Scary movie season

hndog609

So we're coming up on Samhain so what are the nominations for best "scary" movies of the last 10 years or so? Maybe everybody can throw in their favorite classic but I'm wanting to hear more recent submissions. (hopefully some good ones I'm not even aware of)

For Halloween I always watch the movie of the same name and Trick 'r Treat.

Hellhouse LLC. Really good. It’s a “found footage” film kind of like Blair Witch.

The conjuring is one of my recent favorites.

Ok you want a few good ones, here you go

Red Snow 2
High Tension
Exorcist Directors cut
Children of the Corn
VHS and VHS2
Tales of Halloween

Check out a movie on Netflix called The Devils Candy. It gets stupid at the end but pretty solid overall.

Another pretty good one on Netflix right now is Gerald's Game.

Last edited:
I don't really like the jump scare/gory stuff and prefer the more suspenseful genre and instead stick to the classics like...

The Universal Monster Collection
Halloween
Carrie
Signs
Hitchcock films (i.e. Psycho, Rebecca, The Birds etc...)

Reactions: CAVPUT
I've seen most of the older ones listed. Have not seen Hellhouse LLC so might have to see that. Hadn't even heard of Tales of Halloween but have always liked a good anthology. Hadn't heard of The Devil's Candy either so that might warrant a look. I'd actually read King's Gerald's Game but hadn't heard they'd made a movie.

Thanks for the submissions guys.

I've seen most of the older ones listed. Have not seen Hellhouse LLC so might have to see that. Hadn't even heard of Tales of Halloween but have always liked a good anthology. Hadn't heard of The Devil's Candy either so that might warrant a look. I'd actually read King's Gerald's Game but hadn't heard they'd made a movie.

Thanks for the submissions guys.

Hellhouse LLC is well done. You get an idea of something in the beginning of the “documentary.” Then it consists of a film crew investigating what transpired by interviewing witnesses and looking over tapes and survivors’ footage. It is a little slow in a couple of parts, but that just helps build the suspense. Very creepy ending, not very gorey, but well executed.

I like Sleepy Hollow. It always reminds me of the old school cartoon I used to see back in the day.

My personal actual scary movie picks for the season are :

The Evil Dead
The Evil Dead 2
Halloween (duh)
The Thing
Return of the Living Dead
28 Days Later

Reactions: pedrojones
I have a list a mile long of horror movies I like, but that’s not the question here so I’ll limit it to movies I like around Halloween especially.

Trick r’ treat has already been mentioned. It’s a great movie to get you in the Halloween mood. Not scary, but it’s good.

Halloween 3: season of the witch. I may be in the minority here. I really like this movie around Halloween. I can’t get that freaking song out of my head lol.

Truck or treat is another I watch every year.

VN Store

Back