SBC on the precipice: reckoning coming on covered up sexual abuse

AshG

Easy target
There's something about authoritarian religious organizations that allows this type of thing to happen. Has Southern Baptist leadership been taking notes from the Vatican?

This Is the Southern Baptist Apocalypse

"For years, leaders in the Executive Committee said a database—to prevent sexual predators from quietly moving from one church to another, to a new set of victims—had been thoroughly investigated and found to be legally impossible, given Baptist church autonomy. My mouth fell open when I read documented proof in the report that these very people not only knew how to have a database, they already had one.

Allegations of sexual violence and assault were placed, the report concludes, in a secret file in the SBC Nashville headquarters. It held over 700 cases. Not only was nothing done to stop these predators from continuing their hellish crimes, staff members were reportedly told not to even engage those asking about how to stop their child from being sexually violated by a minister. Rather than a database to protect sexual abuse victims, the report reveals that these leaders had a database to protect themselves."

You are trying to paint a picture. I get it. You don't like "old time religion".

Au contraire, I rather enjoy the beauty of Greek Orthodox worship and can feel right at home in an Anglican service as well as I can in my UMC home church. And given the opportunity, I'll gladly take the stage and sing bass on Sacred Harp, shape note, and Gaither classics in an old country church.

The SBC sold out in the early 1980s and the debt collector has come to call. The curse of Bob Jones College still hangs around their necks.

I wonder if the sexual predator preachers are good earners.

Last edited:
There's something about authoritarian religious organizations that allows this type of thing to happen. Has Southern Baptist leadership been taking notes from the Vatican?

This Is the Southern Baptist Apocalypse

"For years, leaders in the Executive Committee said a database—to prevent sexual predators from quietly moving from one church to another, to a new set of victims—had been thoroughly investigated and found to be legally impossible, given Baptist church autonomy. My mouth fell open when I read documented proof in the report that these very people not only knew how to have a database, they already had one.

Allegations of sexual violence and assault were placed, the report concludes, in a secret file in the SBC Nashville headquarters. It held over 700 cases. Not only was nothing done to stop these predators from continuing their hellish crimes, staff members were reportedly told not to even engage those asking about how to stop their child from being sexually violated by a minister. Rather than a database to protect sexual abuse victims, the report reveals that these leaders had a database to protect themselves."

More concerning and alarming is the continuing epidemic of sexual abuse and/or grooming by teachers.

GROOMER EPIDEMIC: 135 teachers and aides charged with child sex crimes so far in 2022

Now that we've got the hurr durr out of the way...

Could this lead to a denominational split? Will we see individual churches move to other already established Baptist associations? Will this just be swept under the rug and the victims be shamed for being temptations to the leaders?

Could this lead to a denominational split? Will we see individual churches move to other already established Baptist associations? Will this just be swept under the rug and the victims be shamed for being temptations to the leaders?
Likely handled the same way as the Catholics. They won't go the same way as the umc

Reactions: Rickyvol77

A saving grace might be the independence of most Baptist congregations. From personal experience, most Baptist churches aren’t nearly as beholden to the SBC as you might think.

If only we could all be like his church that doesn’t even follow the tenets of the Bible and had to split twice in the last decade
I don't know anything about the organization. But I do know that @AshG doesn't miss an opportunity to go after Southern churches and/or virtue signal about how much better his version of Christianity is.

I don't know anything about the organization. But I do know that @AshG doesn't miss an opportunity to go after Southern churches and/or virtue signal about how much better his version of Christianity is.
Every topic is the same with certain posters. While you and I certainly disagree on a couple of topics, we can discuss others rationally without the need for one-upping anecdotes and “I’m better than everyone” falsehoods.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
If only we could all be like his church that doesn’t even follow the tenets of the Bible and had to split twice in the last decade

It's exactly like arguing which chapter of all the books in the Harry Potter series is the most believable.

Reactions: rjd970
It's exactly like arguing which chapter of all the books in the Harry Potter series is the most believable.
I am a nerd sometimes however I’ve never really enjoyed Harry Potter even though most love it. Just not my cup of tea

VN Store

Back