Search Firm Information

It’s ok guys. I’m gonna tell you what will happen. We going to hire some guy that everyone knows deep down can’t get it done. People will get all excited hell probably even have some coaching tree/analytics break down of why this POS coach will be successful. Fans will pack the stadium our admin will pat themselves on the back and in three years we’ll be right back in the same Fing place we are right now.
U really think it will take 3 years?

For a university worried so damn much about money,wasting it on a search firm that got us Dooley,Jones,. and Kiffin would seemingly be a collissal(spelling)throwing away of cash.Wasn't getting something on Pruitt to save the buyout about money?

Last edited:
No idea why but for some reason I feel like UT is going to get a good coach and come out of this better as a program. Maybe not great, and maybe not even the person that is coaching next year. Maybe the next next coach. Idk this is based on absolutely nothing but it seems like there is a history of infractions to teams followed by pretty good turnarounds. I also think that after the last 15 years the people in charge know that this is pretty much it as far as righting the ship under their watch. The cleaning of house leads me to believe TPTB understand all that and are pretty much wiping the slate clean and starting fresh. It’s obviously not ideal today, it might not be ideal tomorrow or next year even but I just have this feeling that it’s going to work out for the Vols in the long run. And again it may not be the coach that’s leading them next year, might have a stop gap (see Matt Luke > Lane Kiffin) or just someone that calms the waters for a year or two leading to a much better feeling around the program for the next coach. Not that what anyone here cares what an outsider has to say but I get the feeling that this is going to end up working out for y’all.

I personally appreciate the sentiment. I also tend to agree with you. We will see.

Reactions: DarthGator
Should we really be surprised? This is the same University that hired a search firm when Dickey retired, only to hire Hamilton. Dickey's assistant AD.

You're going to get an up and comer from Georgia Auto Body and Fender Repair College or similar with these guys and buying him out in 3 years ... ... ... again.

They were laughing at UT for using a search firm to get a AD. For goodness sakes they should know who they want instead pay folks a bunch of cash to folks that aren't even from this part of the country to find you a AD. It's like they can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Search firms=waste of money. WAKE UP VOLS!!!!

Atlanta isn’t this part of the country?

One big thing with search firms is they see who's interested in the job instead of publicly being turned down...like last time a few times🤣 I'm not saying they're good or bad but it is nice knowing who's interested in the job beforehand

A Search firm? This administration has done everything to kill our program. This won't get any better and if you think so then I have beach side property in new Mexico to sell.

Dan Parker and his son, Daniel, who run Parker's Athletics division, are both UGA alums and big supporters.

Think Dan even serves or did serve on various boards at UGA.

$120,000 is actually a good deal if we pay market rate of 1-1.25 million per year for AD. Most retained search firms are at least 28-30% of annual salary.

End of the day, all they are doing are carrying out the phone calls and getting in the mud for the administration. They aren't going to be producing candidates from left field as they will be instructed on who to target.
Search firm is another name for an employee recruitment service. 30-40% is the going rate of the 1st years base salary for the candidate. Same in all industry and not just colleges

Reactions: Fore
Search firm is another name for an employee recruitment service. 30-40% is the going rate of the 1st years base salary for the candidate. Same in all industry and not just colleges

Not sure what your point/argument is as I stated at LEAST 28-30% of salary, hence implying UT is getting a good fee.

Also, even the premium large firms like Korn Ferry, Heidrick & Struggles, and Spencer Stuart don't typically get more than 33-35% salary+expected short term bonus incentives for high profile executive/C-Suite retained searches.

Regardless, getting White for $120K retained will likely equate to less than 10% of annualized salary plus bonus. I'm sure they will also the search for the HC.

LMAO

Paying 120 K for someone to scan LinkedIn and grab a coach from Dollar General if we are lucky.

How the hell do they put their faith in the firm that brought in Cuonzo and Dooley?
I thought and still think Cuonzo was a great hire. It didn't get screwed up until he arrived

LMAO

Paying 120 K for someone to scan LinkedIn and grab a coach from Dollar General if we are lucky.

How the hell do they put their faith in the firm that brought in Cuonzo and Dooley?

The search firm isn't the one responsible for making the hire. The search firm brought UT a pool of candidates that fit UTs requirements. UT's requirements were "we are cheap AF". We got what we asked for. The AD made the hire not the search firm.

The search firm isn't the one responsible for making the hire. The search firm brought UT a pool of candidates that fit UTs requirements. UT's requirements were "we are cheap AF". We got what we asked for. The AD made the hire not the search firm.

Understood.

But using your own words, the "pool of candidates" provided by the search firm should give one pause.

I thought and still think Cuonzo was a great hire. It didn't get screwed up until he arrived

I just never could stand his brand of basketball.

Felt too much like the 80s Pistons to me.

All for physical defenses but not at the expense of functional offensive sets.

Parker Executive Search is most certainty not the best search firm in the world let alone Atlanta. Most of their people are UGA grads which is a very limited education based network (something critical for that business). The main job is to screen/research candidates, they have done a terrible job as most of the coaches we have hired with them should have never passed the introduction phone call.

You were on point, once again....but not really. Really man, just stop. Please

I just never could stand his brand of basketball.

Felt too much like the 80s Pistons to me.

All for physical defenses but not at the expense of functional offensive sets.
I don't think anyone in the world liked the Dean Smith brand in the seventies, but, for it's time, it was winning basketball

You insinuated that they would fail us because that is what they have always done. Given today’s AD hire, that appears to be quiet the opposite.
Historically they have done a terrible job. They got a good list for Chancellor and President to pick for this AD but 1 right out of 7 total is not good odds or performance.

I am glad I was wrong, they sure didn't drag like I was worried they would hiring a AD. This time we may finally have a plan. Great AD hire, certainly a quality hire. GBO!!!!

Historically they have done a terrible job. They got a good list for Chancellor and President to pick for this AD but 1 right out of 7 total is not good odds or performance.
So I was recruited a few times by a search firm (not executive level) and they’ll generally initiate the conversation to gage interest. In one instance I told them I wasn’t interested because I knew about the companies rep, so who’s to say that the other times that it was just a case that candidates were telling us no. I’ll also say that a search firm helped me make a hire by finding a guy I didn’t even know about and the kid is a rockstar, compared to the pool of guys I was interviewing and got apps from.

What interesting is that both Currie and Hart didn’t use a search firm for their head coach hire and look how that turned out. Either way there are a lot of variables, and you can’t necessarily pin it on the search firm

VN Store

Back