SCOTUS to decide whether Title VII bars discrimination against LGBTQ

What's interesting is that it seems transgender people may have a better argument for falling under "sex" discrimination under Title VII than homosexuals.

Isn't discrimination covered under other laws? Title IX has been stretched well beyond it's original intent.

Title IX applies in the education context; Title VII to the workplace.

It's been awhile since I did any employment law, but I think the Supreme Court has already held that you can't discriminate against a woman or a man for not conforming to sex stereotypes. Seems pretty straightforward to move from that to finding that you can't discriminate against transgender people for the same reason.

Edit: Here's a summary of the case I was referring to

Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Isn't discrimination covered under other laws? Title IX has been stretched well beyond it's original intent.

I’m just a low born from flee bottom ( Yes GOT reference for the day ) but I’m guessing they are seeking to force companies to place them into higher positions that represent the company . Example ... if I am trans and chose to dress like Cher and apply for a sells rep position say for Caterpillar you will have to consider me or I’ll sue you because I’ll call it discrimination .

Title IX applies in the education context; Title VII to the workplace.

It's been awhile since I did any employment law, but I think the Supreme Court has already held that you can't discriminate against a woman or a man for not conforming to sex stereotypes. Seems pretty straightforward to move from that to finding that you can't discriminate against transgender people for the same reason.

What's next? Quotas?

They can be whatever they want after work. While at work, they need to be what their boss wants. I'm sure there's lots a companies that are willing to hire weirdos, let them work there.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
My thing is when in the world does sexual preference and identity ever come up in the hiring process?

VN Store

Back