Scariest Movie You’ve Seen?

I don’t know about the entire film, but the nurse station scene in the Exorcist III is probably the scariest scene I’ve ever seen in my life. It probably didn’t help matters that I first saw it when I was like 12 years old and it scared me half to death.

I actually saw something not that long ago that had that scene as one of the best "jump scares" of all time. Like you I don't remember much else but that sure stuck.

The Shining is still the GOAT

The Descent is scary af

Poltergeist makes my stomach hurt when I watch it it is so scary

The Exorcist never really did much for me. Maybe you have to be religious?
I just thought of the shining! On first viewing I would say it is the most scared I’ve been from a movie. My teenage son and I have watched it several times and now sort of laugh at some scenes, but it’s definitely creepy. Even the music is super scary!

I never understood why the Paranormal Activity movies caught a bad wrap.

in my opinion, the first 3 are as good as it gets as far as horror movies are concerned. They are really well done.

Saw the original Alien in the theater (WestTown Mall). It was pretty intense - more suspense than scary

when I was a kid the made for TV "Don't be Afraid of the Dark" gave me the willies.

5d379aac194415e79abf0327d250fb371906654b_hq.jpg

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Good thread, I love horror movies. Not many that really scare me, but as I’ve gotten older certain scenes in some movies are kind of rough and cringy that I don’t feel comfortable watching them, several aren’t even in horror movies. With that said, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one I’d pick, especially since a lot of it is in the daylight and it has that realistic feel from the 70s. For something more current, I thought the first Paranormal activity did a good job of being creepy and was one of the better found footage films.

When I was a kid it was The Evil Dead, Aliens, and The Thing (the good one with Kurt Russell).

As an adult I saw this movie called Creep in Germany after a night of hard partying. Creep (2004 film) - Wikipedia

The Witch was pretty creepy as well.

New Cherry Flavor on Netflix..not really scary, but the gross out factor was pretty gnarly in some parts..and I'm normally a gore hound.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
In terms of horror movies that scared or disturbed me the most personally, I'd say my top 5 are...

The Exorcist
The Shining
Halloween
Alien
Night of The Living Dead

Last edited:
The Shining is still the GOAT

The Descent is scary af

Poltergeist makes my stomach hurt when I watch it it is so scary

The Exorcist never really did much for me. Maybe you have to be religious?

I got bored with the Exorcist. Laughed a little.

Good thread, I love horror movies. Not many that really scare me, but as I’ve gotten older certain scenes in some movies are kind of rough and cringy that I don’t feel comfortable watching them, several aren’t even in horror movies. With that said, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one I’d pick, especially since a lot of it is in the daylight and it has that realistic feel from the 70s. For something more current, I thought the first Paranormal activity did a good job of being creepy and was one of the better found footage films.
It has a low budget charm to it. Sometimes that works better in horror movies. The 2003 glossy, spare-no-expense remake with Jessica Biel and R. Lee Ermey didn't work as well. The original kept it short and sweet and didn't feel the need to explain the villains with a backstory.

I think you're right about the daylight effect, but for me, the best scene was at night when Sally and Franklin know something has gone terribly wrong with their friends. but are afraid to speculate on what that might be. You can really feel their anxiety build, especially when Franklin realizes that Jerry took the car keys with him and they are basically stuck.

VN Store

Back