he can overcome some of that. Bottom line is that until the talent reaches the next level, the team won't. Even this roster probably has only one player who may see serious minutes in the NBA.

I agree CBP has some problems in halfcourt D and O, but if his syle can bring in NBA calliber recruits he can overcome some of that. Bottom line is that until the talent reaches the next level, the team won't. Even this roster probably has only one player who may see serious minutes in the NBA.
NBA caliber recruits have a pretty consistent habit of going to play for guys with a history of putting guys in the NBA. How many of those guys has Bruce produced in his coaching career?

NBA caliber recruits have a pretty consistent habit of going to play for guys with a history of putting guys in the NBA. How many of those guys has Bruce produced in his coaching career?

Well if you consider CJ Watson a Pearl product... 1

And that fact worries me more about Pearl than any of the other negativity on this board. It would definitely help if he could have some guys reach success in the NBA. And I know this is used against him on the recruiting trail.

VN Store

Back