SEC Tournament Game Thread: (3) Lady Vols vs. (2) South Carolina

I didn't get to watch game but read a quick summary that Lady Vols were taken out of game in first period by officials. Was it that bad and seeing we were led in scoring by Walker and Horston with 11 was Davis and Burell just off or what?

it was pretty bad,,,worse than the last game....gonna take some "cachungas" to do what you have to do to get the zebras to call it fair.

Jordan rules for a game like that,,,it was obvious that the refs had bias most of the game and only called it even when we were down double digits,,,and then called it lopsided when we started to get back in it

There is a time for coaches to fight and let their troops fight,,,,and that time is when you are getting punched

I don't fault Kellie,,,I just have a different approach

and I'm not saying go out and punch the other team,,,I am saying no layups without interference and if you are driving and someone is in your way, run over them and take the call...you're getting called anyway, make it count

Didn’t get to see the game but looking at box score evidently everything that could go wrong did. It is really hard to beat highly rated teams twice in a season. I also believe they would would have bested UGA if we had made it to the championship game. In the same vein no way GA beats us three times this year.
Hope Rae gets over this mini slump before the tournament.

Reactions: glv98 and travis929
it was pretty bad,,,worse than the last game....gonna take some "cachungas" to do what you have to do to get the zebras to call it fair.

Jordan rules for a game like that,,,it was obvious that the refs had bias most of the game and only called it even when we were down double digits,,,and then called it lopsided when we started to get back in it

There is a time for coaches to fight and let their troops fight,,,,and that time is when you are getting punched

and I'm not saying go out and punch the other team,,,I am saying no layups without interference and if you are driving and someone is in your way, run over them and take the call...you're getting called anyway, make it count

I agree 100% coach....

Hell, if they're going to call a foul against us for just reaching up in the air, and let the Cocks knock the hell out of our girls and no whistle, get your money's worth.

Same thing happened last game...Key got a foul within a minute of the start of the game, she never recovered...Her personality is a little soft, but hope it gets stronger next season....

On a neutral court we match up very well with the Cocks, but that is piratically their home court....The refs were affected by the situation.

I'm tired of being polite and magnanimous about losing...It sucks.

The VN way.

Every game we lose, LV or men, it's mainly because of the refs.

Kinda like ESPN hates us, all refs hate us and deliberately call the games one-sided.

And the announcers. If the refs don't get us, the talking heads will. We play great basketball, and those mean announcers take the win away from us.

6 for 23. That's the total for Davis and Burrell. The refs and announcers are responsible for those numbers.

And the announcers. If the refs don't get us, the talking heads will. We play great basketball, and those mean announcers take the win away from us.

6 for 23. That's the total for Davis and Burrell. The refs and announcers are responsible for those numbers.

Agreed-reading through the posts, one would think that we would have won this game if the refs weren’t so biased against us.
And then the announcers decided to pile on.

I agree 100% coach....

Hell, if they're going to call a foul against us for just reaching up in the air, and let the Cocks knock the hell out of our girls and no whistle, get your money's worth.

Same thing happened last game...Key got a foul within a minute of the start of the game, she never recovered...Her personality is a little soft, but hope it gets stronger next season....

On a neutral court we match up very well with the Cocks, but that is piratically their home court....The refs were affected by the situation.

I'm tired of being polite and magnanimous about losing...It sucks.

I don't complain about reffing unless I see one-sided calls
but it is on us too
when that happens, you've got to make a stand and let them know you're not going to take it
dish it right back

water under the proverbial bridge GT
Time to look ahead at the NCAA;s
we;ll probably drop a seed now bc of our non-showing,,hope it doesn't put us into another bracket,,,right now I like our path
team001.png

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

We agree on something for the first time in a long time

Didn’t get to see the game but looking at box score evidently everything that could go wrong did. It is really hard to beat highly rated teams twice in a season. I also believe they would would have bested UGA if we had made it to the championship game. In the same vein no way GA beats us three times this year.

georgia beat vols on their own no help from officals. unlike unconn,texas am , south casline both games, refs had their minds made up before game. just like figure skating & gyynastes if you are not in top of the ratings and you skate better than the top skaterss is was hard to get fair shake. when they gave scores base 1 st, 2nd, 3nd. then they change the rules now judge each jump,spin,glide,and move of each skater more fair now. back to basketball we refs call fouls as they see it not that key girl fouls alot or south carlina gets touch fouls tenn do not. or at the end of game call more on south car. to try even fouls and stop a fight to hid bad calls. if their was a fight then the sec would have look in to refs part

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I don't complain about reffing unless I see one-sided calls
but it is on us too
when that happens, you've got to make a stand and let them know you're not going to take it
dish it right back

water under the proverbial bridge GT
Time to look ahead at the NCAA;s
we;ll probably drop a seed now bc of our non-showing,,hope it doesn't put us into another bracket,,,right now I like our path
View attachment 356064
I don’t think we’ll drop from a 4 seed. We were the top 4 seed and the other 3 lost as well, a couple of them to unranked teams

TN needs to up their recruiting or we will remain only a past foe that occasionally beats one of these teams... question is...did we allow the brand to fall too far after Pat left.

