Scott Edgar

Long time no post. Yes, Brady has expressed interest in the UAB job before (and before Anderson brought us back to the level we are now). As previously mentioned, he also does have alot of Birmingham connections and was HC of Samford here in Birmingham from 91-97. He isnt likely to come now after this Final 4 as LSU will make him a very happy man, but rumor has it that he had been very unhappy with his previous contract.

Having said all that, Scott Edgar is the most likely replacement. He loves Birmingham, really wants the UAB job, knows most of the players, knows our administration, etc. Edgar can flat out recruit and would be a good pick for us to continue our style of basketball. Afterall... we trademarked the "Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball" slogan.

Ha.

No amount of medication could help Scarbinsky.

I agree with hatvol and blazer. LSU will probably go pretty far in making Brady very happy in Baton Rouge for several years.

But who knows...crazier things have happened. Like Indiana hiring Kelvin Samson.

(TennTide24 @ Mar 28 said:
Ha.

No amount of medication could help Scarbinsky.

I agree with hatvol and blazer. LSU will probably go pretty far in making Brady very happy in Baton Rouge for several years.
But who knows...crazier things have happened. Like Indiana hiring Kelvin Samson.
An absolutely horrible hire, on a number of levels.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 28 said:
An absolutely horrible hire, on a number of levels.

Yeah that one baffled me. Especially after his recent/current run-in with the NCAA. Improper contacts to recruits, failure to monitor, etc. That usually gets somebody fired, not hired to one of the premier college basketball programs.

(TennTide24 @ Mar 29 said:
Yeah that one baffled me. Especially after his recent/current run-in with the NCAA. Improper contacts to recruits, failure to monitor, etc. That usually gets somebody fired, not hired to one of the premier college basketball programs.
At this point, I think it's a stretch to call IU a premier program.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 30 said:
Reports are that it is down to Coach Edgar and Mike Davis for the job.

As a UAB fan (and employee) this is a tough choice.

Mike Davis would bring short-term attention to the team. As was pointed out locally here, Midnight Madness would get national attention at UAB because of his presence. On the downside if he is successful, he will likely get good offers more quickly than Edgar. Additionally, his style is not the "fastest 40 minutes in BBall".

Edgar wouldn't bring the attention but would continue the style. He would probably stay longer from lack of big offers.

UAB is a distant third in this state to Bama and Aub. At this point, I'm more inclined to think entertaining style (plus tourney appearances) trumps attention coupled with a less exciting but potentially more effective style and recruiting with Davis. UAB games under Anderson were ALWAYS exciting no matter what the outcome. Some say winning fixes everything but UAB has a big hurdle in this state. Exciting style may trump everything in this case!

(volinbham @ Mar 30 said:
As a UAB fan (and employee) this is a tough choice.

Mike Davis would bring short-term attention to the team. As was pointed out locally here, Midnight Madness would get national attention at UAB because of his presence. On the downside if he is successful, he will likely get good offers more quickly than Edgar. Additionally, his style is not the "fastest 40 minutes in BBall".

Edgar wouldn't bring the attention but would continue the style. He would probably stay longer from lack of big offers.

UAB is a distant third in this state to Bama and Aub. At this point, I'm more inclined to think entertaining style (plus tourney appearances) trumps attention coupled with a less exciting but potentially more effective style and recruiting with Davis. UAB games under Anderson were ALWAYS exciting no matter what the outcome. Some say winning fixes everything but UAB has a big hurdle in this state. Exciting style may trump everything in this case!
Mike Davis is a terrible, terrible basketball coach.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 30 said:
Mike Davis is a terrible, terrible basketball coach.

He is a strange guy. His emotional state could be described as unstable. But, he is not a terrible coach. He did some good things at IU. Even took them to the Final Four. Edgar cannot say he has ever done that.

(therickbol @ Mar 31 said:
He is a strange guy. His emotional state could be described as unstable. But, he is not a terrible coach. He did some good things at IU. Even took them to the Final Four. Edgar cannot say he has ever done that.
Did you notice his trend at IU? Almost straight down. He took a program that hadn't missed the NCAA tournament since 1985 and managed to do so in consecutive years. Jerry Green would be a comparable coach. Davis managed to alienate everybody he came in contact with. As to Edgar never coaching a team to the Final Four, I would ask if he's ever been handed the keys to one of the all-time winningest programs in colege basketball on a silver platter. The only qualification Mike Davis had to coach IU is that he was there when Coach Knight was dismissed. Someone will make a terrible mistake and hire Davis. Then, in about 3-4 years, they can fire him.

I am not putting out a ringing edorsement for the guy. I am just saying he is not a "terrible, terrible" coach as stated.

(therickbol @ Mar 31 said:
I am not putting out a ringing edorsement for the guy. I am just saying he is not a "terrible, terrible" coach as stated.
I completely stand by my assessment. In three years he'll be back coaching in the CBA where he belongs.

I don't think that Davis is a terrible coach, but as a local who follows UAB basketball very closely, I don't want to see him here. His persona is very brash. UAB is a team that needs to sell it's program to the locals, Davis ain't that kind of guy. His continuous conflicts with the folks up in Indiana scare me in regards to his possible hire.

If the interim AD at UAB is true to his word, the final coach will be between Chris Giles and Scott Edgar. I still wish they'd hire Nolan Richardson. Yep, I understand he's had his share of conflicts in the past, but he's served his time and I suspect he could do wonders for UAB.

I agree with BHAMVOLFAN. UAB needs a PR guy as well as coach (someone like Pearl!). Alabama has a weird fanbase. Loyalties are so strong that many Bama fans hate UAB and likewise many UAB fans hate Bama. But, Bama won't play UAB even in basketball. Anderson wasn't Mr. Personality but he put a very exciting product on the floor night in and night out. Someone with the same style (up tempo) and some PR skills would be critical for UAB to maintain the momentum. Maybe Edgar learned some PR tactics from Pearl?

UAB's other big problem is Conference USA. While there are decent teams (UAB, Houston, UTEP) and one good team (Memphis), the league is doomed to 1 or 2 tourney spots unless the league upgrades.

My guess is that UAB's best hope in the short-term is as a coach proving ground. I think they can expect to be looking for a new coach every 4 years or so.

Tennessee assistant men's basketball coach Scott Edgar is one of three finalists for the Southeast Missouri State head-coaching job.

The others are former Ole Miss head coach Rod Barnes and Jay Spoonhour, a former assistant coach at Missouri.

(mattvols @ Apr 3 said:
i'd go with Rod Barnes hes a proven coach
Yeah, proven he can win with players recruited by Rob Evans. As soon as Rob's recruits were gone, that program went straight in the tank. Jay Spoonhour would do a great job for SEMO. UNLV should have promoted him after the job he did as interim coach a couple of years ago.

It appears that Mike Davis will be the choice at UAB. A terrible choice, but the choice nonetheless.

VN Store

Back