Schiano / Who Leaked the Hire?

The most telling thing about the Curry mess was an article I read right after he was fired. In it, there was a couple sentences talking about Curry’s wife crying and being all upset because he was fired for doing what he was told to do ( I think she meant hire Shiano specifically) There is no way you make that hire if you have a choice. For one, once others in the AD found out, all of them were trying to talk him out of it. He was told how bad a hire this would be and reminded just how much a failure his time in Jacksonville was....The players straight up loathed him.....and he was still going to hire him. There was also already stories out there that Haslam was going to hire him for the Browns and his GM pretty much told him to go to hell....he refused to hire him because of his reputation at Jacksonville. If there was an actual search, he would have never passed even a casual background check for multiple reasons. Why take on all that baggage, when there was way better coaches without all the issues (real or not the optics on Schiano were bad).
I think Curry is an idiot and a dirtbag but I also think he was smart enough to know this hire was gonna be problems for him and that’s why he tried to sneak it in. He was a puppet and the whole thing still pisses me off. 42ED171D-4779-472C-AA35-F52BADD58BA4.jpeg

I have to be honest, I meet Schiano when he was coaching in Tampa and I was managing Grimaldis Pizza at Westshore and liked the guy. He was very polite,humble, and down to earth. His kids were well behaved and polite as well but, it doesn't make him a great coach. He's a good gut but not good enough for TENNESSEE.

The most telling thing about the Curry mess was an article I read right after he was fired. In it, there was a couple sentences talking about Curry’s wife crying and being all upset because he was fired for doing what he was told to do ( I think she meant hire Shiano specifically) There is no way you make that hire if you have a choice. For one, once others in the AD found out, all of them were trying to talk him out of it. He was told how bad a hire this would be and reminded just how much a failure his time in Jacksonville was....The players straight up loathed him.....and he was still going to hire him. There was also already stories out there that Haslam was going to hire him for the Browns and his GM pretty much told him to go to hell....he refused to hire him because of his reputation at Jacksonville. If there was an actual search, he would have never passed even a casual background check for multiple reasons. Why take on all that baggage, when there was way better coaches without all the issues (real or not the optics on Schiano were bad).
I think Curry is an idiot and a dirtbag but I also think he was smart enough to know this hire was gonna be problems for him and that’s why he tried to sneak it in. He was a puppet and the whole thing still pisses me off. View attachment 191443

If what you say is true, that Currie did as he was told be a bit kinder. I have had jobs where all the real power was in the hands of an individual or group. It was understood if we employees didn't do as told, we'd lose our jobs, and in some cases have negative reports inserted in our records. That would follow us when we applied for employment elsewhere. We had no means of redress without being able to hire a high powered lawyer. Added to that was state and local agencies too happy to let the employer regulate themselves. So we toed the line. As a matter of fact, this is the climate that exists in many police departments and why honest officers get fired, relieved of employment )asked to resign), demoted and the like. For years, it was how women were made to keep their mouths shut about harassment, witnesses to embezzlement and more. I don't know if Currie was in that situation as your post suggests but if he was, be a little kinder. I and many others have been there, in the last place I worked, I just upped and left. I entered employment in a completely different field. And damn if I didn't get a call from my now former employer and even a visit asking me to sign a nondisclosure form, I told them exactly where to go. Then I sent the information I had including some internal memos I kept when the state 's political climate changed. Four of those bastards are no longer employed as a result. Sometimes your hands are tied behind your back and you're gagged. Especially when you have a family to house and feed. If that was Currie's case, he has my sympathy as I've been there not once but thrice.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh
If what you say is true, that Currie did as he was told be a bit kinder. I have had jobs where all the real power was in the hands of an individual or group. It was understood if we employees didn't do as told, we'd lose our jobs, and in some cases have negative reports inserted in our records. That would follow us when we applied for employment elsewhere. We had no means of redress without being able to hire a high powered lawyer. Added to that was state and local agencies were too happy to let the employer regulate themselves. So we toed the line. As a matter of fact, this is the climate that exists in many police departments and why honest officers get fired, relieved of employment, demoted and the like. For years, it was how women were made to keep their mouths shut about harassment, witnesses to embezzlement and more. I don't know if Currie was in that situation as your post suggests but if he was, be a little kinder. I and many others have been there, in the last place I worked, I just upped and left. I entered employment in a completely different field. And damn if I didn't get a call and even a visit asking me to sign a nondisclosure form, I told them exactly where to go. Then I sent the information I had including some internal memos I kept when state political climate changed. Four of those bastards are no longer employed as a result. Sometimes your hands are tied behind your back and you're gagged. Especially when you have a family to house and feed. If that was Currie's case, he has my sympathy as I've been there not once but thrice.

