SEC Realignment Question

Someone may have already posted this, so forgive me.

9 game conference schedule

East
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vandy
SC

West
Arkansas
Missouri
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
LSU
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma

No permanent cross division opponents. Rotate two cross division opponents every season.

Here's what I think makes the most sense (so it won't happen). Two 8-team divisions. Each team plays 10 conference games (it's time), 7 inter-division games and 3 cross-division games. Of those 3 cross-division games, 1 is permanent, the other 2 rotate. Set them up like this (permanent cross-division team in ()):

East:
Tennessee (Ole Miss)
Alabama (LSU)
Auburn (Arkansas)
Florida (Texas)
Georgia (Oklahoma)
Kentucky (Mississippi State)
South Carolina (Missouri)
Vanderbilt (Texas A&M)

West:
Arkansas (Auburn)
LSU (Alabama)
Texas (Florida)
Oklahoma (Georgia)
Texas A&M (Vanderbilt)
Ole Miss (Tennessee)
Mississippi State (Kentucky)
Missouri (South Carolina)

I think this is the perfect setup and would really be fun.
You know what? With those divisions, you don't need permanent rivals. None of them. That would be pretty good.

Reactions: Orange12
Here's what I think makes the most sense (so it won't happen). Two 8-team divisions. Each team plays 10 conference games (it's time), 7 inter-division games and 3 cross-division games. Of those 3 cross-division games, 1 is permanent, the other 2 rotate. Set them up like this (permanent cross-division team in ()):

East:
Tennessee (Ole Miss)
Alabama (LSU)
Auburn (Arkansas)
Florida (Texas)
Georgia (Oklahoma)
Kentucky (Mississippi State)
South Carolina (Missouri)
Vanderbilt (Texas A&M)

West:
Arkansas (Auburn)
LSU (Alabama)
Texas (Florida)
Oklahoma (Georgia)
Texas A&M (Vanderbilt)
Ole Miss (Tennessee)
Mississippi State (Kentucky)
Missouri (South Carolina)

This would actually improve the current scenario. A) You're reuniting a lot of the old 10-team SEC members, so old annual rivalries like Tennessee-Auburn, Florida-Auburn, Alabama-Florida, and Georgia-Alabama are back; B) You preserve Tennessee-Alabama, the Cocktail Party, Georgia-Auburn, and basically every meaningful SEC rivalry. The only tough one for me was deciding if LSU's permanent opponent would be Florida or Alabama, but I think the LSU-Bama rivalry has been slightly bigger; C) You're renewing a lot of the old SWC/Big 8/Big 12 rivalries like Texas-Arkansas, Texas-Texas A&M. And Missouri is playing a lot of its old Big 12 opponents.

I think this is the perfect setup and would really be fun.
Some of those permanent cross division you have aren't fan friendly but looks as close as being equals as possible currently.
I think for now I'm more in favor of the N,S,E,W breakdown a poster posted earlier...

Is it possible for each team to have 2 permanent rivals and all the rest rotate through? This is too hard for me to think through all of it, but some examples:

UT: Bama, Vandy
bama: UT, Auburn
AU: Bama, Uga
UGA: Auburn, Florida
Florida: UgA, LSU
LSU: UF, OM
OM: LSU, MS ST
MS St: Ole Miss, A&M
A&M: MS St, Texas
Texas: A&M, OU
OU: Texas, Mizzou
Mizzou: OU, Arkansas
Ark: Mizzou, UK
UK: Ark, SCar
SCar: UK, Vandy
Vandy: SCar, UT

It looks good until you get to Ark, UK, and SCar. They get pretty easy ones there. But, this allows for moving through the rest of the SEC a little quicker, and maybe adds more flexibility for ooc scheduling.
Bama - Florida. Because those two are made for each other.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Be pretty cool to see original Sec teams in one division maybe Sec A then Sec B. I mean it’s our league we started it.

Reactions: Nocleats
I will float my very own unique solution to this issue one LAST time.....

Add two more teams to get to 18. Add teams based on what would support 3 logical divisions.

Create the three divisions and of course play the other 5 as usual in division play.

Eliminate all fixed cross division games.

Rotate two teams in pairs from the other divisions for a home and away game. That gets you to 9 conference games but you complete the cycle through the rest of the teams every 6 years.

At the end of the season each of the three division winners go to the conference semi finals and are joined by the highest ranked second place team. The two teams from the same division cannot meet in the semi final game. So you have to have a method to determine which of the other two teams does get the non winner. Highest ranked I guess for starters. But this eliminates the death penalty for being in the division of the power guys by giving all three highest ranked non winner teams a shot.

So you do have to add the semi game. If this crosses the threshold of too many games, instead of adding 2 to get to 18, cut one and get to 15 with three 5 team divisions, but then you would have to stagger the two from the other divisions to work your way through and you start back through the 5 teams one year early. 18 is better so you could mix the strength (historically ranked) from the other 2 divisions. I.e. 1 and 6, 2 and 5 and 3 and 4. Don't want 1 and 2 one year and 5 and 6 another.... Might have to re-seed every decade or so.

This is the fairest way to schedule I know of.... If teams get all wound up over natural rivals let them add games against each other outside the conference winner calculations instead of a directional school. Doubt it is that important.

As far as additions I have always been partial to adding VT and one of the NC schools to make the conference map complete. Have not calculated how that would figure in the creation of the divisions but seems it would help with the value for the TV contracts. Be interesting to see which NC would jump on board as a singleton. Prefer NC but NCST might work out by strengthening their draw. Doubt UNC will leave Duke behind and we don't need Duke for football.

