(ROCK HILL)

Antonio Barber, Rock Hill, Wide Receiver

Rivals.com

Antonio Barber - Hudl

[twitter]988777805633720320[/twitter]

Per 247 timeline he visited Feb 16.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee extended an offer to wide receiver Antonio Barber on Tuesday. The offer wasn’t a surprise, but it was an important one to the rising junior.

I’ve kind of been waiting on the offer from Tennessee,” Barber told SEC Country. “It’s been a wait and see approach. I visited there about a month or so ago. Just to build a relationship with Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt and Coach [Brian] Niedermeyer. I knew I’d get the offer, it was just a matter of time. That’s been an offer I’ve always wanted. I’ve always wanted to play at Tennessee. I had a cousin, Jonathan Hefney, play at Tennessee. It’s always been one of my dream schools. It was kind of big to me.”

Barber hears from tight end coach Niedermeyer the most even though he’s being recruited to play wide receiver. He and Pruitt have been impressed with the film they’ve seen.

“They told me how they watched my film again,” Barber said. “He was telling me how they loved it. They told me I’d be a great fit for Tennessee and they want me to be a part of the 2020 class and play receiver.”

Barber is quite the impressive athlete. The 6-foot, 180-pound Rock Hill, S.C. native might be as good of a basketball player as he is a football player. However, his future is in football where he is learning how to harness his athleticism and turn it into plays for the offense.

“My explosiveness,” Barber said. “Being a deep-threat to defensive backs. It opens up the running game for the offense. I think my explosiveness is the best thing I bring to the table.”

“I’ve been looking at trying to make a decision before this upcoming season,” Barber said. “That way I get everything out of the way this summer. So I can focus on athletics, getting stronger and everything.”

He wants to take unofficial visits this summer and decide where to go after that. He plans to make a return visit to Knoxville in four or five weeks. He’ll then make a cross-country tour of schools: Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Colorado State, Southern Cal, UCLA, UCF, Miami, Florida State. He knows exactly what he’ll be looking for on the visits, too.

“Just give everything a strong look when I take my visits this summer,” Barber said. “Try to see what I want to major in in college. Looking at the recruits in front of me and see how many commits and offers they have out. See the guys I’d be coming in with. Hopefully, I’d be coming in with a good quarterback that’s a gunslinger.”

Barber visited Tennessee on Feb. 16, so the return visit will be his first since getting the Tennessee offer. The work ethic of the team stood out.

“Seeing the guys in the weight room even after workouts getting after it,” Barber said. “Guys on the field putting in work. I liked it because I like to work hard.”

— SEC Country

Reactions: 4 people
This one’s big! Yes...twss...but really! Julio Jones level recruiting wise impact imo.

Reactions: 3 people
Explain. I want to be excited.

no rating yet that i've seen, but just won MVP at the carolina exposure camp in Charlotte. has offers from ND, Clemson, USCe, TN, GA, VT, UNC, Florida among others...

has already visited GA, ND, UNC, TN and Clemson.

is being touted as maybe the best WR in SC, and one of the top overall in the state.

maybe not julio jones level? but Alshon Jeffery? too early to probably tell either way.

would be a very good pick up. just hasn't had a ton of hype/exposure until the last couple months.

no rating yet that i've seen, but just won MVP at the carolina exposure camp in Charlotte. has offers from ND, Clemson, USCe, TN, GA, VT, UNC, Florida among others...

has already visited GA, ND, UNC, TN and Clemson.

is being touted as maybe the best WR in SC, and one of the top overall in the state.

maybe not julio jones level? but Alshon Jeffery? too early to probably tell either way.

would be a very good pick up. just hasn't had a ton of hype/exposure until the last couple months.

Where are you seeing these offers; Clemson, USCe, GA, VT, UNC, Florida?

Where are you seeing these offers; Clemson, USCe, GA, VT, UNC, Florida?

yep, check that..i mis read it....

thanks.

