SEC wins since BP was hired…

ThatVolGuy

Debonair Extraordinaire
Somebody at VQ asked which team has compiled the most SEC wins since Bruce's first year in Knoxville, so I decided I'd take a look. The first number indicates regular season wins, while the number in parentheses includes SEC tournament wins. Here's how it came out:

1) Tennessee: 46 (47)
2) Florida: 39 (45)
t3) Kentucky: 38 (41)
t3) LSU: 38 (40)
5) Vanderbilt: 34 (36)
6) Mississippi State: 33 (35)
t7) Alabama: 28 (29)
t7) Arkansas: 28 (34)
9) Mississippi: 26 (27)
t10) Auburn: 24
t10) South Carolina: 24 (28)
12) Georgia: 20 (25)

It sucks that we've only had one win in the SEC tourney, but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.

we need to step it up in the tourney but impressive considering how bad our program was before Bruce came.

I wonder if somebody has the time to compile SEC records for the previous decade???

Bruce also got win # 96 tonight and has a real shot at 100 wins in four years. Pretty impressive stats!

I've posted this before, but Bruce Pearl was the best choice of all the coaches for Tennessee Basketball at the time of his hire. I'm not saying he is the best coach in the country, but he was the best choice for Tennessee.

Get off the high horse. We have next to nothing to show for it. Visit a final 4 and minds will change.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Bruce is definitely going to need to start getting past the Sweet Sixteen in the tournament - that's not going to cut it forever. But, given where we were before his arrival, I think it says something that we're talking about Final Fours and expecting to do well every year. That's progress.

A proven and consistent winner isn't built overnight. If Bruce is still in the current situation a few years from now (lots of regular season success with moderate tournament success), then we'll have some problems. I wasn't expecting a Final Four run right off the bat, so I'm not necessarily going to dog him for missing out in his first three years, but I realize that a truly great coach can take his team to the next level of winning and success. We'll have to see what Bruce can do.

Seriously some of these negative a$$ people on here kill me. NUMBERS DONT LIE,yes they can be misleading but they do not lie. did coach k bring duke to the final 4 in his first year, how long did it take calhoun to put uconn were they are today, how long did it take knight at indiana. NOBODY does it in 1 year or 2. Pearl took a team which was lucky t make the NCAA tourney in the past and in 3 years,and now his 4th,and turned them into a team in which anything less than a sweet 16 is now considered a down year. Yes i agree, he cant just keep maing the sweet 16 but damn have some patience. if in 3 or 4 years he still hasnt made it past the sweet 16 then ok something needs to happen, but all this talk now about having to make a final four is BS. As i said tennessee was a team lucky to make the tourney, and is now seen as one of the top 15 teams the last few years, thats obviously an improvement, a major one. Give it time and see what will happen, but demanding a fnal fur appearance now, and dogging bruce for not having one is downright retarded.

Considering the strength of schedule we've had in recent years, there's no doubt it is an impressive number. I would love to see us crack that evasive, elusive, elite 8 :)

That would be a good next step (obviously).

I still get slightly angry thinking about the game against Ohio State a few seasons ago. After the first half, I kept saying, "Wow, we may actually make it to the Elite Eight. Unbelievable." So much for that. And, if I remember correctly, OSU played Memphis in the next round - a team we had already pounded earlier in the season. Oh, the possibilities… :)

That would be a good next step (obviously).

I still get slightly angry thinking about the game against Ohio State a few seasons ago. After the first half, I kept saying, "Wow, we may actually make it to the Elite Eight. Unbelievable." So much for that. And, if I remember correctly, OSU played Memphis in the next round - a team we had already pounded earlier in the season. Oh, the possibilities… :)

Yep....I do believe it went down that way. I remember watching that game with a few friends at a sports bar downtown. What a disappointment!

Seriously some of these negative a$$ people on here kill me. NUMBERS DONT LIE,yes they can be misleading but they do not lie. did coach k bring duke to the final 4 in his first year, how long did it take calhoun to put uconn were they are today, how long did it take knight at indiana. NOBODY does it in 1 year or 2. Pearl took a team which was lucky t make the NCAA tourney in the past and in 3 years,and now his 4th,and turned them into a team in which anything less than a sweet 16 is now considered a down year. Yes i agree, he cant just keep maing the sweet 16 but damn have some patience. if in 3 or 4 years he still hasnt made it past the sweet 16 then ok something needs to happen, but all this talk now about having to make a final four is BS. As i said tennessee was a team lucky to make the tourney, and is now seen as one of the top 15 teams the last few years, thats obviously an improvement, a major one. Give it time and see what will happen, but demanding a fnal fur appearance now, and dogging bruce for not having one is downright retarded.

Agreed.....

UT has never been past the sweet 16 in it's history. Patience is deserved, Bruce has done a very good job. We all want to advance higher, but people need to keep it in perspective. It will happen if Bruce stays around.

Agreed.....

UT has never been past the sweet 16 in it's history. Patience is deserved, Bruce has done a very good job. We all want to advance higher, but people need to keep it in perspective. It will happen if Bruce stays around.

Agreed.....

and what makes you say that? Style of play, D, discipline? I'm not sure what you've seen.

In our history, we have beaten Florida several times and Memphis. Aside from that, in big games against the better teams, we've wilted like a desert rose. Part defense, part lack of any semblance of an O, part discipline, part poise.

Indiana made the Final Four in Bob Knight's second season.

They also had much more basketball tradition than we do...
Who said they didn't? One of the clueless Pearl sucks was babbling about how nobody gets to the Final Four quickly. I simply was pointing out that's wrong. I could have been mean and mentioned that Bob Huggins inherited a program on probation at Cincinnati and had UC in the Final Four in his third season, but I chose to be nice.

Who said they didn't? One of the clueless Pearl sucks was babbling about how nobody gets to the Final Four quickly. I simply was pointing out that's wrong. I could have been mean and mentioned that Bob Huggins inherited a program on probation at Cincinnati and had UC in the Final Four in his third season, but I chose to be nice.

Well it's easier at Indiana...I don't think he meant literally no one; I think his main point was that you can be a great coach without necessarily going to the Final Four right away.

Well it's easier at Indiana...I don't think he meant literally no one; I think his main point was that you can be a great coach without necessarily going to the Final Four right away.

It's really hard to be great and get to Final 4s playing little D and with n semblance of organized O.

It's really hard to be great and get to Final 4s playing little D and with n semblance of organized O.

Tennessee has never really had a team that was both athletic and mature. It has usually been one or the other. I think that in a few years we will have both, and that's when we will see what our coach is made of.

Our lack of maturity is partly due to BP, but I think that as some of these players get older we will magically improve in that area.

VN Store

Back