There it is.... I have shared all my brilliance......

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
The rumor is they are considering quads like the NFL, with us in with Alabama. This will doom us for years and keep us where the rest of the conference wants us to be,irrelevant. I know ya, da ya, da ya,da. I don’t run from anybody, well you getting yo a$$ whipped for 16 years in a row. Maybe your IQ is lower than your ranking. It’s a tradition, just means you been doing it to long, embrace change, there’s life out there. Folks we have high school kids that’s never seen us beat them, move on. 😳

At this point, I wouldn't fear Bama long term. Saban, while the goat, is starting to show signs of slowing down and I can't imagine any coach with a great resume and a legacy that is already built wanting to follow the goat. My guess is that in five yrs, Bama will still be good but won't be virtually unbeatable.

No Divisions...............................Please!

noooooo-eric-cartman.gif

Reactions: bamawriter
Tennessee will be in the SEC North with Missouri, Kentucky, and Oklahoma. I am only half kidding but that would be pretty awesome. Our permanent rivals will be Vanderbilt and Alabama. The SEC East will consist of Georgia, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Florida. The SEC South will consist of Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss and Miss. State. The SEC West will consist of LSU, Texas A & M, Texas, and Arkansas. This will never happen but it would be more competitive.
This will not happen because it makes sense. We all know when people in suit and ties make the decisions there’s always a ****ed up solution somewhere.

UT will get stuck with bama uga Florida and Oklahoma back to back to back. Then be on a rotation to play lsu and and auburn every other year. I wouldn't be surprised at all. And Bama will have Texas am replaced with Vandy. There will be some shady crap like that

I feel like they will go with 4 team pods, then have an SEC Final Four and SECCG. I feel like that would be a huge revenue bump from TV for that final four weekend.

I actually saw one scenario where our pod was Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina and Vandy.

The others were
Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Georgia,
Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas and LSU,
Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri.

I think the pods should be subject to reevaluation every 10 years based on how the teams fared the prior 10 years.

Get rid of the divisions, 3 permanent opponents. 9 conference games. Rotate the other 12 opponents. Top 2 teams play in SECCG.

My guess at our 3 would be Bama, Kentucky, and Vandy. Those are the 3 we have the most history with.

Tennessee will be in the SEC North with Missouri, Kentucky, and Oklahoma. I am only half kidding but that would be pretty awesome. Our permanent rivals will be Vanderbilt and Alabama. The SEC East will consist of Georgia, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Florida. The SEC South will consist of Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss and Miss. State. The SEC West will consist of LSU, Texas A & M, Texas, and Arkansas. This will never happen but it would be more competitive.
That would be perfect alignment all the way around. Submit to SEC commissioner.

East
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vandy
SC

West
Arkansas
Missouri
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
LSU
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma

No permanent cross division opponents. Rotate two cross division opponents every season.

This certainly makes the most sense geographically.
And I like 9 conference games.
I also like playing all 8 teams in the other division every 4 years.
I also like no permanent cross division opponents. Much more fair.
All that being said, the SEC powers that be will probably do that stupid POD thing.

If I'm behind times on this, sorry. But has there been a final decision on how the new teams, Texas and Oklahoma, will be inserted into the conference. A good friend of mine said that he thought that both teams would be put into the SEC West and that Bama and Auburn would move to the east. I had not heard of this scenario. I work a lot and don't always have time to listen to sports talk or mainstream news broadcasts.

Thanks in advance.

Actually, this scenario was suggested before the invites were official. From a geographic sense, this makes the most sense. While they are at it? I would move Missouri and Vanderbilt to the west, and Ole Miss and MSU to the east. Unless a couple of ACC teams defect to the SEC before 2025. But who knows? If the Big12 folds, Baylor and Oklahoma State may want to join the party.

Point being, much can happen in the next four years. And probably will.

East
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vandy
SC

West
Arkansas
Missouri
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
LSU
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma

I like the division break up here……….as it really doesn’t hurt Tennessee at all.

Also Bama and Georgia deserve to play each other every year……..love it.

However I’m down with 1 permanent cross division opponent…….for rivalry purposes……..well I mean “I” could live with out them as Tennessee’s would all be in the same…….but I could see some of the teams and fans wanting one.

Originally, I was for the pods, but tbh just keeping everyone together with 2-3 permanent games (ALA, Vandy, UF for us) and a 1v2 championship seems the best.

Too often the West overpowers the East, and with pods, there is bound to be an imbalance. I would rather the top 2 just play each other every year.

If I'm behind times on this, sorry. But has there been a final decision on how the new teams, Texas and Oklahoma, will be inserted into the conference. A good friend of mine said that he thought that both teams would be put into the SEC West and that Bama and Auburn would move to the east. I had not heard of this scenario. I work a lot and don't always have time to listen to sports talk or mainstream news broadcasts.

Thanks in advance.

Not if OK and TX were both put in the West, which would make a lot of sense in keeping the Texas vs. Oklahoma rivalry yearly.

You’d have a West Division of 7 teams and an East division of 9 teams based on your posts.

From what was posted:

The current SEC West Division of 7 teams would (A) lose Alabama and Auburn and (B) gain Texas and Oklahoma: 7-2+2=7 SEC West teams

The current SEC East Division of 7 teams would (A) gain Alabama and Auburn and that’s it: 7+2=9 SEC East teams.

Another team from the East would also have to move to the West to balance the two divisions.

VN Store

Back