SC Te'a Cooper now in transfer portal

Stick to Lady Vol basketball. Your posts just get more ridiculous and are uninformed if you think most of Dawn's best players were transfers, Gray and Davis were the only reason they won the NC, and A'ja played "several seasons" at SC after those 2 left.

Somebody is touchy today. I was wrong about A'ja, fine, she played one more season. But I am not incorrect about her lone national championship. No Gray and Davis, no national championship for Dawn. She is the only coach I can think of who won a national championship on the back of transfers.

Doesn't bode well that almost 65% of her actual recruits transfer and then she has to replace them with other transfers.

Also, last I checked this was Volnation, not cockytalk. I'll post about whatever I want.

Stick to Lady Vol basketball. Your posts just get more ridiculous and are uninformed if you think most of Dawn's best players were transfers, Gray and Davis were the only reason they won the NC, and A'ja played "several seasons" at SC after those 2 left.

Gray and Davis weren’t the best players or THE reason but you’re fooling yourself if you think they win the NC without them.

Somebody is touchy today. I was wrong about A'ja, fine, she played one more season. But I am not incorrect about her lone national championship. No Gray and Davis, no national championship for Dawn. She is the only coach I can think of who won a national championship on the back of transfers.

Doesn't bode well that almost 65% of her actual recruits transfer and then she has to replace them with other transfers.

Also, last I checked this was Volnation, not cockytalk. I'll post about whatever I want.

The last 3 NC winners all relied heavily on transfers.

Jess Shepard's transfer made a world of difference for ND en route to the NC last year, and Chloe Jackson was the final four MOP for this year's Baylor squad.

I'm still not sure I follow, my point to Jduro was that those transfers were the ONLY reason Dawn Staley won a championship.

Exactly..... but Jduro was not buying your point. Even making Davis (A WNBA draft pick ) out to be not important to the NC because she was (just a good player ) but nothing special!!!!! But both players were draft picks ..... ( not just good players ) ( and both were transfers ) not her recruits !

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
Yes you can post whatever you want. Just trying to help your opinions be more informed.

As for the 2017 championship, that was won on the back of A'ja Wilson with the help of the transfers. Just as Notre Dame won in 2018 with the help of Jessica Shepard and Baylor won their NC this week with the help of tournament MVP Chloe Jackson.

For the players transferring out, I hate to see them leave but they were overwhelmingly players who rode the bench seeking playing time or other circumstances like homesickness. Herbert-Harrigan is really the only significant contributor out of those to leave. Dawn's stars and important players don't leave. And yes it is expected she will dip into the transfer pool and sign a couple, but with a reported 500+in the portal, transfers are now a big part the game. Expect Coach Jolly-Harper in the future to bring some into the orange and powder blues as well.

ESPN report so that makes 4 unhappy cocks it looks like!

Was she ever recruited by Tennessee when in high school? I recognize that name
With the mass exodus, what will Stakeya future be?
Do you fire a National Championship winning coach?

COMPLETE AND UTTER SPIN PIECE

"The attrition rate at South Carolina is no higher than anywhere else, in fact it is pretty low. "
----Untrue over 65% transfer rate sine 2014

"’Staley also has that National Championship trophy and that Team USA gig, I'd say any player who have a problem with Staley might need to think long and hard about whether she is really the problem. "
----Backed into that Championship by getting a great draw. Got by far the easiest region and actually los to ASU in 2nd round but were saved by the refs on a horrible call. Stanford had an injury to a starter and still had a close game. Champ game MSU was so happy to beat UConn they were mentally drained and played poorly. Got team USA b/c Geno was tired of doing it. She is constantly out coached by every decent coach in the SEC and out of conference. Very poor record against ranked teams OOC. Has a constant scowl in every game.

"If everyone had returned and you add all five incoming freshmen you end up with logjams all over the court. There would have been some uncomfortable decisions to be made, and some unhappy veterans on the bench. "
----The notion Cooper and Herrigan would not have been starting and "unhappy veterans" and "uncomfortable decisions" is nonsensical. Banking on freshmen ? That only works in MCBB and they are lottery picks staying 1 year like UK and Duke.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
There can no gain in saying of he fact that intercollegiate sports is going through a period of transitions previously not seen or accounted for. For better or worst, student-athletes now understand that they have greater latitude in directing their intercollegiate careers, the same latitude that coaches and universities has had for years. The Transfer Portal, a tool essentially created by college coaches and AD's and not the student athlete, is a manifestation of this new reality. It is not my intent to cast aspersions on CHW and her staff, I am not a Holly hater, but for whatever reason coaches and players were leaving this beloved program. Segments of the fan base over the years has become extremely hateful in their attacks against our young ladies, (ie., Diamond DeSheilds, Tea' Cooper, Coach Kyra Elzy, and Alexa Middleton) which became personal in nature. No, I do not dismiss the individual faults of these young ladies, but the environment and team culture over the last four years had not been good. Student-athletes are young men and women who are in the challenging process of becoming young adults, mistakes will be made, who among us as full adults are mistake free? There will always be Lady Vols fans who will either always love, hate, support, or seek to destroy the aforementioned players and coaches for a variety of reasons, it's not my intent to try and change their minds. My intent here is to highlight that the landscape of intercollegiate is transition (ie., Transfer Portal), The Lady Vols program culture, including fan base, needs a more positive tenner, and I for one am pulling for CKJH to inspire a more positive culture. Tea' Cooper is a solid player, who made a mistake and needs further skill development, but this is common to all student-athletes. Yes, I for one, would try to get her back home to solidify and add depth to our back court. The long and short of all of this, is that the Lady Vols has to get back to the top of women's college basketball, not just for Tennessee, but for the health and growth of the sport. The new realities of women's basketball will affect every power 5 program, be it good or bad, but Winning solves all.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
One of the best EVER...... 🤔

Then since South Carolina has lost 65# of its recruits (9 of 14 ?) over the last few years....
2 or 3 of them will potentially be gone soon ! Just Saying 😈
The official secrets behind South Carolina's historic recruiting class
One year later, that 2019 class is the nation’s best. The Gamecocks signed five prospects, four rated in the top 13. Not only is USC’s group No. 1, it’s drawing comparisons to the best recruiting classes in women’s basketball history.

