SCar fans first time in Neyland

85 Back when Dr. Julian was running the show. His style was total intimidation.
So I have heard tell. Might as well tag this on. One of our best traditions is the National Anthem, sung straight up, w/o
verbal stylings. Found an article from 2000 Daily Beacon, that George Bitzas was retiring after 35 years. So that would be 1965. My question is, have any other than classic baritones sung the anthem since '65? Was Bitzas the first?

Last edited:
And that is an understatement. Never caught his ire, but felt a lot of sympathy for kids that did. Sgt. Carter was passive in comparison.
I caught it once, and got the full red face scream, but he had his sunglasses on and they were crooked, and I actually had to work hard not to burst out laughing. He looked ridiculous

Reactions: dono
Thanks for the comments and we're glad you enjoyed the visit. South Carolina holds a special place of honor and respect as you were the first state to secede.

Reactions: DixieVol
Board of Trustees Approves Revised Master Plan Proposal for Neyland Stadium - University of Tennessee Athletics

Chris Paschal is right about how old and tired the stadium looks from the riverfront but supposedly a complete stadium overhaul is on the way. It has long been the plan of UT to give Neyland a riverfront makeover as well as upgrading the concessions, restrooms, and width of the deck just like the rest of the stadium. The plans also adds a new jumbotron on the north end of the stadium, too. Having seats in the south end zone upper deck since that section was opened in 1976, I have long been waiting for the upgrade. As it always has been and will be, the project's implementation is a matter of money. It was about a year ago that Fulmer indicated the project was moving forward but specific details of the renovation for the next "100 years" is still being deliberated. One other time and I don't remember where, I believe he said it was not a case of having enough money but a matter of the best concept design. If Fulmer has said anything different on the topic since, I missed it.

When this does come to fruition and the new south plaza and facade renovation is constructed accentuating the Tennessee River location, Neyland will be truly awesome from all vantage points.

The pageantry of UT football is really part of what makes K town a special place. Vol navy, Peyton manning pass, Neyland Stadium, running through the T, Calhoun's, Pete's breakfast, and yes a big win over an SECe rival!

Neyland is a great experience been going since 1967. When you look around the league I’d say the worse experience would be at Florida. Drunk fans spitting and pissing in cups and throwing it on opposing fans. My best experience was catching one of those idiots back in the early nineties and my buddy and I beating the crap out of him. He actually crapped all over himself he was so scared. Typical gator fan classless,drunk and clueless. What a wasted life those gators lead! It might be better down there now but I won’t go back. What a crap hole and terrible experience. Go Vols.

Reactions: tbh and malinoisvol
So I have heard tell. Might as well tag this on. One of our best traditions is the National Anthem, sung straight up, w/o
verbal stylings. Found an article from 2000 Daily Beacon, that George Bitzas was retiring after 35 years. So that would be 1965. My question is, have any other than classic baritones sung the anthem since '65? Was Bitzas the first?
George Bitzas sat behind me at a game last year. I didn't recognize him until I heard him singing the SSB in his unmistakable way, very nice man. I got the feeling he was pushed out of his position. I know this, he asked to sing it for an Alumni game before and was denied the opportunity. Would be nice to hear him this weekend, I'll be on the field marching again.

Me too. It gets boo'd if it's a team we really hate, lol. (looking at you bama)

The best pregame show ever, IMO, was before 1990 UT vs. Notre Dame. This game had star power on both sides. It was like a NC type game.

The ND band was allowed to perform their full pre-game show which was spectacular! The stadium was already full and rocking. When the ND band left the field and the POTS started their "drum tick" coming in from the sidelines, it was deafening in Neyland. When UT was ending the ND fight song and as Rocky Top was beginning it was as loud as I've ever heard the stadium and I was there for: '82 Bama, '85 Auburn, '98 UF, '15 OU, '15 UGA, and '16 UF....it was that loud during the pre-game show.

Maybe some former POTS members at the time and reading this will elaborate.

Reactions: vollygirl
The best pregame show ever, IMO, was before 1990 UT vs. Notre Dame. This game had star power on both sides. It was like a NC type game.

The ND band was allowed to perform their full pre-game show which was spectacular! The stadium was already full and rocking. When the ND band left the field and the POTS started their "drum tick" coming in from the sidelines, it was deafening in Neyland. When UT was ending the ND fight song and as Rocky Top was beginning it was as loud as I've ever heard the stadium and I was there for: '82 Bama, '85 Auburn, '98 UF, '15 OU, '15 UGA, and '16 UF....it was that loud during the pre-game show.

Maybe some former POTS members at the time and reading this will elaborate.
I think you just answered my question in this post.

Heard an interesting comment from Ubben today. Can't quote it verbatim, but he was talking about the support. And he said something like, "......even without a return on their investement. It's just different at Tennessee than it is everywhere else."

What do you think it is exactly? Or why do you think it is? Maybe a generational thing?

I think you just answered my question in this post.

Those of us of a certain age (LOL) remember UT as kicking a$$! This game last Sat. had a lot of those elements, too but USC isn't that great. When we start laying the wood to UF and UGA in that same manner the swagger will be back. Last Sat. was such a fun game to watch from a dominating perspective...not hope or wish, just an a$$ whoopin'!

Last edited:
Reactions: vollygirl

VN Store

Back