'19 SC WR/DB Kenney Solomon (Tennessee signee)

Not trying to be rude but why should we be excited about this guy? His offer list is atrocious.

Because Pruitt wanted him enough to offer him, and he wanted Pruitt enough to accept the offer. You have to determine whether you trust Pruitt's instincts on what makes a good football player. I do. He's seen and coached the best an every stop prior to Tennessee.

Where did the 4.38 number I heard come from? Not an official time?

Solomon ran a hand-timed 4.36 last May, which (depending on the timer) is likely 0.1-0.25 seconds faster than what would've been recorded electronically. Not sure when/where the reported 4.45 time was "verified," but wouldn't surprise me to see him record a sub-4.5 electronic time.

Reactions: Volnut
1) older guys, even Brady, came before most recruiting services, so they show up as no star recruit. In actuality, he had major offers and would have been a blue chip recruit.

2) The rest is just math. It's about probabilities. There's only 32 5*s a year, while some 800 3 stars and countless thousands of 2* and unranked guys. Higher the star, the higher chance of getting to the nfl. Very simple.

And the higher the star, they greater the likelihood that the player was thoroughly vetted. Absence of proof doesn't equal proof of absence though, and since the lower ranked guys have rarely been evaluated to the extent blue chip guys have, there are likely to be more exceptions among them. So put another way, if a service says a player is good, he probably is, but if a service says he's bad, he may be, or he may simply have been poorly trained or poorly evaluated.

If you are lazy and can recruit like Bama, then recruit only 5 stars. If you are a decade into the crap, be willing to work a bit harder for guys you think can become quality players.

Solomon ran a hand-timed 4.36 last May, which (depending on the timer) is likely 0.1-0.25 seconds faster than what would've been recorded electronically. Not sure when/where the reported 4.45 time was "verified," but wouldn't surprise me to see him record a sub-4.5 electronic time.
A laser 4.5 is very fast.

These kids do not run legit 4.3s...

The average 100m for D1 NCAA track is a little bit less than 10.5. He ran a 10.7 without any collegiate training at a small school. I want to clarify i'm not saying he woulld be a D1 star simply that if the time stated is correct he could be running track at least at a D2 level. probably would make a D1 team.
I did a quick search on 2018 high school 100m state champ times. Keep in mind these are HIGH SCHOOL times..
Texas- 10.04
Florida- 10.07
Georgia- 10.38 (I thinkl
Tennessee- 10.46

That said, Solomon has speed and quickness..

Reactions: Type Orange+
Nm

I did a quick search on 2018 high school 100m state champ times. Keep in mind these are HIGH SCHOOL times..
Texas- 10.04
Florida- 10.07
Georgia- 10.38 (I thinkl
Tennessee- 10.46

That said, Solomon has speed and quickness..

I didn't see the results from 2018 but here are the 100 meter results copied and pasted from the TSSAA state meet in 2017. 10.97 won TSSAA state meet in AAA. A-AA times were slower. Division 2 times were slower.

2017 Class AAA Boys’ State Track Results

Event 18 Boys 100 Meter Dash AAA
===============================================================================
Name Year School Finals Wind H# Points
===============================================================================
1 Michael Scruggs 11 Riverdale 10.97 -2.6 2 10 10.963
2 Donovan Whitmore 12 Siegel 10.97 -2.3 1 8 10.968
3 Rashad Haynes 12 Mem. Central 10.99 -2.6 2 6
4 Isaiah Norman 12 Cordova 11.12 -2.6 2 5
5 DeQuan Dallas 12 Melrose 11.14 -2.6 2 4
6 Dezmond Chambers 12 Gallatin 11.20 -2.3 1 3
7 Elijah Dryer 12 Ravenwood 11.21 -2.6 2 2
8 Donald Weakley 12 Antioch 11.22 -2.6 2 1
9 Keyon Hugle 12 Morristown-West 11.29 -2.3 1 11.282
10 Savion Smith 12 Tullahoma 11.29 -2.3 1 11.284
11 Kedrin Jefferson 12 Whitehaven 11.31 -2.6 2
12 Braden Collins 11 Farragut 11.39 -2.3 1
13 Cason Still 12 Bradley Central 11.46 -2.3 1
14 Markeece Shufford 10 West Creek 11.51 -2.6 2
15 Jordan Graham 10 Oak Ridge 11.70 -2.3 1

He ran an electronically-timed sub 4.5 at Duke

Reactions: StoVol
SIAP but I did notice that the Tennessee football twitter account retweeted his commitment announcement yesterday. Assuming this is because he signed a financial aid agreement?

It's been said numerous times----our coaching staff doesn't give a rats a$$ about stars. They know what a football player looks like. That's good enough for most knowledgeable Vol fans.
I agree. Butch had high star rated recruits and a good portion of them turned out to not be very effective. He would recruit stars just to have stars and not recruit to his system. I trust Pruitt and company will get the right players, stars or not as many stars because they take the time to evaluate players and not just grab stars.

Reactions: CJBlaze
Kind of reminds of Emmanuel Mosley but one that will actually be coached by 2 guys that know how to coach corners.

I expect he will play DB. I like his game on defense; fast, physical and gets his hand on the ball. Not the biggest fan of his offensive stuff outside of his run real fast and go deep stuff.

Can't teach speed.
Can’t teach elite speed. But being fast doesn’t mean squat if he can’t tackle/catch punts/run through garbage/pick it off and hold it up. He’s got some skills you can’t teach, and we got some of the best.

VN Store

Back