SEC Restaurant Guide

Ye Olde in South Knoxville ( Roman Room on GameDay back in the day)
Big Bad Breakfast in Oxford
Herman's in Fayetteville
Archibalds BBQ in Tuscaloosa
The Varsity in Athens
Home Team BBQ in Columbia SC
My favorites

The Linebacker in South Bend In. Ultimate college bar

My youngest daughter played basketball at IU South Bend. We went to many great taverns; Barnaby's was one of our favorites.

The original Calhoun's in West Knoxville does a really good prime rib on Saturday's, but hard to beat the environment of the one on the river. Ye Olde is a classic. Whenever visiting Tuscaloosa, I still favor Dreamland's. Back in the day, all they served was ribs and white bread.

Last edited:
Please provide some options. Thanks!
Sweet Ps downtown dive or the new Sweet Ps bbq Uptown Corner, best bbq in town. Dead End bbq good as well. But Sweet Ps downtown is an awesome hangout. Funky, eclectic memorabilia, tons of stuff from the World Fair. Lots of local beers, and a beer garden upstairs on top. On gamedays they do 50 cent gameday wings.

My favorite restaurant, I've been to 3 Dreamlands here in Montgomery, Birmingham, Huntsville, and in Mobile. None of them compare to the original in Tuscaloosa.

My first trip to Tuscaloosa Dreamland's was in 2001 for the Tennessee/Alabama game. I ordered from the outside bar and asked for a pulled pork sandwich. Answer, "we have ribs, want a half rack or whole rack?" I said whole rack. I then asked for some fries, the answer, "we have white bread, whole loaf or half a loaf?" So, breakfast was whole rack of ribs, half a loaf of white bread, sauce, and 2 tall, ice cold Budweiser's.

My first trip to Tuscaloosa Dreamland's was in 2001 for the Tennessee/Alabama game. I ordered from the outside bar and asked for a pulled pork sandwich. Answer, "we have ribs, want a half rack or whole rack?" I said whole rack. I then asked for some fries, the answer, "we have white bread, whole loaf or half a loaf?" So, breakfast was whole rack of ribs, half a loaf of white bread, sauce, and 2 tall, ice cold Budweiser's.
Sounds great.

Now they have BBQ chicken, pulled pork, burgers, sausage and sides and fries, and fantastic banana pudding.

Just a note to any aspiring physicians in the group, that cardiology residency, particularly with an interventional cardiology fellowship, is looking better by the post.......

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
My two cents:
1) They absolutely nailed it in regards to LSU - place is packed on game day, food is still awesome, and it's a very short walk to the stadium
2) Merrick's in Lexington...definitely NOT a game day type restaurant, but then again I'm not sure there are any in Lexington

My two cents:
1) They absolutely nailed it in regards to LSU - place is packed on game day, food is still awesome, and it's a very short walk to the stadium
2) Merrick's in Lexington...definitely NOT a game day type restaurant, but then again I'm not sure there are any in Lexington

Yes, Chimes is great. Oldest daughter lived in Baton Rouge for 5 years (got her Masters Degree at LSU) and lived about a mile from Chimes. Been several times; great place.

I have been to plenty of rib joints in Memphis, all the good ones in Kansas City, Calhouns in Knoxville many times. I like ribs in general, but Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is the best for me.

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
I have been to plenty of rib joints in Memphis, all the good ones in Kansas City, Calhouns in Knoxville many times. I like ribs in general, but Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is the best for me.
They’re up there for me. The only time I went was in college and I woke up and went out there w some friends who went to Bama. Maybe it’s because I might have still been drunk from the night before but they were pretty damn good. I’ve eaten at many bbq places in Kc, Memphis, NC, but the best ribs I can recall having were from Blues City Cafe in Memphis.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I went to Ye Olde Steakhouse on Chapman Highway in the 80's and it was incredible then, also Copper Cellar was great back in the day, tried Chesapeake's downtown three or four years ago when I was visiting and it was incredible, as well. I went to Calhoun's in Gatlinburg once, and I was not impressed. I've had a lot better BBQ than that.

Reactions: LittleVol
Sweet Ps downtown dive or the new Sweet Ps bbq Uptown Corner, best bbq in town. Dead End bbq good as well. But Sweet Ps downtown is an awesome hangout. Funky, eclectic memorabilia, tons of stuff from the World Fair. Lots of local beers, and a beer garden upstairs on top. On gamedays they do 50 cent gameday wings.
I second this.
GBO!!

If we’re being honest and you want the best views, hit up twin peaks. Definitely for the views and not the food.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back