‘23 SC WR Devin Hyatt (Arizona)

What do either of these things have to do with each other?

The development of his brother could validate the staff's belief in his ceiling, regardless of his production to date. They have had the opportunity to compare and contrast both the tangibles and intangibles of the brothers and can do a current risk/reward analysis on brother the younger. Does not mean they HAVE reached a conclusion, nor the family on what is ultimately the best decision for them.

I have been beating around the bush in previous posts wondering if THE 85 is REALLY our only limitation this year, how many players we can add from HS or the portal, and whether or not this or any player's analysis of their options could end up with an NIL deal being a valid option over a schollie. Their analysis of the program direction, the staff, especially the position group, and it's impact on their second son's future, as well as the total cost analysis might make a PWO with NIL a real hat on the table.

They could eliminate the dilemma of two different games to attend, as well as taking advantage of adding one son to a lease, having them carpool home for visits, and any number of life simplifying and comforting safety in numbers advantages, if the total cost analysis is close. Just a valid option for both sides. This is still a relationship driven process. Not a prediction just a unique situation UT could benefit from while still building the roster. Due to the realities of out of state tuition I had two non athlete young women in an SEC school overlapping two years and it was a stress reliever. If they have faith and trust in our staff, and I saw myself the elder brother recently publicly stress that, then both sides might find an alternate path that benefits both. A family based NIL deal seems like a possibility to get him here and then let the scollie thing take care of itself down the road. Just another old man's imagination maybe. Could be a bigger bang for the buck out of our NIL budget too.

Reactions: benholt06
This kid isn’t going to be at Tennessee barring a monumental change. Not worth going through the mental gymnastics to try to justify him here. He needs to have a huge season.

This kid isn’t going to be at Tennessee barring a monumental change. Not worth going through the mental gymnastics to try to justify him here. He needs to have a huge season.
Any idea how his season has gone so far?

In the NIL age, I still think this is the kind of unique situation where he could land at UT without a scholarship if that's where he wants to be and if he believes in himself.

Any idea how his season has gone so far?

In the NIL age, I still think this is the kind of unique situation where he could land at UT without a scholarship if that's where he wants to be and if he believes in himself.

Who’s gonna give him an NIL deal to pay full tuition and everything if he’s not good enough to earn a scholarship?

He can get a full ride to a lesser school

Yep, the only change that his brother can have on him is if he’s not giving it his all but now sees how Jalin has improved and then steps it up to have a big season

Who’s gonna give him an NIL deal to pay full tuition and everything if he’s not good enough to earn a scholarship?

He can get a full ride to a lesser school

No question he has alternatives. IF IF IF our staff believes he STILL has potential to progress like his brother with our staff AND he and his family would prefer a shot at a place like UT instead of a settling for a lessor school then the potential is out there. There are economies of scale in money and simplicity of life having both sons at in the same program that could make an NIL deal of less than equal to a full schollie a better NET deal for the family. For example, do they divide and conquer or alternate game day experiences? Been done both ways by other families in the past. They have some experience in this with the UT/IMG dual experience this year. Would they like to avoid having a couple of those half and half jerseys? Not a clue. Does UT believe he has a higher ceiling than the services? Could we be slow playing this to get a bargain? Not a clue here either.

One side or the other may have ruled this out, but I have not seen any indication of that. Multiple risk/reward calculations on both sides before final deals are offered or considered till everything is on the table, like additional commits on our side and additional offers on his. He could pretty much end the speculation with a commit elsewhere. Huge offer list, BUT......

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Y’all think he ends up at UK? Or does he have to go lower?
Kentucky would probably still take him. Hate he's been trending down. I remember when many thought he would be a 5-star caliber receiver by the time he became a senior.

Spillman situation is opposite of the Hyatt situation. There’s no reason to offer someone because their brother is playing well and already on the team

No one is suggesting the staff should do anything but react according to their own evaluations. Just saying we are uniquely postured to MAYBE offer a PWO with some NIL money since his brother is already here, and especially if he and his Dad share his brother's expressed appreciation of the staff' hanging in with him and how they have guided him to some recent successes. I would call it a non colored NIL shirt with landing the full ride in play based on his output after arrival instead of taking a scholly day 1 from a lessor program IN THEIR EYES after his year at IMG did not pay off. If not a WIN WIN then wish him well and move on. Just don't know how our staff currently views him or if they think there is any value in knowing his gene pool.

Kentucky would probably still take him. Hate he's been trending down. I remember when many thought he would be a 5-star caliber receiver by the time he became a senior.

I’m pretty sure I posted in this thread a year or two ago how I thought he was likely the most realistic chance we had at signing a 5 star.

Nailed it, per usual.

No one is suggesting the staff should do anything but react according to their own evaluations. Just saying we are uniquely postured to MAYBE offer a PWO with some NIL money since his brother is already here, and especially if he and his Dad share his brother's expressed appreciation of the staff' hanging in with him and how they have guided him to some recent successes. I would call it a non colored NIL shirt with landing the full ride in play based on his output after arrival instead of taking a scholly day 1 from a lessor program IN THEIR EYES after his year at IMG did not pay off. If not a WIN WIN then wish him well and move on. Just don't know how our staff currently views him or if they think there is any value in knowing his gene pool.

Who is gonna give him NIL money if he’s not good enough to get a scholarship?

Reactions: johnfnkelly

VN Store

Back