The transfers are not a list of "who's who"...
SOUTH CAROLINA SIGNEE TRANSFERS
Bianca Jackson (2017) — Undecided
LaDazhia Williams (2017) — Undecided
Haley Troup (2017) — Missouri
Araion Bradshaw (2016) — Dayton
Mikiah Herbert Harrigan (2016) — Undecided
Victoria Patrick (2016) — North Florida
Shay Colley (2015) — Michigan State
Jatarie White (2014) — Texas
Kaydra Duckett (2014) — Coastal Carolina

Reactions: JDuro
The transfers are not a list of "who's who"...
SOUTH CAROLINA SIGNEE TRANSFERS
Bianca Jackson (2017) — Undecided
Frustrated by cut in PT last season.

LaDazhia Williams (2017) — Undecided
Played very little.
Haley Troup (2017) — Missouri
On campus for a few weeks. Went on team trip to Japan. Transferred b/c lead recruiter Nikki McCray took ODU job. Heart no longer at SC. Mizzou was her #2.
Araion Bradshaw (2016) — Dayton
Playing time. Ironically would likely have gotten more minutes if she stayed due to severe lack of PG depth in ‘17-‘18
Mikiah Herbert Harrigan (2016) — Undecided
????? - Not sure why but Dawn surely wasn’t happy with her, took her out of the starting lineup.
Victoria Patrick (2016) — North Florida
Played very little. Not a P5 caliber player. Transferred closer to home and will play with little sister @ UNF.
Shay Colley (2015) — Michigan State
Homesick, wanted to be closer to home. Had jumped Bianca Cuevas-Moore as first PG off the bench behind Khadijah Sessions during non-conf. games. Left for X-mas break. Never came back. Transferred to Pitt.
Jatarie White (2014) — Texas
PT. First two seasons disrupted by injury and illness. Ultimately wasn’t going to start over Wilson & Coates.
Kaydra Duckett (2014) — Coastal Carolina
Played little. Word was not a hard worker. Transferred to Coastal but never played a minute of basketball for them - quit the game.
Te’a Cooper — Undecided
?????

From skilledup:

Do you think Kim would take that risk? I know Jackson was a 3 time transfer, but she didn't have the baggage of disciplinary issues coming along for the ride.

Mulkey also wont really need anyone at the guard spot next year so even if she does taker her, there is absolutely no guarantee she would start. Decosta and Scott-Grayson looked good in their minutes and DiDi and Juicy will both still be starting, plus Kim seems to have a soft spot for Moon. I would suspect Mulkey will go with a sophomore that came to her program initially and has stuck it out over a 3 time transfer who was repeatedly benched by her last coach.

Chloe's situation was kind of a fluke, Mulkey had no intention of starting her until she had to dismiss Morris, and it sounds like she tried every other option before making Jackson her PG. Copper isn't going to just glide on into the starting line-up at Baylor because she wants to.

Last edited:
Do you think Kim would take that risk? I know Jackson was a 3 time transfer, but she didn't have the baggage of disciplinary issues coming along for the ride.

Mulkey also wont really need anyone at the guard spot next year so even if she does taker her, there is absolutely no guarantee she would start. Decosta and Scott-Grayson looked good in their minutes and DiDi and Juicy will both still be starting, plus Kim seems to have a soft spot for Moon. I would suspect Mulkey will go with a sophomore that came to her program initially and has stuck it out over a 3 time transfer who was repeatedly benched by her last coach.

Chloe's situation was kind of a fluke, Mulkey had no intention of starting her until she had to dismiss Morris, and it sounds like she tried every other option before making Jackson her PG. Copper isn't going to just glide on into the starting line-up at Baylor because she wants to.
I'm hoping there is a reason that Cooper hasn't heard back from Kim yet. We have one 'ship left and I'm hoping that Mulkey uses it on a big.

Decosta isn't a PG, she's a wing. And is she even still alive? lol

Yes I know, but my point is, that Baylor has a ton of depth at the guard spot, I'm doubtful she'll want to add another. Especially one who seems to have trouble fitting into a system no matter where she is.

I'm hoping there is a reason that Cooper hasn't heard back from Kim yet. We have one 'ship left and I'm hoping that Mulkey uses it on a big.

That is my bet as well, I'm thinking Mulkey would be more interested in someone like Dixon from Ga Tech who could be an immediate impact player in the post and give her added size and depth where she likes to have it.

Egbo and Smith are both great, but you can't teach 6'5"

From skilledup:

I can understand her not being a good match with Holly. But, two points:
1) She was dismissed from the university, NOT the team.
2) I thought Dawn would be the making of her, if she can’t play/get along with Dawn, I can not imagine how she would deal with Kim.

@BUBear, I didn’t post this on the Baylor website, but you know me well enough to know it is not sour grapes, just data for the processing. I have confidence in Kim, but just can not see Te’a being a Baylor fit.😱

VN Store

Back