Several of us said this but the blue hairs were in denial. They wanted to hold on to Holly for that Al Green (The Good Times). It didn't work and she sullied the brand until it was too far out after Pat had retired. By the time she was given the boot the recruits were 8 or 9 years old at best in Pat's last year. Player development and team chemistry were issues the entire time. That didn't help.

Lmao. Blame it on everyone but the team and coaches. This team is average. Have no idea how they are ranked #14. Get used to this...they will never win anything as long as Harper is the coach. Just hope next time they hire someone outside the lady vols tree.

They do seem to be more of a team with Harper but her recruiting seems subpar when you consider this is a blue blood program that is struggling for the scraps. Can you will big just coaching them up in a tough league when the talent coming in is not what were used to?

The Butch Jones Model - 5 star hearts that compete for championships before you win championships.

I went back and watched the first quarter again and take a closer look at the fouls. It was 6-2 in favor of South Carolina. None of them were totally out of line. Maybe a couple were 50/50 calls where it was a foul or could be ignored.

The first foul on KK was a reasonable call. She wrapped her arm around Boston. I know folks are upset with the call against Key, but she did hit the left arm of the shooter when both of the SC player's hands were on the ball. Definitely a foul. There was another foul where on a SC fast break KK was late coming down the court and stuck her hand in on the shooter from behind. It's just a bad play on her part, just giving the official a reason to call a foul. It did look like she hit the players arm again, but lazy defense caused that foul. Sadly, the foul on the Jordan Walker block attempt on a three point shot was called. In slow motion, her follow thru hit the shooters hands. Maybe a 50/50 call? But you have to be smart there and not take that chance.

I didn't see the offensive foul on Davis. The players blocked it out, but the ref signaled a forearm thing, so did she push off? I thought that was an unnecessary call. Again, I couldn't see the contact.

It was 11-10 Tennessee with 5 minutes left in half. It wasn't the refs fault that South Carolina went on a 19-2 run to end the quarter.

I'm not saying there weren't bad calls. But bias? I don't believe it. Good teams know how to keep themselves out of foul trouble. If game after game the fans constantly complain about the refs, maybes it's not all the refs but the team?

I know the players and Coach Harpers body language don't help. Refs see it, and if it's a 50/50 type call it will go against the team that is annoying the refs.

Any time we lost u see most fans with their negative comments. I read a comment that stated TN wants to win they need to get rid of Kellie. What these fans dosen't understand is that SC has all round players compared to our 2 stars. Georgia is great but it took their coach 5 + yrs. In any given day I appreciate what Kellie is putting together. Remember when season started who can imagine that we'll get to this level. Instead of encouraging our team we're talking down to them, tomorrow they win u all go what a remarkable Kellie. Wonder where these ppl were when Holly coached and lost 7 straight to unranked teams.

I went back and watched the first quarter again and take a closer look at the fouls. It was 6-2 in favor of South Carolina. None of them were totally out of line. Maybe a couple were 50/50 calls where it was a foul or could be ignored.

The first foul on KK was a reasonable call. She wrapped her arm around Boston. I know folks are upset with the call against Key, but she did hit the left arm of the shooter when both of the SC player's hands were on the ball. Definitely a foul. There was another foul where on a SC fast break KK was late coming down the court and stuck her hand in on the shooter from behind. It's just a bad play on her part, just giving the official a reason to call a foul. It did look like she hit the players arm again, but lazy defense caused that foul. Sadly, the foul on the Jordan Walker block attempt on a three point shot was called. In slow motion, her follow thru hit the shooters hands. Maybe a 50/50 call? But you have to be smart there and not take that chance.

I didn't see the offensive foul on Davis. The players blocked it out, but the ref signaled a forearm thing, so did she push off? I thought that was an unnecessary call. Again, I couldn't see the contact.

It was 11-10 Tennessee with 5 minutes left in half. It wasn't the refs fault that South Carolina went on a 19-2 run to end the quarter.

I'm not saying there weren't bad calls. But bias? I don't believe it. Good teams know how to keep themselves out of foul trouble. If game after game the fans constantly complain about the refs, maybes it's not all the refs but the team?

I know the players and Coach Harpers body language don't help. Refs see it, and if it's a 50/50 type call it will go against the team that is annoying the refs.

nut, you post so much negative against the LV's,,,this post means very little coming from you
I don't think you would look at it from an unbiased eye
sorry, but I have to go with my gut on this one and my gut tells me you wear stripes

She can't afford to do that. No depth. But she can chew the refs ass!!! A tech wouldn't be bad. Let's her players know she is fighting for them!!! Has Kellie gotten a tech. this year, I don't recall..

Who
Any time we lost u see most fans with their negative comments. I read a comment that stated TN wants to win they need to get rid of Kellie. What these fans dosen't understand is that SC has all round players compared to our 2 stars. Georgia is great but it took their coach 5 + yrs. In any given day I appreciate what Kellie is putting together. Remember when season started who can imagine that we'll get to this level. Instead of encouraging our team we're talking down to them, tomorrow they win u all go what a remarkable Kellie. Wonder where these ppl were when Holly coached and lost 7 straight to unranked teams.
Who on our team was a two star??

VN Store

Back