SEC Baseball Tournament

AllVolinGA

VOL by birth
Would one of you wiser individuals please share with me the rationale behind the 12 team tournament? Why not just have everyone come? Two more teams adds one more game some how. I don't see the big issue. Thanks and I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Exactly! It's also a double elimination tournament after the Tuesday games, SO it rakes the rest of the week to reach Championship Sunday. If you love great baseball, then Hoover is your ticket. We go every year & love it.
Look forward to seeing your trophy bride doing her thing behind the plate.

last year MSU sucked in SEC tournament and was still Champions of the CWS. Lol
Depending on your circumstances, teams need it to 1. have any shot at making a regional; 2. have a shot hosting a regional; or 3. fine tuning to try to make a run to CWS.

Also, it’s that time of the year where schools will start adding midweek games to try to improve their chances of making a regional.

What if they did this, made day one games single elimination. Win or go home. Winner of the East and the West get a bye into Wednesday's bracket facing the highest remaining seeds.

I wish they only allowed the top 10 teams get in. Ever since the expansion to 12 teams getting in, there have been a couple whacky years where 8 or 9 wins is good enough to get in. Usually the 11/12 seeds are right around 10-12 wins. They essentially only have to average winning 1 out of 3 games for the entire conference season to get in. For several years it was only the top 6 or 8 teams making the tournament whenever we had 10 and 12 teams respectively. I think it should go back to leaving the bottom 4 teams out.

I actually think it needs to be just 8 teams- if you have a tourney at all.

After expansion, there were tourneys in each division at school sites that were fun. Of course, it helped that Tennessee won every East tourney before they went to single site.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What if they did this, made day one games single elimination. Win or go home. Winner of the East and the West get a bye into Wednesday's bracket facing the highest remaining seeds.
I haven’t been concerned about this for three years, but the first day is single elimination.

I actually think it needs to be just 8 teams- if you have a tourney at all.

After expansion, there were tourneys in each division at school sites that were fun. Of course, it helped that Tennessee won every East tourney before they went to single site.
I thought about 8 teams as well but here is the issue I have: In the past 3 NCAAT the SEC has received 9,10, and 10 bids respectively. So we are going to make it harder to get an invite into the conference tournament compared to the national tournament?

Reactions: vol94
Here’s preliminary info and times for this season’s SEC tournament:

The 2022 SEC Baseball bracket, schedule, TV times for the tournament

It will be interesting to see how things sort themselves out over the remaining three weekends, especially among the teams in the middle of the standings. I tried sorting out the tiebreakers to this point, and found it somewhat tedious.

#1 seed plays in the 4:30pm on slot on May 25th.

Last edited:
Here’s preliminary info and times for this season’s SEC tournament:

The 2022 SEC Baseball bracket, schedule, TV times for the tournament

It will be interesting to see how things sort themselves out over the remaining three weekends, especially among the teams in the middle of the standings. I tried sorting out the tiebreakers to this point, and found it somewhat tedious.

We play our first game May 25th at 4:30pm.
for those that just want the bracket........Wednesday at 4:30 is the #1 seeds first game, whoever that may be, just didn't want to jinx anything

2022-sec-baseball-bracket.jpg

As of now, we are likely looking at USCjr, Miss State, Alabama, Vandy or Florida in the first round. I think Vandy is about to go on a down slide with UGA, Arkansas, and LSU left on the schedule. They’re up 3 games on the bottom 3 teams in the SEC, but it’s not unfathomable that they could finish 3-6 to end the season.

As of now, we are likely looking at USCjr, Miss State, Alabama, Vandy or Florida in the first round. I think Vandy is about to go on a down slide with UGA, Arkansas, and LSU left on the schedule. They’re up 3 games on the bottom 3 teams in the SEC, but it’s not unfathomable that they could finish 3-6 to end the season.
USCjr and Miss St both won their series over Alabama so I think Alabama would lose any tiebreaker involving those teams. USCjr and Miss St do not play this season so I believe it would go by best record starting with the #1 seed (Tennessee 😎) and go down the line. We swept USCjr so all Miss St would have to do is beat us once. Miss St also didn’t play Vanderbilt but same situation with them since we swept Vanderbilt. Florida and Miss St do play this weekend so this is a huge weekend for those teams.

SEC Baseball Tournament Tiebreakers

VN Store

Back