Satellite Internet Service?

jps2194

Vol for Life
Does anyone currently use satellite for their internet service - Hughes or Viastat. Considering dropping DSL and going statellite. Viastat claims 100MB download speed, is anyone using them and if so - what speed are you getting. Hughes seems to only get 25MB which is about the same as DSL, so probably wouldn't switch for them. Does service drop when it rains like DirecTV?

We looked at Viastat after seeing one of their commercials but their cheapest plan is like $115 :eek:

Had Hughes for a couple of years. Service will go down like DirecTV but seemed to happen less often for us. It’s expensive for how slow it is but the only option sometimes.

Had Hughes for a couple of years. Service will go down like DirecTV but seemed to happen less often for us. It’s expensive for how slow it is but the only option sometimes.
It does seem expensive - curious to see if anyone has had good success with Viastat.

We tried Hughes for about a month just because our only provider sucks, it sucked worse unfortunately. Before the first week was out they had throttled it down to where you couldn't even watch a YouTube video. Still have the satellite dish though.

If you have a strong 4G LTE signal at your house, you'd be better off going with a hotspot and unlimited data from your phone provider.

I have Viasat and it’s expensive. Unfortunately, I don’t have any other options, so it’s better than nothing. It will lose service in a heavy rain/storm. As far as speed, it’s pretty comparable to DSL, maybe a little faster. As another poster mentioned, if you have reliable 4G data/cellular service, I’d get a hotspot and use that.

I have Viasat and it’s expensive. Unfortunately, I don’t have any other options, so it’s better than nothing. It will lose service in a heavy rain/storm. As far as speed, it’s pretty comparable to DSL, maybe a little faster. As another poster mentioned, if you have reliable 4G data/cellular service, I’d get a hotspot and use that.
Do you know which service you have - they claim to have a 25MB, 50MB and a 100MB. Just curious which one you have - assuming it's probably the 25 version.

VN Store

Back