Schofield's Play So Far

Forces a lot of shots early in the possession...

Good shooter at times, but never going to be a great shooter imo...

Needs to attack the rim more..

Especially early in the game, its like he needs to take one of the first few shoots every game. I'm all for mid range but not shoots with a foot on the three point line or slightly inside it him and bone are the worst about those.

Admiral might need to learn the story of Dale Ellis. He played in the paint for most of his time while helping TN win an SEC title. That didn't hold him back him from turning into the NBA's best 3-point shooter just a few years later.
Man, Dale Ellis was a beast, even an All-America, I think. Ellis and Reggie Johnson started my crush on UT basketball, then Tony White and Dyron Nix made me fall head over heels in love with 'em. Btw, UT got shafted in the NCAA Tournament. How the he!! do u get matched up with Virginia and Ralph Sampson, 2 years in a row ?

Reactions: Dtj64 and whodatvol
He'll be fine. This isn't the first time he has started slow in the early season, but he'll pick it up by SEC season again. He had 20 points on 8/9 shooting and 2/2 from deep. I think he just got a little amped for Kansas, and took to many 3s. Again, he does need to take them, and take them often, but it has to be in the flow of the offense.

Admiral is a bruiser who can shoot a little.

When he gets away from that he loses what makes him special.

I think I said this a few weeks ago.

Im glad he's on our side but he's not what some here would like you to believe.

But Bowden. Ughh. Jalen looked good and capped a three. Not sure why he isn’t getting more of Bowdens minutes.

Because he is horrible on defense and right now we aren’t having a problem putting the ball in the basket, if we were then maybe you consider giving him some of those minutes, but not at this stage. There is way too much panicking and overreaction going on, if we are having same issues come SEC play then I would look at things.

I thought Bowden looked much more comfortable last night. He played with his head up and tried several things, some worked. It’s not like we need much from him but the defense needs to account for him

Reactions: Vols All Day
His 3pta/min is exactly the same this year as last year, the reason people are noticing it more and asking these questions is because last year he made 40% of them and this year so far only 32%.
Right. He’s forcing it a bit.

If he’s trying to develop more of a midrange and 3pt game then he is 100% correct. And in this lineup as long as Alexander is contributing in the post then that is where he should be. He just needs to quit pushing so hard. He’ll get it going. Seems to me he’s a player who takes a little bit to get going but ends up finishing the year as if he’s our best player

Reactions: cardvolfan
Glad to see Admiral drive , smile and enjoy playing again. They are a fun team to watch. On Bowden, said that yesterday that CRB plays him because of his defensive skills and I agree he did look a little more comfortable last night. Pons did a great job for his first start and should continue to start in my humble opinion. Guard play is driving CRB crazy, they are so inconsistent. Bone has the most upside and is playing better than last year, if he can continue to grow and provide more consistency it will huge. GBO, nice win!!

Reactions: cardvolfan
Because he is horrible on defense and right now we aren’t having a problem putting the ball in the basket, if we were then maybe you consider giving him some of those minutes, but not at this stage. There is way too much panicking and overreaction going on, if we are having same issues come SEC play then I would look at things.
I can't tell you the number of times Johnson lost his man last night.....just not a good defender it seems. Otherwise his upside is huge.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Actually, I'm thinking of 2017 when he got consistently better through the year
1543512532624.png

Man, Dale Ellis was a beast, even an All-America, I think. Ellis and Reggie Johnson started my crush on UT basketball, then Tony White and Dyron Nix made me fall head over heels in love with 'em. Btw, UT got shafted in the NCAA Tournament. How the he!! do u get matched up with Virginia and Ralph Sampson, 2 years in a row ?
All of what you say is spot-on!

Am I the only one who is tired of hearing the words Johnson and upside in the same sentence. He is in his third year and still nothing. By 2025 I bet he will be a beast.

Am I the only one who is tired of hearing the words Johnson and upside in the same sentence. He is in his third year and still nothing. By 2025 I bet he will be a beast.

It’s also hard to see what his window is going to be, we lose Schofield but gain Josiah next year, hard to see his minutes changing next year...now as a senior it seemingly is wide open, but that’s 2 years from now.

Doesn't trigger me at all. Kids that age mature at different rates. It took Alexander a couple of years to figure it out and he still hasn't hit his potential.

Would just about bet that johnson gets ALOT of minutes next year. Might even start a couple.

He was redshirted one year, and would you rather us say he will never contribute? I can say it if you wish.

Would just about bet that johnson gets ALOT of minutes next year. Might even start a couple.
What do you wanna bet?

Only departure from rotation is Schofield and like I said we add Josiah James, so unless you think Jalen>Josiah then probably not gonna be much different.

Josiah is a pg. Johnson a 2/3

1. Josiah can play more than 1 position.

2. Right now Turner and Bowden are your backup PG’s, if Josiah is your backup PG next year where do you think Turner and Bowden pickup minutes at? The 2&3.

Bone/Turner/Bowden/Schofield/Pons...our guys who mainly play 1/2/3, total 132mpg with 120mpg available at those 3 positions combined. Remove Schofield’s 32mpg and you have to insert James somewhere into that 1-3 slot, whether that is at the 1 and Bone plays some 2 and now Bowden some 3 etc. those minutes are going to come from that grouping and won’t be much left for Johnson.

I could see
Bone
James
Johnson
Grant
Insert name here

Personally. You don’t have much shooting, but if you add Kent at the 5 that gives you another option.

I could see
Bone
James
Johnson
Grant
Insert name here

Personally. You don’t have much shooting, but if you add Kent at the 5 that gives you another option.
Like I said, I will gladly take any bet stating he starts games or plays A LOT of minutes next season.

VN Store

Back