SEC This Morning

Vol524

I record this show. Monday's episode of "The Moment" Host Laura Rutledge featured Josh Ricker. He is the definition of a VFL. If you can watch this with a dry eye you need to check your fan status. I was shocked at how classy this was considering it was a ESPN show. If you can find it watch it. It is toward the end of the hour. This is why it is so much more than just cheering on a team. IT IS FAMILY, a way of LIFE. GO VOLS!

He was raised by his Grandfather. When he was young his Grandfather would bring him to UT games. He is serving this country and is on active duty. His wife nominated him to be on this show. Laura met him on the banks of the TN river just outside the stadium. He had no idea what she had in store for him. He thought it was just a show that featured several Vol fans. When deployed he would get up in the middle of the night just to watch the games on his cell phone. Laura led him into the stadium. They talked about what it meant to him to be on the field and the memories it brought back. PF walked out of the tunnel and presented him with a game ball. Phil led him around the locker room, the lounge area and some other areas. Tee Martin came out and thanked him for his service. He met Coach Rick Barnes and some of the basketball team. Admiral presented him with a framed US flag that flew of the Stadium. There was a clip of him sitting on his couch with his two infant boys. They were watching TN playing Florida St. We were wearing them out. He looked down at his oldest son after we had scored a TD. He said after that the Florida State fans had nothing to chant or chop about. He was teaching his sons what it means to be VFL. He got to attend one of the practices. Coach Pruitt stopped practice to explain to players who this special visitor was and that he got up in the middle of the night just to watch them play. Several of the players shook his hand and thanked him for his service. Pruitt walked up to him and thanked him for his service. Coach asked him how long he would be home on leave. Josh told Pruitt he would be home for 31 days because he was on maternity leave. His youngest son is only 4 months old the other is 18 months old. Pruitt looks at him and says well you have an open invitation to come back anytime you can. You also have total access to anything here. You could tell Josh was so touched by all this. It was one of the best things I have seen about TN and the Vols in a long time. I can't do this justice on here. But this is a condensed version. It is well worth watching. I am going to sit my kids down and make them watch this.

Last edited:
He was raised by his Grandfather. When he was young his Grandfather would bring him to UT games. He is serving this country and is on active duty. His wife nominated him to be on this show. Laura met him on the banks of the TN river just outside the stadium. He had no idea what she had in store for him. He thought it was just a show that featured several Vol fans. When deployed he would get up in the middle of the night just to watch the games on his cell phone. Laura led him into the stadium. They talked about what it meant to him to be on the field and the memories it brought back. PF walked out of the tunnel and presented him with a game ball. Phil led him around the locker room, the lounge area and some other areas. Tee Martin came out and thanked him for his service. He met Coach Rick Barnes and some of the basketball team. Admiral presented him with a framed US flag that flew of the Stadium. There was a clip of him sitting on his couch with his to infant boys. They were watching TN playing Florida St. We were wearing them out. He looked down at his oldest son after we had scored a TD. He said after that the Florida State fans had nothing to chant or chop about. He was teaching his sons what it means to be VFL. He got to attend one of the practices. Coach Pruitt stopped practice to explain to players who this special visitor was and that he got up in the middle of the night just to watch them play. Several of the players shook his hand and thanked him for his service. Pruitt walked up to him and thanked him for his service. Coach asked him how long he would be home on leave. Josh told Pruitt he would be home for 31 days because he was on maternity leave. His youngest son is only 4 months old the other is 18 months old. Pruitt looks at him and says well you have an open invitation to come back anytime you can. You also have total access to anything here. You could tell Josh was so touched by all this. It was one of the best things I have seen about TN and the Vols in a long time. I can't do this justice on here. But this is a condensed version. It is well worth watching. I am going to sit my kids down and make them watch this.

While I can’t find it on ESPN, reading your post bought tears to my eyes and makes me enormously proud to be a fan of THE BIG ORANGE!!!

God Bless them each and every one!!!

What happens on that field means so much to so many people. What a wonderful story. I know the Vols won’t win every game but to see the effort with which they play is inspiring! There were guys laying it on the line Saturday night, and it’s good for them to meet people who are really laying it on the line and why it’s important for them to do so as well!!

Must be nice to watch games on your cellphone while deployed nowadays. Tough stuff

I remember getting up and hoping that AFN had the game on. Most times ended up going back to the rack.
I got all my information when I came back from my first deployment in Sep 2001..After that it was the occasional news paper clippings from the family.

Reactions: DC_Vol and Exiled

VN Store

Back