Season of change leaves Tennessee struggling for answers

His "lack of recruiting" was based on the state of the program before he even arrived. I am not sure what is so hard about that to understand, but apparently for some, it is very hard to understand, including you.

But Barnes found five starters (Turner, Alexander Bowden, Bone, Williams) in the 2015/2016 class. How come he was only able to land 1 in two classes in 2017/2018? I’m not buying that reasoning.

Also Barnes took the UT job like three weeks after being fired by Texas. It’s not like he was out of college basketball. So he still had connections.

But Barnes found five starters (Turner, Alexander Bowden, Bone, Williams) in the 2015/2016 class. How come he was only able to land 1 in two classes in 2017/2018? I’m not buying that reasoning.

Also Barnes took the UT job like three weeks after being fired by Texas. It’s not like he was out of college basketball. So he still had connections.

Since you asked, because it takes 5 or 6 years to develop relationships with recruits. You also have to prove that they'll be able to participate in the NCAAT.

Since you asked, because it takes 5 or 6 years to develop relationships with recruits. You also have to prove that they'll be able to participate in the NCAAT.

That’s not the question.

How come he found 5 starters in less time in the 2015/2016 class but only found one starter in 2017/2018 classes? Seems like a lot misses in that two year span.

That’s not the question.

How come he found 5 starters in less time in the 2015/2016 class but only found one starter in 2017/2018 classes? Seems like a lot misses in that two year span.

The classes were horribly out of balance. There are fewer opportunities following large classes.

Top recruits want to be guaranteed participation in the NCAAT. Lesser rated recruits will go where there are opportunities for playing time. I'm glad that the Burns class wasn't filled up and there was room for Keon, Springer, and Walker.

The classes were horribly out of balance. There are fewer opportunities following large classes.

Top recruits want to be guaranteed participation in the NCAAT. Lesser rated recruits will go where there are opportunities for playing time. I'm glad that the Burns class wasn't filled up and there was room for Keon, Springer, and Walker.

Well he had at least six opportunities and went 1/6, so that was a colossal failure.

BTW, Barnes would have at least two scholarships anyways after this year. He doesn’t take Uros or Bailey and that’s plenty for the three incoming guys

His "lack of recruiting" was based on the state of the program before he even arrived. I am not sure what is so hard about that to understand, but apparently for some, it is very hard to understand, including you.
Hard for some to understand that recruiting big time players without cheating takes time. You have to show them you can help them grow their game for professional leagues. Like the waters we our now swimming in

Reactions: cardvolfan
I just wonder how you know who is cheating and who is not. Now, it's obvious with some but there is not a coach in the country that I would be greatly surprised if something came out about them. I think they all are at least at some level. It might just be a slight bending of the rules but I would bet the bank it goes on everywhere.

That string of games where we lost to Memphis, Cincinnati and Wisconsin was the low point of the year. That was some extremely ugly basketball. While we are dysfunctional offensively and inconsistent, I really still enjoy watching this club play no matter how frustrating they are at times. Fulkerson is figuring out (finally) that he is a problem for some opponents. He has an opportunity this weekend vs Kentucky against the type of athletic bigs who have caused him problems. Let’s see if can figure out how to play against them. If he keeps moving he has an advantage, but when he gets stationary he gets pushed around. Pons...put that ball on the floor and go to the rim a bit more young man. Vescovi (with a pick) is slowly proving he can probe and penetrate just enough to kick it out for pretty good looks or is a clever interior passer. The shooters just need to knock it down.

you are entitled to your opinion. to me, that's unreasonable because 1. we arent a blue blood 2. even blue bloods struggle from time to time (UNC this year). It's clear Barnes is a great coach and great recruiter, but this was an obvious rebuild due to losing so much of last seasons productivity
Barnes is the guy. He lost 2 juniors to the pros. If Williams and Bone stay, then this team is handing off from seniors to a talented group of newcomers with seasoned veterans. I will say if Bone and Turner are here we are probable top 15 right now. Obviously Grant was ready, Bone I don’t think so. But hey, you play with what you have. Who would have predicted Bowden being so bad scoring either?

Reactions: goldvol
He.Is.Not.A.Great.Coach.
You talking about Barnes? He's got a 0.656 win rate with 700 career wins. that puts him at number 59 all time. I honestly dont think we could do ANY better.

Going in, Turner and Bowden were the focus. Solid experienced players that needed to make the next step. Looking for JJJ to step in and fill some of the production lost

Uros not cleared
Turner goes out for the season early
Bowden has been up and down trying to add some of the missing numbers
Vescovi comes in and starts within a week of getting on campus trying help fill the void left by Turner
Uros cleared shortly after
JJJ gets dinged up, eventually having to sit out

All of this is going on the season after losing Grant, Admiral, Bone, and Alexander all in the same season
This year has a lot of moving pieces where some are still moving

Been a weird year.

Reactions: sechamp2012

VN Store

Back