Season 1 “Realistic” Expectations

I would like to see improvement from week to week. Seems every year the team regresses throughout the season.

9 wins or they show them both the door. Obviously the talent is here. This is a quick turn around for the boys in orange. If we aren't in a new years day bowl it is a failure and they need fired.

So, now that we have a coach, what do you think our realistic expectations should be for year 1? Being a 500 win percentage team?
Five to 7 wins. They will have to play youth on D but have talent and experience on O. They should score more points and present a problem for those below the UF/UGA/Bama level on D.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
There's absolutely no way this team will have a winning record. They may get one SEC win. I'm not being negative I think thats the reality. I think year 2 will be the same because of poor recruiting that will happen and the NCAA sanctions.

I think the administration will view year 3 as if it was year 1. Next year and the year after wont even count against him at all.

Tennessee will beat TTU and South Alabama and MAYBE Vanderbilt.
I’m with you, people thinking this team will go even 500 is beyond me. I don’t think people understand where we are as a program. Been a fan for over 40 years and my expectations have never been lower. It sucks but it is what it is and it’s not Heupel’s fault and I am thankful he took the job because he will get blasted like never before cause we crazy round here.

We are DEAD in the water I am afraid for this year. Between (unknown) sanctions, players transferring and trying to compete in the SEC?? OMG, any win will be nothing short of a miracle. We have another two years of door mat status before our new coach and new staff will have an honest clue on how to resurrect this program. Just cannot see it happening any sooner than year 3.

If he's a good coach, and he does a good job, then I think he could win between 5-7 games. Honestly, that should be the expectation. Our roster is depleting, but it is still better than TN Tech, Bowling Green, South Alabama, Pitt, and Vanderbilt. Then we have legitimate toss up games with South Carolina, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Missouri.

The bottom of the SEC is still bad. This past year's team, with even competent coaching, would have beaten Kentucky, Arkansas, and Auburn. We have had losses and defections, but who did we really lose that we cannot replace?

Eric Gray's talent will be difficult to replace, but I don't know that his production will be. He didn't have such a dominant season last year that our other runningbacks cannot replicate it.

Hank T - if he leaves - would be a big blow. He was the best defensive player we had last season, and we really could use him in an already thin LB corps.

Bryce is a tough loss. The guy has been a leader for several years now, and losing him stings.

Crouch? At no point has he been so good that he can't be replaced.

Wanya? He yo-yo'd with Jahmir all season because his play has been lackluster.

Jahmir? The coaches played him because Wanya continued to screw up, but it never seemed like they wanted to play Jahmir.

Keyshawn Lawrence could be a great player, but we don't know yet. He's gone, and we just have to make due in the secondary. I attribute him leaving pretty heavily to Jerm's refusal to play young players last year.

We could have used Deondre Johnson, I'll readily admit that.

I just think that there is likely more talent on this team than we are realizing, because they played so uninspired all of last season.
I believe this to be ALL FACTS. GBFO!!!

I don't see us as a .500 team next year. I think 4 wins is about as good as it's gonna get. I'll settle for not being humiliated in our losses.

So, now that we have a coach, what do you think our realistic expectations should be for year 1? Being a 500 win percentage team?

I've got it...another volnation thread.....just wow...these threads never end...for volnation will will go 2 and 99 next year yet again and want to fire and complain to everyone......possibly over 100 ....possibly

8 wins on high side if everyone stays. 5 wins on low side. I personally think offense is good enough to win 6 games given his expertise on that side of ball.

I have zero expectations. Not sure how anyone can come up with any type of prediction right now. I’m just along for the ride.

You all are crazy. It’ll be typical TN for us to get a postseason ban and find ourselves going 12-0 but nothing to claim for it.

VN Store

Back