SEC coaches weigh future of Oklahoma drill as NFL asks its teams to stop using it

They can eliminate it from practice but coaches are always going to use isolation plays on the LBers

Butch Jones is a big proponent of the Oklahoma drill. That alone should tell you it's pointless.
You're obviously not tough enough go play a wussy sport like soccer or a squash or go root for Vandy. Gonna be wussy 7 on 7 snowflake practice,

Reactions: AllVols
Interestingly per the article, they could not find one coach who thought the players improved a skill or developed an area of the game they needed to improve by participating in the "Oklahoma drill/Circle of Life/Bull in the ring. Just because our high school and youth coaches used it and put many of us through it, does not mean it's useful. I often thought while standing in that circle waiting for my # to be called how useless it was.

For NFL, and possibly for NCAA, I can't see what value this provides. Surely by the time a player is in the NFL, or in an FBS school, the coaches know whether the player has guts or not.

If you have to do a Circle of Life drill to know who your fighters are, you're a pretty pitiful example of a recruiter/ coach.

For NFL, and possibly for NCAA, I can't see what value this provides. Surely by the time a player is in the NFL, or in an FBS school, the coaches know whether the player has guts or not.

If you have to do a Circle of Life drill to know who your fighters are, you're a pretty pitiful example of a recruiter/ coach.

*see exhibit Butch*

I have seen more tug of war type activities pop up in vids. Seems like a safer alternative that still pits one guy vs another.

Interestingly per the article, they could not find one coach who thought the players improved a skill or developed an area of the game they needed to improve by participating in the "Oklahoma drill/Circle of Life/Bull in the ring. Just because our high school and youth coaches used it and put many of us through it, does not mean it's useful. I often thought while standing in that circle waiting for my # to be called how useless it was.

It has a very specific purpose. To see who is afraid to hit and who is not. It has no other developmental purpose other than to let the coaches know instantly where the players are at mentally. Can't be afraid to hit or be hit. My first Bull in the Ring when I got pointed at was an O=S*** moment. And in my day the timid always sought to hopefully point at someone even more timid. And the bad boys pointed at the timid just to plant them in the ground and F*** with them. The king of the ring was the half-pint DB 2nd stringer that pointed at the biggest baddest mofo. The drill may be useless. But it left no pu***** on the roster.

I don't have particularly strong feelings about the drill one way or another but, from the article, it certainly seems as if Coach O is a fan and Muschamp's comments are extraordinarily measured given the flack he received for his remarks on CTE and the Maryland player who died under Durkin's watch. It's clear that Pruitt and Moorehead are not proponents of the drill, but everyone else quoted is just walking on eggshells.

Drives me crazy. It's the dumbest thing ever to want people to bash skulls for no apparent reason other than you like loud noises.
I didn't play much football (just 2 years in junior high), so I'm no authority on this... but what little I did play, I do remember us doing "Oklahoma" in every practice and it seemed like a useful drill to me. Our variation included a ball carrier. In terms of working on how to fight threw a block and make your way to the ball carrier quickly, it made a lot of sense, especially for OLB/DE's. I think having rules on what drills coaches can use in practice is going overboard with the safety legislation.

It has a very specific purpose. To see who is afraid to hit and who is not. It has no other developmental purpose other than to let the coaches know instantly where the players are at mentally. Can't be afraid to hit or be hit. My first Bull in the Ring when I got pointed at was an O=S*** moment. And in my day the timid always sought to hopefully point at someone even more timid. And the bad boys pointed at the timid just to plant them in the ground and F*** with them. The king of the ring was the half-pint DB 2nd stringer that pointed at the biggest baddest mofo. The drill may be useless. But it left no pu***** on the roster.

Yeah, that's just stupid. Banging against a guy with no concern for technique teaches nothing. In fact, it probably teaches bad habits more than anything. If you need to see who is "tough" then you simply suck as a coach.

Yeah, that's just stupid. Banging against a guy with no concern for technique teaches nothing. In fact, it probably teaches bad habits more than anything. If you need to see who is "tough" then you simply suck as a coach.
I think this part depends on which variation of "Oklahoma" is being utilized. It doesn't have to just be an amateur wrestling match.

I think this part depends on which variation of "Oklahoma" is being utilized. It doesn't have to just be an amateur wrestling match.
tenor.gif

ROFL, and this type of mentality is why players from the pasts' brains are mush now.

That may be true. That's just the way it was in the 80's. Our Bull in the Ring was usually at the end of practice. Not meant to teach any technique. But, it did get people jacked up and going for each other. Not sure it did anything else.

VN Store

Back