Scott Cochran to UGA as on-the-field Coach per Bruce Feldman (merged)

This guy has been a world class trength and conditioning coach so Kirby genius that he is has decided he's to become an on the field special teams coach. That's like taking a Ferrari to a tractor pull. I an't skleered at all. The great news? He's not doing strength and conditioning for Bama or UGA.
I mean in a way you do whatever you need to so that Bama is weakened. If the on the field experiment doesn’t pan out you slide him over to strength and conditioning. In any case I would bet he has some insight into Georgia’s Strength and Conditioning program. I hate Kirby and maybe this doesn’t work out greatly but it’s a good gamble, at worst this hurts Georgia very little and hurts Bama a lot.

Was Saban supposed to organize a last minute, offseason team meeting to let Cochran "say goodbye"? I'm sure Scott has everyone's email. Write a note.
You are the Bama expert. It was my understanding that there was a team meeting and Cochran was not allowed.

Was Saban supposed to organize a last minute, offseason team meeting to let Cochran "say goodbye"? I'm sure Scott has everyone's email. Write a note.
Nah. Telling everybody to get their butt in the meeting room would be too Herculean an order for the ole creator of The Process. 😒

You are the Bama expert. It was my understanding that there was a team meeting and Cochran was not allowed.
Better than my response. That’s right...they were ALREADY IN A DAMN MEETING! 🤣

Reading one of their forums it doesnt sound like Saban made any effort to keep him. They did have a lot of injuries last year so maybe not as big of a loss as people are making it out to be and they're already talking to the Oregon S&C coach. Georgia fans think they've won a superbowl hahaha!!

News to me. There were workouts, but there are always workouts. I'm sure whomever was on the docket yesterday was informed, and I'm sure it wasn't by Cochran.

Every year something happens with Georgia that people swear "this is their year", even some of our own. However, every year they pull a Georgia, and never win it all. 40 years and counting!!😄

Makes you mad doesn't it?

Reading one of their forums it doesnt sound like Saban made any effort to keep him. They did have a lot of injuries last year so maybe not as big of a loss as people are making it out to be and they're already talking to the Oregon S&C coach. Georgia fans think they've won a superbowl hahaha!!
Their injuries started when Butch jones showed up.

I would want to know if Cochran had changed his workouts in any meaningful way to lead to injuries or they are just luck of the draw?

Some injuries like ACLs are lightning strikes. And if he didnt make any major changes I dont know why the last two seasons have been any worse than the previous ten.

Not true. While 2019 was worse, 2017 was awful for injuries. Of the 8 linebackers on the 2-deep, only one was available for all 14 games, and he started the year as a backup.

I would want to know if Cochran had changed his workouts in any meaningful way to lead to injuries or they are just luck of the draw?

Some injuries like ACLs are lightning strikes. And if he didnt make any major changes I dont know why the last two seasons have been any worse than the previous ten.

That's the big question. I can't imagine that Cochran's workouts suddenly changed over the last 3 or 4 years, so it's fairly tough to defend the argument that he had any impact on the raft of injuries. But something got much, much worse, even if that something was pure luck.

There is no strength program in the country that can prevent torn acls and hip injuries with 2 300lbers falling on you. In fact, I believe the additional bulk and size is one reason for the increased torn ACLs. Just a theory but too many are non-contact with big guys.

There is no strength program in the country that can prevent torn acls and hip injuries with 2 300lbers falling on you. In fact, I believe the additional bulk and size is one reason for the increased torn ACLs. Just a theory but too many are non-contact with big guys.

Yeah. When my dad played at TnTech back in the 50's, he was a punter and half back at maybe 150 lbs. They considered a 200 lb lineman to be quite the obstacle. These days 200 lbs won't even make a LB.

The records are nearly identical and I’m not sure why people use that as a negative. Richt’s first 5 years he won SEC titles, SEC COY, and had a terrific record. Richt’s last few years are when he began to regress. Kirby is so far showing he’s more willing to make changes when necessary and remain aggressive. We’ll see how the future plays out but I just don’t see how having a terrific start to a career and being compared to a highly successful coach is a negative.
Because ya'll fire that "highly successful coach" and claimed Kirby is the savior that will get you to the promised land.

I'm not sure how a lack of S&C causes injuries like Tua's or Moses's. I believe Dylan Moses's ACL tear was a non-contact one in practice...seems like a total fluke and just bad luck.

Can anybody shed light on what types of injuries are caused by a lack of S&C? Are there specific injuries or types of injuries you can point to? If your team is always gassed and getting outplayed in the second half, that could very well be due to a lack of conditioning, but not sure if you can highlight specific injuries/injury types. Remember, Butch's teams got hurt a lot, but the defense was also totally gassed a lot late in games. Especially the defensive line. I think the defense being exhausted in the second half is more indicative of his awful S&C program rather than the injuries.

When you've had the lack of injuries Alabama has had over the years, and then you have a year where there seem to be greater than normal, I think you have to write that off as bad luck unless it keeps persisting year after year.

Saban had already expressed an issue with former assistants taking guys with them... now Smart takes arguably Saban's top assistant. I don't think it's as big of a hire as people let on, but it seems like Saban is taking this personally. Considering he's nearing the end of his career... I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a Fulmer and finds a way to use his influence to take down a rival. The gloves come off now.

Saban hints at friction with Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt

Reactions: SoddyVol
Wow this is pretty big news. Cochran was the best S&C coach in the nation for quite sometime. Not saying it definitely is, but this COULD be the start of Sabans decline.

Because ya'll fire that "highly successful coach" and claimed Kirby is the savior that will get you to the promised land.
Not after the first 4 years I don’t believe. Since Pruitt is 13-12 and Butch was 12-13 after 2 years, does that make them the same? I see Pruitt building a much stronger team just like Kirby seems to be building a stronger program than Richt. Right was a terrific coach who had some great years followed by some average years which led to his firing.

I'm just commenting on what seems to be prevailing sentiment on their boards. Some comments say that on average players across the board are getting smaller than they were in years past because today's game puts a premium on speed. I'm sure they're just trying to convince themselves it's no big deal and the process will roll on. I guess we'll see. At the very least Alabama needs to make an appearance in the NC game this season or the talk they're in decline is for real IMO.

VN Store

Back