SBC on the precipice: reckoning coming on covered up sexual abuse

Some people fail to realize that the Gospel of Christ has nothing to do with politics. God doesn’t care about political affiliation. He is more concerned about where we are going in life and the decisions we make.

What verse did you magically pull that out of? Noooo. Jesus wants the world to come to Christ, not to be a good person but to become a Christian. You become a,Christian, everything else falls in line. As for politics, God commanded the gov on how to act and govern. Many examples in the Bible that shows good and bad governments

Now now, I must say I do enjoy and learn from listening to the expository wonders of RC Sproul on reformed theology and compare to Barth and Bonhoeffer and against the Magisterium but will concede that such pleasures of mind would border on cruel and unusual torment to the young, though perhaps preferable to the Johnathan Edwards tradition.
Unfortunately such discussions are all to apt to turn to name calling and hair pulling. Certain topics just can only be discussed among small groups of calms and intellectually curious believers. Other similar „tread carefully“ subjects include infant baptism, priestly celibacy, the nature and status of Mary, the question of eternal security vs apostasy, old earth vs new earth creationism, and pre vs post milleniumism (spelling?)

What verse did you magically pull that out of? Noooo. Jesus wants the world to come to Christ, not to be a good person but to become a Christian. You become a,Christian, everything else falls in line. As for politics, God commanded the gov on how to act and govern. Many examples in the Bible that shows good and bad governments
Did you read the posters post I was commenting on? Edit: ashg’s post.

You might be saying the same thing as this; but political issues wouldn’t have been issues if the Church had been doing its job all along

Reactions: AshG
Yes. It is why they are called congegationalist churches. And no such thing as a bishop.

Which makes me wonder at some of the comparisons in the thread of the SBC to episcopate churches.

You might be saying the same thing as this; but political issues wouldn’t have been issues if the Church had been doing its job all along

The sbc has become more liberal, hence the the problem has Fostered so it would not surprise me. Now I will not assume guilt as most on here will, we'll see how it plays out.

Yes. It is why they are called congegationalist churches. And no such thing as a bishop.

Which makes me wonder at some of the comparisons in the thread of the SBC to episcopate churches.
That's what I was getting at early on in this thread. The governing bodies work very differently. That isn't meant to minimize the potential issue here, but people need to understand that for good and for bad, Baptist churches operate within associations but tend to be fiercely independent as opposed to Catholic churches that tend to be in lockstep with leadership.

Last edited:
Reactions: GroverCleveland
That's what I was getting at early on in this thread. The governing bodies work very differently. That isn't meant to minimize the potential issue here, but people need to understand that for good and for bad, Baptist churches operate within associations but tend to be fiercely independent as opposed to Catholic churches that tend to be in lockstep with leadership.

I know, right?. It is why there are so many Baptist churches. Choir gets in a fight with the minister, congregation picks sides and Bingo! A new church forms.

Was raised Southern Baptist and belonged to a several churches, before joining the Eposcopal Church, that had pretty much stopped contributing to the SBC for various reasons. Nothing the SBC can do about it. Not like a parish in the Episcopal/whatever where the church and property are owned by the diocese or whatever governing body.

Without too much effort you can find videos taken of politicians speaking in black churches just as I described. Some of them aren’t even disguised as sermons but are outright political rallies.
And regarding voter guides, they are voluntary question and answer sheets provided to all candidates of all parties. A candidate can choose to take part or not, there is no discrimination and the guides make no endorsements

Then you're not talking about the voters guides I've seen. The largest Baptist church in our area passes them out with check marks beside the church approved candidate.

But didn't the SB Convention kick out two California churches for allowing women to officiate at certain events? So they do have some punitive capability.

You're parroting the excuse the report says leadership used to keep from doing anything.

But what it really says is that in the SBC it is a more severe offense to have a woman take on ministerial duties than it is to sexually abuse a child.

But didn't the SB Convention kick out two California churches for allowing women to officiate at certain events? So they do have some punitive capability.

You're parroting the excuse the report says leadership used to keep from doing anything.

But what it really says is that in the SBC it is a more severe offense to have a woman take on ministerial duties than it is to sexually abuse a child.
My SBC church has a female Music Minister and a female Family Life Minister… both of whom have been known to handle funerals and the occasional sermon.

My SBC church has a female Music Minister and a female Family Life Minister… both of whom have been known to handle funerals and the occasional sermon.

Don't know about your church, just know about the California cases of expulsion and what took place in the churches I attended for over 20 years. I just couldn't continue in a church based on racism and misogyny. There's no doubt the sexual improprieties did occur and this report clearly shows that the leadership was not as aggressive in investigating and punishing the individuals who committed the acts cited in the report. I will stand by my statement.

VN Store

Back