SEC Tournament Thread

1 question comes to mind is why is Kentucky the second seed and Tennessee the third when both teams lost to LSU and split with each other? Thanks for any information.
2 wins vs Auburn vs 0/1. It apparently goes head to head (split) then record vs top seeds. both 0/1 vs #1 LSU, Kentucky 3-0 vs the 4th place teams(auburn/USC tied), UT 2-1. At least that is how I understand it.

Reactions: sport3500
It would be very difficult to put all 3 ACC schools in at #1. Only one can win the tourney and Duke or UNC will loose in the semis. Hard to see either of them as the last 1 seed in that scenario, assuming that at least one team between UT,UK,Mich, Mich St makes it to the conference finals.

Duke/ NC are in the same scenario as KY/TN regarding how they seeded in their brackets.
Whichever team outlasts the others will likely be a number 1 seed.
We would need Louisville to beat North Carolina and Duke if we lose to KY to still have a fighting chance for a Number 1 seed because we had beaten Louisville.

I didn’t think Harper was really a problem for us. Brown and Okeke were. We haven’t played against smart. I think mostly we have problems w teams that shoot the 3 well
We did play against Smart; Waters was out with the flu, but I guarantee you we can't stay in front of Waters. One reason I mentioned Harper was he killed us last season against the same players.

We did play against Smart; Waters was out with the flu, but I guarantee you we can't stay in front of Waters. One reason I mentioned Harper was he killed us last season against the same players.
Guards who can beat you off the dribble pose troubles for most all teams. We’ve struggled guarding through screens and help defense - often leaving open 3s. I think a lot of our problems have come off screens.

Reactions: Rocky_top08
Guards who can beat you off the dribble pose troubles for most all teams. We’ve struggled guarding through screens and help defense - often leaving open 3s. I think a lot of our problems have come off screens.
This is why I hope we don't face a team like Houston or Wofford. I think we'd get upset by both tbh. There's a really big chance that we could be the 2 seed, then face Wofford (7 seed) in the 2nd round, and then if we beat them face Houston (3 seed). This would be an absolute nightmare. We could only hope that the 3 point defense that showed up to play against UK in TBA or these teams have an off night. I can't shake the feeling that we end up with an early exit from a team that just shoots lights out against us. We let Loyola shoot 40% last year on us.

Wofford
Murphy 49%
Hoover 46%
Magee 43%

Magee has hit 5+ 3 pointers in 19 games this year and could absolutely torch us the way we guard the 3.

Reactions: slobberknocker
Trying not to be a "Negative Nancy" here, but wouldn't it be so Tennessee of Tennessee to watch an Ole Miss or Alabama team knock off Kentucky Friday, then we turn around and lose to Miss State.

Reactions: ZZ13
At this point, just wanna secure 2 seed. 1v2 wont make a terribly big difference. I think only a loss Friday and LSU winning SEC tourney would knock us down to 3 though. Hope that some of the other teams ranked 4-10 do poorly too.... T Tech, Houston, Mich St, Mich, UK, LSU, Purdue.

Kind of a tossup IMO. We killed MSU on senior night and Quinndary had one of the worst games of his career. I don’t expect that again
Q could’ve had 30 in Knoxville and it wouldn’t have been enough. We spent the last 3 minutes messing around to get shots for the senior walk ons and still won by 17.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman and CPA
I think if we want a chance at a one seed we need to beat ky then LSU it will be hard to get a one seed any other way

Reactions: CPA
This is why I hope we don't face a team like Houston or Wofford. I think we'd get upset by both tbh. There's a really big chance that we could be the 2 seed, then face Wofford (7 seed) in the 2nd round, and then if we beat them face Houston (3 seed). This would be an absolute nightmare. We could only hope that the 3 point defense that showed up to play against UK in TBA or these teams have an off night. I can't shake the feeling that we end up with an early exit from a team that just shoots lights out against us. We let Loyola shoot 40% last year on us.

Wofford
Murphy 49%
Hoover 46%
Magee 43%

Magee has hit 5+ 3 pointers in 19 games this year and could absolutely torch us the way we guard the 3.

I’m in the same boat. I don’t want any part of Wofford or Houston. We’re better than them but both teams can just shoot past us like Auburn did.

Bridgestone has released the sec clear bag policy for the tournament. If going, may want to check the site for specific details.

Watch the Dores use the home city advantage (word is they’ve sold their full allotment of 25 tourney tickets) and will win five straight games to cut the nets on Sunday.

(* I just got back from Colorado - have done massive amounts of drugs).

Q could’ve had 30 in Knoxville and it wouldn’t have been enough. We spent the last 3 minutes messing around to get shots for the senior walk ons and still won by 17.
Yes, and last night, Gonzaga loses by 13 to the same team they beat by 48 a few weeks earlier....

I have a bad feeling about Mississippi state. They always get hot in the sec tourney. If Turner doesn’t show up and we get zero production from Pons or Johnson, it will be a short tourney.

I just hope that we get enough of a lead to get the bench guys some good playing time. We are going to need them come NCAA time.

VN Store

Back