SEC towns ranked 1-14

ICE, you need to relax brother/sister. Nobody like crime, but you can not let it drive your entire life. Nashville is nowhere near as dangerous and crime filled as Memphis. I could go to downtown Nashville any night of the week and walk around and never be in fear for my safety. Can not say that about Memphis. Memphis has been rumored to “under report or never report” the seriousness of some of the crimes that happen there to keep lower on the list of crime ridden cities. Also Nash is a bigger city, and bigger MSA, than Memphis and lower crime rate. Like many people on here I bave been in a lot of dangerous town such as Memphis, St. Louis, Houston, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Newark, NYC etc and Nashville is nowhere near as dangerous. But like anywhere, even a small town, there is the potential to be the victim of a crime. But get out and enjoy the time with your family, show them the world and keep them safe while expanding their horizons. That is what I did and even though they are adults now, I still do to a lesser degree with the kids. Climbing down from my soapbox now, MUCH LOVE TO YOU MY FELLOW VOLS FAN.
Me and the wife had a bad incident happen to us in Nashville a few years back. Five thugs blocked our car at a service station one night. I don`t think that would happen where we live. We were lucky and got away from the trouble.
Vile people are ruining most of the larger towns. I would not walk down the streets of Nashville after dark. You can if you want to. It is your ass.

As they build up the university more and more (buildings and parking garages) and slowly are turning the campus into a "walking campus" they push more of the unique stuff out to the fringes and all the way to downtown. the actual campus now has a completely different feel than it used to have and the strip, I agree, is just not the same. Things have gotten to busy and urbanized.

Making college campuses "walking campuses" is the trend, and a good one. I love what they've done. Too bad too many rednecks trash it on autumn Saturdays.

Now, the Strip needed some re-doing, but mostly that's been a colossal fail.

He is rating the towns...not the gameday experience. And like a..holes, everybody has one.

I can’t argue with Athens as the best SEC town.

Gainesville is the worst that I've been to, and thats not because I dont like the Gators, its just a s!!t town. But its not the worst town in general. Leadville, Co is top dawg for me followed by Jackson, MS. Terrible places.
What school is in Leadville?

No way Columbia, MO should be ahead of K town. And Nashville isn’t a college town.

No issue with Athens, Oxford, and Fayetteville in the top 5.

Columbia, S.C. is the only one I haven't been. Just a couple of observations:
--Oxford is definitely overrated, too much pretention and stilted.
--I put Fayetteville before Athens--cool, charming, laid-back atmosphere.
--Nashville is a great city but it is NOT a college town--no college vibe or
feel, with Vanderbilt located somewhere inside it , maybe.
--The rest ? All have their pluses and minuses, with enough differences
to make it fun. It's all part of what makes the SEC THE greatest conference.

Last edited:
Me and the wife had a bad incident happen to us in Nashville a few years back. Five thugs blocked our car at a service station one night. I don`t think that would happen where we live. We were lucky and got away from the trouble.
Vile people are ruining most of the larger towns. I would not walk down the streets of Nashville after dark. You can if you want to. It is your ass.

Had something similar happen to me elsewhere once. Run over the damned things. I hate thugs of whatever ethnic, creed, region, or whatever else is associated with them. Run over!!?? Surely you don't mean that WoodsmanVol! Look, these things have no regard for my well-being, why should have any for theirs? Floor the damn accelerator. Make sure your cellphone camera, video camera, or dashcam records everything. And be sure to remove the tape/card so you don't overwrite it by accident or otherwise.

Granted, I haven't been everywhere (Missouri, A&M, Arkansas to name a few) but Knoxville seems a bit low here IMO, Oxford is so overrated it's ridiculous.
SEC towns ranked 1-14 -
Starting to see a trend here with this guy. He's either associated with GASN sports or is 'Clint Switzer'? You really need to change up the strategy as it's a little too obvious. Maybe try taking an extended vacation to another forum. Just a thought...

Surprised at the lack of commentary on Fayetteville. It's a fair description of what a college town is all about. It wouldn't be more than a whistlestop if not for the university. I moved here (actually Ft. Smith) in 1975. For the first twenty-five years, it was like being on the dark side of the moon. The only SEC and UT news came off the wire services and an appearance on television came once in a blue moon. Then the hogs joined the SEC and everything was right again. But Fayetteville is really nice.

Reactions: BamaRoo

VN Store

Back