Barber, who currently holds offers from Virginia Tech, Colorado, Syracuse, UCLA, Southern Miss and a few others, shared some thoughts on what the Fighting Irish means to him.

“The offer has me pumped up,” said Barber to 247Sports insider Evan Watkins. “It was a school I dreamed of playing for when I was little, but I never thought I would have a chance to, but now I know I’m a national talent and it humbles me and makes me want to grind and get better.”

Per his interview with Hickey, Barber named Virginia Tech his leader.

With his upcoming visit set for Notre Dame, Barber also shared that he has already visited Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Miami, Georgia, South Carolina and Clemson.

Hard for me to get excited for commits this far out period and this one falls in that category. If he commits that's great but too far to go to boom for a sophomore.

Hard for me to get excited for commits this far out period and this one falls in that category. If he commits that's great but too far to go to boom for a sophomore.

I hear this big time, but I think this staff / on-field improvement keeps kids in the fold for longer.

Glass half empty thinking, IMO.

We could lose him, sure. Could lose a ‘19 commit as well. It’s the name of the game. But I’ll be excited simply because a talented kid - despite being this far out - is so excited about what he’s seen in UT thus far that he’s willing to commit. Not to mention he likely adds a peer recruiter on all the camps/circuits he attends. And every article written about him will include “Tennessee commit” in it.

Plenty to get excited about IMO.

Explain. I want to be excited.

Coming off a six win debut season at Bama, Saban landed a loaded class with Julio Jones as the headliner and never looked back. Similar impact guy imo. Everything’s potential of course but this guy’s is higher ceiling than most. But alas he’s a 20 kid. Back to hibernation with you, Rip. :wavey:

Reactions: 1 person
Glass half empty thinking, IMO.

We could lose him, sure. Could lose a ‘19 commit as well. It’s the name of the game. But I’ll be excited simply because a talented kid - despite being this far out - is so excited about what he’s seen in UT thus far that he’s willing to commit. Not to mention he likely adds a peer recruiter on all the camps/circuits he attends. And every article written about him will include “Tennessee commit” in it.

Plenty to get excited about IMO.

You say glass half empty I say Ill wait for a frosty mug. I get what your saying about peer recruiting but it has to be someone with high charisma, which I am not privy to with this guy. Its so early that he may get a slew of offers or this may be it. Like I said I'll take the commit but yeah.

Coming off a six win debut season at Bama, Saban landed a loaded class with Julio Jones as the headliner and never looked back. Similar impact guy imo. Everything’s potential of course but this guy’s is higher ceiling than most. But alas he’s a 20 kid. Back to sleep with you, Rip. :wavey:

Where do you see this guy having Julio level skill? No sarcasm but seriously he is a sophomore in high school. You need to stop hanging out with D4H. :crazy:

Where do you see this guy having Julio level skill? No sarcasm but seriously he is a sophomore in high school. You need to stop hanging out with D4H. :crazy:

It’s an opinion...which I made clear. No guarantees. You should know the difference. :nono:

And when he plays NEXT he’s going to be a junior! Quit with the “sophomore” shizz. :)

You say glass half empty I say Ill wait for a frosty mug. I get what your saying about peer recruiting but it has to be someone with high charisma, which I am not privy to with this guy. Its so early that he may get a slew of offers or this may be it. Like I said I'll take the commit but yeah.

With your commitment to analysis, which high school underclassmen (or regular students for that matter) whom you’re “privy” to displays said “high charisma”? Teach us to parse football words stuff, Newt. :huggy:

Yeah same here. It does help his cousin is Hef. Hef loves him some Vols

With your commitment to analysis, which high school underclassmen (or regular students for that matter) whom you’re “privy” to displays said “high charisma”? Teach us to parse football words stuff, Newt. :huggy:

I'm not privy to any. I'm 44. Just saying successful peer recruiting is far from a given.

VN Store

Back