SEC West used to play defense...what happened?

I won't criticize the west until I see how Georgia's anemic offense does this weekend. I'm not expecting much.

Was reading this article yesterday (LSU-Alabama and the evolution of college football offense, plus more from a wild Week 11) and thought this tidbit was fascinating:
Eight years ago, the top five scoring offenses belonged to Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Baylor and Boise State. Now, they belong to Ohio State (average RecruitingNation recruiting class ranking over the past five years: 6.2), Oklahoma (12.0), Alabama (2.2), LSU (8.2) and Clemson (7.4). Building a conservative, defense-first team has become, to a large extent, an underdog tactic.

Reactions: BUBear
I won't criticize the west until I see how Georgia's anemic offense does this weekend. I'm not expecting much.
Oh, I don't know. I expect the Dawgs to win Saturday. Line is -3.
Agree that Auburn's D is the class of the West. But don't see Auburn being able to generate much offense against UGA. AU's front seven are as good as we've faced. Expect all-out effort to stop Swift, who has had a field day against the Barn. Dawgs receivers will then have to make some plays. Likely be somebody we haven't heard much from. Matt Landers. Kearis Jackson.

Take a look at scoring and total defense stats for the SEC. You will likely be surprised where LSU and Bama are ranked. There's a few eye openers in the statistics.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/football/2019/SEC-Only.pdf
Yeah. This.
Although there are still some games to be played, it is pretty amazing how far from the top the West powers are defensively. Think it's more than "the offenses got better" (which is certainly the case). With Bama, I can point to coaching attrition and lack of characteristic depth. LSU not so easy to figure out.
Interesting that UGA also has dominated TOP battle all season long, and no coincidence that they have given up so few points, no rushing TDs, and few passing TDs. Kirby'S MO seems to be: keep the other teams offense on the sideline and take the points every opportunity you get.

VN Store

Back