Saylor Poffenbarger to UCONN

You would've think she would've figured most of that out before she signed with them. Better get it right next time around cause she is already using up her one transfer.

Actually she isn't eligible until Jan 23 unless she applies for a waver. Name had to be in the portal by 07/01/21 to be eligible immediately.

Actually she isn't eligible until Jan 23 unless she applies for a waver. Name had to be in the portal by 07/01/21 to be eligible immediately.
I realize that was talking about why she chose UConn in the first place if she didn't like the school location or their educational offerings. Now if she chooses Oregon we know what an additional reason was.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Saylor's down the line
'Bout a half a mile or so
And she don't really got to know
Where's she's going

Maybe once or twice you see
Game after game she tried to
Get on court and play a few
But now she's going

And she don't mind
About the things you're gonna say, Luigi
She gave all her effort and her time
"I know it's a shame
But I'm giving you back your scholly claim"
yeah, yeah

"Guess, I'll be on my way
I won't be back to stay
I guess I'll move along
I'm looking for a good time"

Right now she isn't eligible until the 22-23 season. She can apply for a waiver to play spring semester. I don't know if that would be the wise thing seeing as how she is injured and can't play and we don't know when she will be able to practice. Take this year as a red shirt year and get healthy. She would still have 4 years eligibility with a full year of academics behind her.

Hmm about to spread this article like wildfire🤪
The main reason players go to Storrs is to win championships and to be a part of their winning program. UCONN is not close to being one of the great educational institutions. Many athletes are willing to sacrifice a lot if they can play on a winning team.

The main reason players go to Storrs is to win championships and to be a part of their winning program. UCONN is not close to being one of the great educational institutions. Many athletes are willing to sacrifice a lot if they can play on a winning team.
I have seen several comments about UC and their lack of academic goodness..... I had known of them the past generation or so to be a fairly good school....

I googled "University of Connecticut ranking"and it says 63rd in national ranking I don't have a dog in the hunt, but would be curious to learn where is the source which says it is a bad academic school

Top players choose UConn for the basketball. If the "social scene" at UConn is so important to basketball players why do they keep coming? Every US player on the current roster was ranked including 6 ranked in the top 5. All of them were McD's AA save one. At least 6 of them (probably more) will go on to the W. The 3 foreign players all play for their national teams.

on edit - UConn's Princeton review ranking of party schools was #20 out of 385 schools.
Hell hath no fury……

Such a silly argument about college towns. Tuscaloosa Alabama says hello. I'd say location is maybe 10% of a recruit's decision, and that mostly has to do with proximity to home, not coolness of town. At least 90% is perceived ability to win championships and move on to next level. They aren't signing up to be lifelong residents plus they have very little time for extracurriculars. There's probably plenty who see the isolation of a small town as less temptation to get in trouble and blow all of the 90% listed above.

Would probably be a good fit for her. Had never looked into her much, was doing some reading the other day. Does seem like she’s been injured a ton in her career going back to high school. Every other article when you google her is about her overcoming some sort of injury.
Also gives the play by play an opportunity to say, "Wolfenbarger to Poffenberger..."

Such a silly argument about college towns. Tuscaloosa Alabama says hello. I'd say location is maybe 10% of a recruit's decision, and that mostly has to do with proximity to home, not coolness of town. At least 90% is perceived ability to win championships and move on to next level. They aren't signing up to be lifelong residents plus they have very little time for extracurriculars. There's probably plenty who see the isolation of a small town as less temptation to get in trouble and blow all of the 90% listed above.

I don't know if I agree with that...especially if you're from a small town. I grew up in a rural area, and the #1 differentiator between my school choices (all of them were about the same academically) was the nearest major city. No way I was going to a college town that wasn't a short distance away from one of the major metropolitan area.

I don't know if I agree with that...especially if you're from a small town. I grew up in a rural area, and the #1 differentiator between my school choices (all of them were about the same academically) was the nearest major city. No way I was going to a college town that wasn't a short distance away from one of the major metropolitan area.
Were you choosing between athletic scholarships? My post (and I think the conversation) was about the role the town (in this case Storrs) plays in how an elite, top level recruit selects schools. Do players really turn down UConn bc they dislike the vibe of Storrs? The team, the coach, the feel of the program maybe (not often), but the town? That player should major in impulsiveness and impatience.

I guess if you have your absolute choice of any or many schools, nice town could tip the balance. Maybe the portal makes location even less important though. Take a chance on Storrs. If you hate it just transfer.

For average, run of the mill students, I'm sure the coolness and entertainment factor is much stronger. For most parents I know, the rule for college location is just stay instate kid.

Last edited:
Were you choosing between athletic scholarships? My post (and I think the conversation) was about the role the town (in this case Storrs) plays in how an elite, top level recruit selects schools. Do players really turn down UConn bc they dislike the vibe of Storrs? The team, the coach, the feel of the program maybe (not often), but the town? That player should major in impulsiveness and impatience.

I guess if you have your absolute choice of any or many schools, nice town could tip the balance. Maybe the portal makes location even less important though. Take a chance on Storrs. If you hate it just transfer.

For average, run of the mill students, I'm sure the coolness and entertainment factor is much stronger. For most parents I know, the rule for college location is just stay instate kid.
Point still stands, though. If we're talking about one of the very elite athletes that has a likely pro career, then that's one thing. The school is the just a means to an end result. For the majority of recruits in most sports (including end of bench in the major sports), it's an opportunity to get a free ride to University, so why not make the most of it? I can easily see why location would be a highly motivating factor. Probably why Vic had a hard time getting more elite players to MSST even when he started seeing success.

Point still stands, though. If we're talking about one of the very elite athletes that has a likely pro career, then that's one thing. The school is the just a means to an end result. For the majority of recruits in most sports (including end of bench in the major sports), it's an opportunity to get a free ride to University, so why not make the most of it? I can easily see why location would be a highly motivating factor. Probably why Vic had a hard time getting more elite players to MSST even when he started seeing success.
I think we're agreeing somewhere in there that its possible location could tip the balance in a close recruiting call amongst the ultra elite 1% of recruits. The rest, not so much.

I wonder if KnoxVegas hurt Pat amongst some snobby mcsnobkins recruits? Who didn't want to be a cornfed chick?

It certainly factored for me and many others I've talked to, and I was a Div. 1 scholarship athlete. I grew up in Connecticut and then high school in very rural Mississippi (talk about culture shock!) and no way was I staying in state or going anywhere that wasn't close to a major city. I wanted to experience that vibe, and I was willing to take my chances on turning down some traditional title contenders in order to have that experience. I'm very happy I did, but that is just my take and experience on it.

I think we're agreeing somewhere in there that its possible location could tip the balance in a close recruiting call amongst the ultra elite 1% of recruits. The rest, not so much.

I wonder if KnoxVegas hurt Pat amongst some snobby mcsnobkins recruits? Who didn't want to be a cornfed chick?

Which is why maybe Azzi Fudd might not care where a school is located, but Saylor Poffenberger would. Saylor is an elite player in her sport, but one who apparently views basketball as a means to get an education vs. college as a means to play basketball.

I think that as more choices opened up, I could see some players not considering the LVs even with Pat because they didn't want to live in Tennessee.

Dang why not us?

speechless-nathan-fillion.gif

VN Store

Back