Sark to the Elephants

He must want a head coaching position sooner rather than later, and sees Saban's coaching rehabilitation clinic as the fastest route.

Last edited:
Reactions: alavolfan
I think it 's a bad hire that has the potential to be a disastrous hire if Sark suffers a relapse. Still, they will probably win the SEC.

Sark could be doing shooters in the box and they would beat most teams. But if they don't win the national championship the bamers will turn on Saban and Sark.

Reactions: feathersax
I honestly thought he was destined for Knoxville, but I’m fine with where we ended up. Thoughts?
I believe it’s a good hire for bamer. I’m very happy with our new OC but would have been happy with Sark as well. I do believe Chaney will be here longer than Sark would have been.

Reactions: Gandalf and CA_Vol
He must want a head coaching position sooner rather than later, and sees Saban's coaching rehabilitation clinic as the fastest route.

Given that his other option was a massive rebuilding project as the "OC-In-Name-Only" for the Arizona Cardinals, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to take the Bama job career-wise.

Now I'm curious if we tried to hire Sark. The timing with Enos going to Miami and Sark being on the market makes me think Saban tried to poach him pretty quickly after he became available. Probably planned on promoting Enos and then shifted course when he realized he could hire Sark.

Reactions: Gandalf
Given that his other option was a massive rebuilding project as the "OC-In-Name-Only" for the Arizona Cardinals, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to take the Bama job career-wise.

Now I'm curious if we tried to hire Sark. The timing with Enos going to Miami and Sark being on the market makes me think Saban tried to poach him pretty quickly after he became available. Probably planned on promoting Enos and then shifted course when he realized he could hire Sark.
I think Saban planned on promoting Enos. Championship game happened. Saban questioned the promotion. Enos saw the hesitation, got an offer from Miami and took it. Saban then went to Shark.

Shark is great. Would have loved to have him. Chaney is the more stable of the 2 mostly because he is happy being an OC. Vols got the better more long term candidate. Vols need that aspect more than Bama.

Reactions: CA_Vol
With what we are paying the overrated Chaney we will not be able to run him off. Just an average OC that nobody will be breaking the door down for. Lots of fans in Georgia are glad we took him off their hands. I didn't care for him when he was here before. Many many (no name) oc's out there better than Chaney, just my opinion. Now, if we are looking for stability in an OC we are sure to have it now. Nobody else will pay him close to what we are paying him. Again, as I type this I know I will catch lots of flack for this post.....................YOU THINK I REALLY CARE......ABSOLUTELY NOT. His offense is about as outdated as my 72 years of age. I still maintain with the talent we now have the spread offense is much more effective..........Mullins , at Florida, in one year has proven my point !!!!! Many coaches are just not willing to change with the times.

Last edited:
With what we are paying the overrated Chaney we will not be able to run him off. Just an average OC that nobody will be breaking the door down for. Lots of fans in Georgia are glad we took him off their hands. I didn't care for him when he was here before. Many many (no name) oc's out there better than Chaney, just my opinion. Now, if we are looking for stability in an OC we are sure to have it now. Nobody else will pay him close to what we are paying him. Again, as I type this I know I will catch lots of flack for this post.....................YOU THINK I REALLY CARE......ABSOLUTELY NOT. His offense is about as outdated as my 72 years of age. I still maintain with the talent we now have the spread offense is much more effective..........Mullins , at Florida, in one year has proven my point !!!!! Many coaches are just not willing to change with the times.
"Mullins, at Florida" HAS NOT proven that with the talent WE have, WE would be more effective with the spread. He proved it at Florida.

"Mullins, at Florida" HAS NOT proven that with the talent WE have, WE would be more effective with the spread. He proved it at Florida.
I was talking about the spread offense in general.................after all Jones recruited spread type talent....example smaller linemen etc. In other words to run a pro type offense you need large, big powerful linemen with big fullbacks..................we have neither at this time. I like a wide open, throw the ball, rather than a run run and three yards and a cloud of dust. Chaney likes to run off tackle every other play and with small linemen it is just like running into a brick wall. We haven't had big powerful o linemen in many years. I am totally disappointed with the hire and don't care who knows it. It is very obvious to me why we cannot recruit big time 5 star running backs because they do not like running into a brick wall all the time. We are not capable/nor haven't been in years of opening holes for them to run. The spread offense, if ran properly, opens lanes on its own without depending on big powerful linemen that we do not have. Simple as that.

Last edited:
I was talking about the spread offense in general.................after all Jones recruited spread type talent....example smaller linemen etc. In other words to run a pro type offense you need large, big powerful linemen with big fullbacks..................we have neither at this time. I like a wide open, throw the ball, rather than a run run and three yards and a cloud of dust. Chaney likes to run off tackle every other play and with small linemen it is just like running into a brick wall. We haven't had big powerful o linemen in many years. I am totally disappointed with the hire and don't care who knows it.
And you will get plenty of chances to whine about it this year im sure. There wasnt a miracle man out there that was going to come in here and make our oline effective on a regular basis this year. JMO

And you will get plenty of chances to whine about it this year im sure. There wasnt a miracle man out there that was going to come in here and make our oline effective on a regular basis this year. JMO
How well I know that !! Thank you for making my point. Whine I will do.

Chaney is a good OC imo. Not great. Much better than what we had. I didnt make your point by saying noone was going to work miracles with our oline. Time will tell.
We definitely agree that Chaney is much better than what we had !

WE don't care that you don't care.

I was talking about the spread offense in general.................after all Jones recruited spread type talent....example smaller linemen etc. ...
No. He was so stuck on his egotistical "scheme" that he tried to force round pegs into square holes. He promised Hurd a fullback in front of him and lost several top QBs because he wanted "athleticism" instead of great QBs. His recruiting and stubborn attitude pushed UT downhill.

Reactions: mtowntim and KBVol

VN Store

Back