SEC towns ranked 1-14

Why...lol. It looks like Greenville, SC....Knoxville... Chattanooga,...etc., except some rolling hills and sandy soil instead of mountains. It's a medium sized capitol city, with restauarants, bars, planned events, concerts, etc, etc...just like other places. I lived there six years, both of my kids were born there. I hated it when I was there so I moved to Charleston---maybe the most beautiful city in the US. Now, I look back and sometimes I pass through there. It really isn't a bad city. It has a similar skyline to Knoxville, there are things to do...but it is hot---Jeeze, that is the hottest city I ever saw.
My ex wife is from there. Thats why.

Exactly. It’s not a “college town” at all.

I’d much rather spend some time in Lexington than some of these other places.
When I went to school in Lexington back in the 90s, one of the best Saturdays was to go to the afternoon races at Keeneland and then to a night football game. This made for a very tough Sunday morning though.

Knoxville is much more college town than Nashville ever thought about being. Please, it's not even close. Lot's prettier in the fall too. The smokies right next door, it's not close. Easily a top 4 venue in the sec. GBO!

Nashville, Tn. should not be in the mix. Its crime rate has been increasing and is beginning to rival Memphis, Tn. Knoxville, is not far behind. I have not forgot about the two young people who were carjacked, tortured for two or three days, then murdered in my home town of Knoxville. Has put a bad taste in my mouth. It also makes me sad things like this can happen.
When I make plans to visit a town or large event with my family, crime rate plays a big part in my decision to go, or not.

I cracked up when I read that!

I even heard John Anderson's voice saying it...

But it’s true...

2i1iknn.jpg

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
My two favorite restaurants are in T town. Depalma's is to die for, and Dreamlands.........there ain't nuthin like em no where.

I would honestly put Knoxville over Athens. Athens never impressed me being from Georgia as it’s really just a small town with a college in it. Nothing special. Knoxville has gotten better over the years as well and it’s on the river. And nothing should be over Nashville. Athens over Nashville is just a joke. Nashville is the best city in the WORLD for live music at any given time... that and the culture alone should keep it resoundly at the top of this list.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I think you have to distinguish between college towns (Knoxville) and college towns with benefits (Nashville).

When you are on the road, do you look at Columbia/Gainesville/Oxford as just a college town or are you taking in and enjoying all that the city has to offer?

Nashville is a great American city where Vandy just so happens to be located. Take Vandy out of Nashville, and Nashville is no less awesome.

Oxford is old school SEC southern charm where winning football games is optional, winning the tailgate is mandatory.

Athens is a cool college town, in spite of the college located there. :cool:

^^^This^^^^ Way more to do in Nashville besides watch your team clock Vandy. Athens, GA is an awesome college football trip as is Oxford. No qualm about the top 3 and Starkvegas is only above Birmingham's Legion Field as the worst college football venue I've been to.

They're ranking towns and not game day experiences.

Nashville, Tn. should not be in the mix. Its crime rate has been increasing and is beginning to rival Memphis, Tn. Knoxville, is not far behind. I have not forgot about the two young people who were carjacked, tortured for two or three days, then murdered in my home town of Knoxville. Has put a bad taste in my mouth. It also makes me sad things like this can happen.
When I make plans to visit a town or large event with my family, crime rate plays a big part in my decision to go, or not.
I assume you're talking about the Channon Christian/Christopher Newsom murders. That happened in January of 2007. Those were indeed horrific crimes, but that was over 12 years ago and it is wrong to say that "Knoxville is not far behind" Memphis, if you are talking about violent crime.

I assume you're talking about the Channon Christian/Christopher Newsom murders. That happened in January of 2007. Those were indeed horrific crimes, but that was over 12 years ago and it is wrong to say that "Knoxville is not far behind" Memphis, if you are talking about violent crime.
Yes I am.
You are also right about Knoxville not being crime ridden like Memphis. Memphis should be lumped in with cities like Detroit, Baltimore, DC, La,,etc.
If I had my way, a big part of Knoxville would have been burning after those murders. That is how bad it affected me.
Just one guy here who is sick of violent crime and liberal judges, in general.

Gainesville is the worst that I've been to, and thats not because I dont like the Gators, its just a s!!t town. But its not the worst town in general. Leadville, Co is top dawg for me followed by Jackson, MS. Terrible places.

Just curious on the hatred of Leadville?

Columbia and Starkville are having a never-ending Nathan's™ Hotdog eating contest for the 14th spot. I might go watch the Vols play USCe in Columbia again at some point in my life, but it will literally be drive down, park, go to game, leave game, immediately drive home. I'll never go back to Starkville if I have a say about it.

Honestly if it wasn’t for vols games I wouldn’t go to Knoxville for any reason.
Outside of Nashville, and possibly Baton Rouge (though, I've never been there), it's not like any of these places are tourist destinations. It's been a long time ago (1995) but I had a really good time in Gainesville - except for the 2nd half of the game, that is. I definitely liked it more than Athens, although I know the Purple Porpoise has been gone for a while. I think some of the opinions here are skewed by how we feel about the team that plays there.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
Outside of Nashville, and possibly Baton Rouge (though, I've never been there), it's not like any of these places are tourist destinations. It's been a long time ago (1995) but I had a really good time in Gainesville - except for the 2nd half of the game, that is. I definitely liked it more than Athens, although I know the Purple Porpoise has been gone for a while. I think some of the opinions here are skewed by how we feel about the team that plays there.
I feel ya. A lot of these opinions are skewed and biased lol. Give me a dive bar and cold beer and I can enjoy nearly any where lol

Reactions: BowlBrother85

VN Store

Back