SEC "loyalty".

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
One big topic I have kept coming across on message boards today is "SEC loyalty". According to a large sector of football fans, I am supposed to put aside any animosity I have toward any SEC team and pull for them to win their respective bowl games.

My response? :biteme:

To me, Tennessee IS the SEC and therein lies my loyalty. I was GLAD UF got embarrassed in a bowl they didn't belong in to start with, and wanted UGA to lose too. Anyone who thinks the sports world is going to all-of-a-sudden recognize the SEC as a great conference just because all SEC teams win a bowl game is living in a fantasy world. The SEC has been around a looong time. If they haven't been recognized as great yet, they never will be. So asking me to become a UF, UGA, UA or LSU fan for a day is out of the question.

GO VOLS!!! LOSE everybody else!!!

I hear that same stuff about pulling for other SEC teams all the time. However, I found myself pulling for Iowa and Purdue today. Of all the conferences out there I really do hate to pull for the Big10. I have decided that it really doesn't matter. After all, who I decide to pull for is not going to affect the outcome of the game so why does it matter.

On the other hand, I guess UF winning would help our BCS rating but that is really pointless as well. Whatever the case may be, I sure do love watching football on New Years Day. I just wish there were a few more games on like it used to be.

I find myself rooting for an SEC team no matter what. It probably stems from my deep resentment that the SEC is consistantly SCREWED by the fact that there is no playoff system. We all know the SEC would thrive in a playoff environment.................I'm rambling now... happens when my team takes one in the teeth... sigh

It was definitely a tough day for your Gators, unfortunately UT fans can relate to what that is like. I think the BCS is a real problem and we need a playoff system. Every year these bowls outside the BCS get more and more meaningless. The players and fans alike don't really care about playing in these bowl games. I think you saw that last year with Tennessee and this year with Florida. Don't get me wrong, I think school pride should be enough to motivate but the post season really should mean something for more than a couple of teams.

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I have been pulling for all SEC teams except Florida. I am very happy that they got drilled.

It is good for the SEC if most teams perform well, it shows that the SEC is a stronger conference than sports writers think.

Go Vols

People have to understand that it's different at Tennessee since we don't have an in state rival to hate with all our hearts. A lot of Florida fans may say they pull for the SEC in bowl games, but I'd bet that they wouldn't pull for FSU if their life depended on it.

Could there possibly be a Tennessee fan who was not grinning from ear to ear when FLA got spanked yesterday and the Outback Bowl got a crappy game that nobody watched after halftime? Talk about getting what you deserve. :lolup:

Now I guess the Gator fans will be laughing at us for what Clemson is doing to us. 24-14 at the half. Pitiful. Anybody ready for the '04 season? :D

Lady...Clemson was very hot coming into the game and needs it alot more than the Vols do. Atleast the Vols are showing some fight, as opposed to none by the Gators yesterday! :angry:

To be totally Honest, I have never been more embarrassed in my life. Clemson???????? COME ON!!! :bad:
Im glad now that we didn't get a bid to the Outback Bowl. Iowa would have murdered us!

Atleast the Vols are showing some fight, as opposed to none by the Gators yesterday! 

I wouldn't get too down on yourself. At least Iowa was ranked 5 spots ahead of you in the polls. Clemson wasn't even ranked and basically manhandled us. What I want to know is how much did it cost Clemson to payoff those horrible referees? Countless penalties went uncalled on Clemson and Tennessee couldn't blow their nose without being penalized.
BCS? Not the way they played today! I'd be afraid to play Tulsa in the Humanitarian bowl!
Revenge??? What revenge? From Maryland of last year? Oh yeah! We got revenge. We actually scored a Touchdown this year - WooHoo :thumbsup:

So where are we going to be ranked at the beginning of next year after this embarrassing defeat? In the 20's I'd imagine.

So wtg team - finish the season strong and choke in the bowl. Couldn't ask for a better way to go out..... well maybe if the bowl opponent was ranked it wouldn't be so bad.
Sigh - he's to another great finish :beer:

Even though we went 10-2 during the regular season, it was still disappointing to see us have to come from behind in so many lacluster performances...all I got to say is it was a typical end to a typical season...so this is the performance and coaching almost $2MIL and a 15% tuition hike will get you...nice. :bad:

VN Store

Back