SEC Funeral

This seems to be the perfect spot for a joke I heard several years ago.

Alabama fan, on his first day, was taking a stroll down the streets of heaven, with Saint Peter as his tour guide.

One beautiful mansion after another. As they reach a small hill, a white mansion, trimmed in crimson, sitting on 10 acres with beautiful lawn and rose bushes. St. Peter, says..That is where Coach Bear Bryant Now resides.

They continue walking, and as they reach the top of a hill, they looked down on an estate of 50 acres with 25,000 sq.ft. mansion, painted Tennessee Orange, trimmed in white and a power T imposed on every window.

The Alabama fan gasped and says to St Peter..Why does General Neyland have a bigger mansion than Bear Bryant, when Bear won more championships?

Saint Peter says...be very careful, that is not where the general lives..that's where GOD lives!

and God just *thinks* he's General Neyland!

Different levels of classless. I like it!

My mom asked for us to tell funny stories about her, serve cocktails and make a party of hers.
Most folks are this way and I’m sure the joke made by the OP got some laughs and was harmless.
At my brother-in-law’s funeral back in September there were some good stories told, but we had to leave out a ton of good ones since we were in church.

Reactions: Behr
Most folks are this way and I’m sure the joke made by the OP got some laughs and was harmless.
At my brother-in-law’s funeral back in September there were some good stories told, but we had to leave out a ton of good ones since we were in church.

I don't judge you Carl. Lulz.

People to this day talk about how awesome my moms service was. We laughed, cried and all learned things we never knew about her.

Different levels of classless. I like it!

My mom asked for us to tell funny stories about her, serve cocktails and make a party of hers.
I’ve told my wife I want this to be the song played first at my funeral .... starting right around the :50 mark

Several years ago I was asked to preach a funeral for an avid Bama fan down there. Bama fans on one side, Barn fans on the other... I started, "Good evening from Knoxville, Tennessee... GO VOLS!" True. Top that, Preacher Webb...

And your funeral was three days later?

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Pickens
Your urine is orange? Unless you are taking pyridium I would see a doctor for that.

I had a bumper sticker that said, "My Blood Runneth Deep Orange" back in the mid 80's.

35 years later? "I P**s Deep Orange" Sayings evolve.

We joke and pick about ours and other fan bases, but our Lord gave his life that ALL might come to Salvation. Our decision about Christ is the most important decision in this lifetime, nothing else is remotely close. Joking at a funeral depends on the crowd and if I didn't personally know the people to have insight on whether they would see the humor, I wouldn't joke about it myself.

Bravo.

A funeral is a sad affair no doubt but honestly if the guy cracked a harmless third party joke and made even one person laugh then that one person was allowed a reprieve if only for a few seconds from the sadness. I don't think it was a personal dig at all to the deceased. In the depths of mourning laughter is a true gift.

Reactions: chatsworth_vol

I guess. Not slighting expressions of faith, but I guess I have been put off by feeling that too many churches seem more interested in people just showing up for services and planning social activities than taking John 14:15 to heart. I feel they should be more focused on the true needs of those who feel without hope. I know many do good foreign missions work, but they also do a good job of advertising it while there are those in need down the next block. No offense to alaVol, but while I am sure he sincerely meant every word and I agree with his sentiment, I have read or heard that so many times, it felt a tad like vein repetition. And I apologize to anyone who finds that view offensive. It was not meant to be so.

Not SEC but last Summer we attended a neighbors funeral and he was a HUGE Purdue fan. At the funeral the preacher said he was going to read a letter left by the dearly departed had requested be read at his showing. It said something to the fact that I will miss my family and friends, now I'm laid down to be as dusty and dead as those National Championship banners IU always brags about....now Boiler Up!".....It was great, must be nice to be on your death bed and still have a little humor deep down. Kinda broke the sad tensions of the event.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
I dont know about the rest of y'all. But when I'm dead, I couldn't care less what happens at the funeral (or if there even is one).

Several years ago I was asked to preach a funeral for an avid Bama fan down there. Bama fans on one side, Barn fans on the other... I started, "Good evening from Knoxville, Tennessee... GO VOLS!" True. Top that, Preacher Webb...
0fc7d238269a30899b023e010559d434.jpg

People need to learn to laugh more. Life without joy and laughter would be pretty boring.

And miserable.

Reactions: JCHateSteve

VN Store

Back