SEC Arenas

I've only been in a few but Ole Miss and Auburns new areans are solid. Rupp is old and outdated but certainly has the "it"
Factor

I know I am crazy but I like Vandys the best. It has "character" and I like that

Tenn is by far the nicest, biggest and most modern one I have been too.
I like Memorial too. It's like the Wrigley Field of college basketball arenas.

I really don't get how Rupp is always mentioned in the best venues discussion. Same w TBA or the Dean Dome. Large and nondescript. I haven't been to any SEC venue that I thought was all that great. Although I would like to go to Bud Walton.

Outside of the SEC I really like UD Arena in Dayton. A lot of character and a good place to watch a game. I liked Xavier's arena too.
Sat top row at the Cintas Center when we played them there last. It was still was a good seat.

Not in the SEC, but for the historical value, would love to see a "Big 5" game in The Palestra.

Sat top row at the Cintas Center when we played them there last. It was still was a good seat.

Not in the SEC, but for the historical value, would love to see a "Big 5" game in The Palestra.
They recently renovated the Palestra and I’ve heard it’s even better

Reactions: kyvol98
I’ve been in The Pavilion at Ole Miss and The Hump at Miss State.

The Pavilion is nicely done and a small intimate but up to date modern arena. It’s perfect for them. Spacious concourse and good seats and views.

Ranking the 14 SEC arenas...........

1. Thompson Boling Arena
2. Rupp Arena
3. Memorial Gymnasium
4. Bud Walton Arena
5. Memorial Gymnasium
6. Humphrey Coliseum
7. Coleman Coliseum
8. Pete Maravich Assembly Center
9. Craddock Court
10. Auburn Arena
11. Stephen C. O'Connell Center
12. Mizzou Arena
13. Reed Arena
14. Stegeman Coliseum

Thoughts?

I was pretty shocked at how cruddy Rupp was when I went last year
Rupp is garbage. Just a really outdated dump for such a prestigious program. That said, it is supposed to get an almost $300 million, TBA-like facelift that I'm sure will have it amongst the nation's best. It is waaaaay overdue.

Rupp is garbage. Just a really outdated dump for such a prestigious program. That said, it is supposed to get an almost $300 million, TBA-like facelift that I'm sure will have it amongst the nation's best. It is waaaaay overdue.
It's a big, old, out-dated albatross. I'm surprised they didn't do something sooner with their tradition.

Reactions: golfballs
Ranking the 14 SEC arenas...........

1. Thompson Boling Arena
2. Rupp Arena
3. Memorial Gymnasium
4. Bud Walton Arena
5. Memorial Gymnasium
6. Humphrey Coliseum
7. Coleman Coliseum
8. Pete Maravich Assembly Center
9. Craddock Court
10. Auburn Arena
11. Stephen C. O'Connell Center
12. Mizzou Arena
13. Reed Arena
14. Stegeman Coliseum

Thoughts?
Have you been to games at all of them?

Have only been to Florida's Arena in the SEC and didn't think much of it. Plan to see a game at TBA when they play Wisconsin in December. Right now my favorite basketball Arena is Chaifetz Arena home of St. Louis U. It is a palace next to Florida's. I have also seen games at Dayton and it is also a very good basketball venue.

Reactions: golfballs
There is nothing that compares to Stokley when it was rocking. Everything else is a distant second.
My wife is the VFL and has transfused me with Orange Blood. She attended UT when hoops games were played at Stokley. She has never attended a game at TBA.

California got earthquakes, and Nashville got Vandy..............only because California got first pick.

As much as I dislike their silly fans, it IS the 14th ranked university in the U.S. -- and its medical center isn't bad either -- so I think most thinking Nashvillians are glad it's here. I am.

I also like going to Memorial Gym. In recent times, it's been about 40 percent orange for our MBB games there and about 60-70 percent orange for Lady Vols games there. The design is weird because it's pretty obvious that the end zone seating sections were additions to the original structure.

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 10.07.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-13 at 10.04.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ATC_VOL

VN Store

Back