SEC TOURNAMENT TAMPA.... WHY ?

Very convenient location for Knoxville Vol fans only 1340 miles round trip -Knoxville - Tampa. Not bad for Texas A&M fans only 2150 miles round trip. Kentucky round trip only 1610 miles round trip. Why in the heck did SEC office choose Tampa as tournament site ?

Or for that matter somewhere in SC. However just think in a few years it could take place in Ok. City or somewhere in west central Texas. Now won't that be fun.

Nashville and Atlanta should be the only places that host. Those are the two most central big cities for the SEC. It would cost me about $150-$200 in gas alone to make the trip to Tampa round trip. Compared to closer to $30-50 round trip for Atlanta or Nashville. Sorry but that’s too much for me.

Well in the new world of the SEC, there will be some who will argue with you saying Dallas or New Orleans could compete over size.

I give you a "like" for your comparison. BUT downtown Memphis is most defiantly NOT downtown Nashville!!

Absolutely true. If you look ONLY at geography, the arena, neutrality, Memphis is the best choice once Texas enters the league.

Beale Street isn't a bad set up after big time basketball games but the lack of downtown hotels and flights into Memphis is a huge negative. Nashville is the best choice.

Reactions: kcvols1
Absolutely true. If you look ONLY at geography, the arena, neutrality, Memphis is the best choice once Texas enters the league.

Beale Street isn't a bad set up after big time basketball games but the lack of downtown hotels and flights into Memphis is a huge negative. Nashville is the best choice.
Beale St. has not changed much sense the mid sixties. It reminds me of Printer's Alley of the 70's. (not that I didn't enjoy "the alley" back then.:)

This is behind everything the SEC conference office does, it is all about money, if anyone is willing to throw a few coins in the tin cup of the conference, they will listen and respond accordingly, however the amount of coin necessary to operate the conference or to participate competitively in the conference has grown dramatically in the last 5 years, much to the financial detriment of the individual fans, boosters, sponsors and ESPN.

The SEC, it just costs more.

Reactions: feathersax
It’s really nice and so is the University of Evansville (I came close to going there,) but there’s what, one OVC school in Indiana. Nashville or Louisville are the only places it should be.

With the OVC dead in the water, it doesn’t really matter anyway
True - geographically speaking it's akin to the SEC holding a tourney in Tampa...HAHAHAHAA

Actually Louisville would be a great place to hold any stage of tourney (ACC, OVC, NCAA regional, etc.). The YUM center is one of the best places to see a basketball game - zero bad seats, modern facilities, well laid out, good access to and from the arena, lots of amenities around the arena within walking distance too.

The geographic center of the SEC is just across the Alabama-MS border right off I-22. The tourney could be held in Birmingham but the BJCC is a dump, Memphis (Calipari and UK would never approve it being there) or Nashville. Nashville is just the best choice currently.

Not anymore. I work directly across the street from the BJCC. They just completed a $125M renovation and it is very nice. We have an NBA G League team, Birmingham Squad, calling the arena home.

Legacy-Arena-6-2048x1365.jpg

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
yeah, i remember the tournament itself. just didnt remember that it was played in tampa.

the only tournament i really remember not being in nashville was '08 when Sundiata Gaines went beast mode and UGA won it all in Atlanta.

Wasn't it in St. Louis a couple of years ago?

Just wait until Sankey starts hosting these events in Texas:mad:
Oh, you can bet on Texas getting one of these soon and it actually makes sense geographicly moving forward. Houston for example would be easy driving distance for four or five teams plus it would put a stamp on Texas being SEC territory.

I know it's easy to make fun of Birmingham, but I swear they tore the entire heart of that city out and built it new from scratch. It's an entirely new place.

Reactions: kcvols1 and TNinSC
Just to review for everyone wishing the gamez werz in Naishful… The tournament will be in Nashville 23-30, and has an option to renew through 35. They’ve indicated that they plan to renew. It’s not getting taken to Texas, or Florida, Oklahoma or China for a very long long time. You can now return to the paid SEC gambling referee conspiracy.

VN Store

Back