Some employers refer to the situation you describe as the golden handcuffs. Sux in a big way.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
If what you say is true, that Currie did as he was told be a bit kinder. I have had jobs where all the real power was in the hands of an individual or group. It was understood if we employees didn't do as told, we'd lose our jobs, and in some cases have negative reports inserted in our records. That would follow us when we applied for employment elsewhere. We had no means of redress without being able to hire a high powered lawyer. Added to that was state and local agencies were too happy to let the employer regulate themselves. So we toed the line. As a matter of fact, this is the climate that exists in many police departments and why honest officers get fired, relieved of employment, demoted and the like. For years, it was how women were made to keep their mouths shut about harassment, witnesses to embezzlement and more. I don't know if Currie was in that situation as your post suggests but if he was, be a little kinder. I and many others have been there, in the last place I worked, I just upped and left. I entered employment in a completely different field. And damn if I didn't get a call and even a visit asking me to sign a nondisclosure form, I told them exactly where to go. Then I sent the information I had including some internal memos I kept when state political climate changed. Four of those bastards are no longer employed as a result. Sometimes your hands are tied behind your back and you're gagged. Especially when you have a family to house and feed. If that was Currie's case, he has my sympathy as I've been there not once but thrice.
I 100% agree with what you say and don’t really have a problem with Currie. I get upset when I think about these powerful individuals/groups that have turned the football program (something we care so much about) into a pissing contest behind the scene. Currie was just the pawn of the moment.

I think Curry is an idiot and a dirtbag but I also think he was smart enough to know this hire was gonna be problems for him and that’s why he tried to sneak it in. He was a puppet and the whole thing still pisses me off. View attachment 191443
I don’t believe he was ever in Jacksonville. I assume you meant Tampa. Wonder how accurate the rest of your post is.

I have to be honest, I meet Schiano when he was coaching in Tampa and I was managing Grimaldis Pizza at Westshore and liked the guy. He was very polite,humble, and down to earth. His kids were well behaved and polite as well but, it doesn't make him a great coach. He's a good gut but not good enough for TENNESSEE.

Grimaldi's is one of the only reason's I miss having to cross the bridges for work. I may have to head there for dinner tonight.

Reactions: tomreedvol4life
Curries wife is crying all the way to the bank

I really do not think Schiano would have been a good candidate for us but I really do not understand our fan base crucifying him on evidence that was hear say at best. It could not be used in a court of law.

I do wonder if Fulmer leaked it to Condredge. He obviously is the person that profited from the situation.
Neyland Stadium is not a court of law. It is far more hallowed and imbued with greatness.
A multi year/million$$ hire requires less than a reasonable doubt to seem stupid.

Reactions: JBondVol
I did not hear any VFL's say anything during that time frame. Unless you have a "link". How do you know what was Peyton doing or not?

If it was not well-guarded then show the link and or Tweets, before it got leaked.

That ambush hire was going to be a done deal before someone said H*** No!!

Had to be an insider like Anderson who had enough.

Maybe there was a coup, but thank God for that too.

Well, I was standing with a VFL when he received one of those calls that Saturday morning. Beyond that, it was widely reported at the time that Peyton was making those calls. If you don't remember that, then you just weren't paying attention.

As for staff members, it wasn't just one that was leaking it to try and stop it. There were at least a half dozen that were working the phones late Saturday and into Sunday.

Well, I was standing with a VFL when he received one of those calls that Saturday morning. Beyond that, it was widely reported at the time that Peyton was making those calls. If you don't remember that, then you just weren't paying attention.

As for staff members, it wasn't just one that was leaking it to try and stop it. There were at least a half dozen that were working the phones late Saturday and into Sunday.

Thanks for the detailed info!!

Man I’m so damn sick of that Haslam controls everything. Why on earth would he want to control the coaching hires at the university and even more importantly...why in the hell would someone stake their entire career on the recommendation of haslem? I just don’t by it. Nobody is that dumb. I think I was Currie’s decision alone. And he was just so out of touch with the fan base (and really college football in general)...that he didn’t realize how disappointing of a hire this was going to be. After all the underwhelming hires/decisions of the past decade we were looking for a change. We were hoping the administration would ponie up for a big exciting name. Ultimately, because of the debacle that took place...we had no chance for that huge hire in the end. But at least we prevented schiano and got a well respected sec coordinator. And we might look back one day and thank our lucky stars we got Pruitt. Lol. You just never know.

I really do not think Schiano would have been a good candidate for us but I really do not understand our fan base crucifying him on evidence that was hear say at best. It could not be used in a court of law.

I do wonder if Fulmer leaked it to Condredge. He obviously is the person that profited from the situation.
Court of public opinion and court of law is two seperate things. I'd like to think that Schiano had nothing whatsoever to do with the mess at Penn State but that's just a chance that you DO NOT take. The program is down anyways, nothing could kill it faster than them hiring not only an incompetent head coach again but also someone who supposedly had knowledge of the fiasco at Penn State.

I thought it came out of a court of law. Wasn't the statement about Schiano given under oath? I don't think he was questioned about it in a court of law but I'm pretty sure his tie-in was given in a sworn statement by someone.

All i know was it was awesome whoever the first poster on here linked the leak....i remember it saying something like
"Its Schiano grab a rope"

Lol

Reactions: LosingFaithVol
All of that is right but it was Tampa Bay not Jacksonville lol

These are questions worth asking because Manning has been glaringly absent(compared to his previous years of glowing sideline appearances) from Tennessee in my opinion since all this went down. Like many, I’ve been an over the top Peyton Manning fan. But if you read various stories about his loyalties at Tennessee, they mostly belong to the Haslams. And I hate that....I hate it for the University, I hate it for my favorite football Vol- Peyton, and I hate it for myself and all the Vols fans who feel the same. Unfortunately there is significant truth to his ties with the Haslams, here is one such viewpoint from Clay Travis.....
Game of Thrones Meets Tennessee Athletics

Reactions: 4chrissy

VN Store

Back