SEC replacement team

IF an SEC school left, who would yall like to see most to replace them?

• Total voters
Originally posted by GatorVille@Aug 8, 2005 2:08 AM
Each year their win totals have gone down.  Id say thats declining.
[snapback]123684[/snapback]​

The last 5 years, their win totals have been 11, 12, 12, 11 and 9. I'm not sure I'd call that much of a program on the decline.

Miami is not on the decline, FSU is. and Virginia Tech is overreated and should in actuality be compared to Georgia Tech and NC State, not Miami and FSU. So the ACC has Miami and FSU, compared to Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, etc. Further, if you put in one of our weaker teams like 'Bama or Ole Miss into the ACC, they would have a considerably better record.

I also want to reiterate the VA Tech is overreated, as I truly despise that team. For comparison, their fans are like Bama's, but worse.

Miami is not on the decline just a bump since they lost alot of underclass talent to the NFL for 2 or 3 years in a row

As opposed to UF's 10, 10, 8, 8, 7

12, 11, 9. All right when they start playing tougher conf. games too. Big coincidence. They're getting less impressive and not well coached. Many UM fans are skeptical of Coker, he's out on his own with his own players now, and he hasnt been giving the fans what they want. How many times do you have a chance to win the conf. title at home? Miami did, and a couple years ago they would have won. They didnt this time. They're still a very good team, but I would say they're on a decline right now. They can shoot right back up and win 10 or so games, but judging the past 3 seasons, Im not as impressed with Miami as I once was.

Originally posted by VAVol@Aug 8, 2005 8:23 AM
Miami is not on the decline, FSU is.  and Virginia Tech is overreated and should in actuality be compared to Georgia Tech and NC State, not Miami and FSU.  So the ACC has Miami and FSU, compared to Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, etc.  Further, if you put in one of our weaker teams like 'Bama or Ole Miss into the ACC, they would have a considerably better record.

I also want to reiterate the VA Tech is overreated, as I truly despise that team.  For comparison, their fans are like Bama's, but worse.
[snapback]123719[/snapback]​

How is VT overrated? Did you see the game the gave Auburn and USC last year? They now have marcus vick at qb and they are returining basically everyone.

I still don't understand why Southern Miss is beating Memphis on this poll. Memphis' fan base is probably twice as large and basketball is no comparison.
They drew 27,000 fans for their biggest game against California and their top attendance was 32,000. Memphis drew about 40,000 against a Div. I AA opponent and about 55,000 on a Thurs. night game against Louisville.

And 55,000 is supposed to be an impressive number?

I still don't see why this topic was even started. The SEC is well aligned as it is. Vandy adds class, and the Polecats OWN bball. The SEC isn't JUST about football. You have to look at the whole picture.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 6, 2005 11:23 PM
I know, the SEC has solid schools. But I mean Vanderbilt is the only really good school academics-wise.
[snapback]122911[/snapback]​

WTF?????

Milo, how long have you been a UT fan? And why do you call yourself one with comments like that?

UT is a great academic university. As much as I hate to admit it, UF is a very solid and respectable academic university.

I mean, we may be a bunch of inbred southerners around here, but it's not as bad a deliverance may portray. Come on down some time and find out a little about our area besides what the movies show you.

Geez...

Georgia is a very good school academically, I think second in the rankings behind Vanderbilt as far as the SEC's concerned.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Aug 8, 2005 1:26 PM
And 55,000 is supposed to be an impressive number?

I still don't see why this topic was even started.  The SEC is well aligned as it is.  Vandy adds class, and the Polecats OWN bball.  The SEC isn't JUST about football.  You have to look at the whole picture.
[snapback]123862[/snapback]​

For a Thursday night game that's not too shabby. It just shows that Memphis has potential and draws well when it plays reputable teams.
Memphis will never get in though, I'm just trying to make an arguement, and the whole well-rounded aspect helps my case.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Aug 8, 2005 2:01 AM
How so?  When was UF brought into this?
[snapback]123680[/snapback]​

"UF will toast them, and so would a little more than half the teams in the SEC. "

Originally posted by OrangeFrenzy@Aug 8, 2005 1:42 PM
"UF will toast them, and so would a little more than half the teams in the SEC. "
[snapback]123878[/snapback]​

:eek:lol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol:

Just like UF toasted them last year huh????????

Originally posted by GatorVille@Aug 8, 2005 1:39 PM
UF would be second in the rankings ;)
[snapback]123875[/snapback]​

I said, "I think."

I looked it up, and I stand corrected.

Florida is #50, and Georgia is #58.

Originally posted by OrangeFrenzy@Aug 8, 2005 11:34 AM
WTF?????

Milo, how long have you been a UT fan?  And why do you call yourself one with comments like that?

UT is a great academic university.  As much as I hate to admit it, UF is a very solid and respectable academic university.

I mean, we may be a bunch of inbred southerners around here, but it's not as bad a deliverance may portray.  Come on down some time and find out a little about our area besides what the movies show you.

Geez...
[snapback]123871[/snapback]​

No disrespect meant whatsoever. I'm not saying the south's schools are bad; heck, I'd really enjoy going to Vanderbilt, Georgia or Tennessee if it wasn't for the move!

But compared to other conferences? You got the ACC with Duke, North Carolina and Georgia Tech being top-notch, the Big Ten with Michigan, Northwestern and Purdue, and the Pac-10 with Cal, Stanford, UCLA and Washington. All these are truly outstanding schools.

No disrespect at all, the SEC does have a good number of solid schools, but as far as spectacular academic institutions go, Vanderbilt is the only SEC school I would really put in that class.

And if you're wondering about my qualifications, I may have very little experience in the south, but I am about to be a HS senior. Looking at colleges has consumed half my time for the last year, and I have done a tremendous amount of research on universities coast to coast.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 8, 2005 3:46 PM
No disrespect meant whatsoever. I'm not saying the south's schools are bad; heck, I'd really enjoy going to Vanderbilt, Georgia or Tennessee if it wasn't for the move!

But compared to other conferences? You got the ACC with Duke, North Carolina and Georgia Tech being top-notch, the Big Ten with Michigan, Northwestern and Purdue, and the Pac-10 with Cal, Stanford, UCLA and Washington. All these are truly outstanding schools.

No disrespect at all, the SEC does have a good number of solid schools, but as far as spectacular academic institutions go, Vanderbilt is the only SEC school I would really put in that class.

And if you're wondering about my qualifications, I may have very little experience in the south, but I am about to be a HS senior. Looking at colleges has consumed half my time for the last year, and I have done a tremendous amount of research on universities coast to coast.
[snapback]123911[/snapback]​

None really taken. You should just try living in the south sometimes with the media portrayals and national views of our region. :p

I think what you should consider is that NO conference is filled with all Harvards, Dukes, etc... While you, a young high school student who is studying colleges may feel that you have a full grasp on the qualifications of colleges in another area, please forgive those of us who have been into the real world and experienced these institutions from within. We know the qualities of these schools because we have attended them. We have earned our education at these universities through full nights of study and fear. Not one who have attended an SEC school would question that school's academics, nor by extension the education those academics we've EARNED there.

Peace, and take care Milo. :peace2:

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 8, 2005 4:09 PM
No doubt.

Except I have heard terrible things about Bama.

:peace:
[snapback]123928[/snapback]​

LOL. Too good.

Tho I have heard they're getting a great law dept.

...and the Criminal Justice majors will now be taught from inside the Athletic Department.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 8, 2005 2:46 PM

[snapback]123911[/snapback]​

Georgia is more competetive than Purdue and Michigan. Georgia is pretty equivalent to Georgia Tech and North Carolina Georgia's average ACT score= a 28, Purdue's average ACT score =a 25 (the same as UT's and Arkansas's incidentally)
The SEC is by no means an academic powerhouse, but it has surprisingly competetive aspects, especially for schools with such high enrollment.
With schools this large, excluding Vanderbilt, you can make college Ivy League difficult or community college easy, depending on your class selection. SEC schools do generally have much higher student-teacher ratios than you would find at nice liberal arts colleges, so that definately is a minus on the academic end of things.

Yes, it does change bass on class selection. I will concede all of what you said, except the Michigan part. As much as I hate that school, it is all around one of the very top universities in the country.

Originally posted by OrangeFrenzy@Aug 8, 2005 1:10 PM
LOL.  Too good.

Tho I have heard they're getting a great law dept.
[snapback]123929[/snapback]​

I'm really not joking. I have looked into most SEC schools on a number of college information services, I have literally heard that student life in Tuscaloosa is like taking a trip back to 1970.

VN Store

Back