Santiago Vescovi

Just pulled up the rule book, apparently the player can move within a 3-foot area. See Art. 8. I thought for sure I've seen traveling called for shuffling feet while throwing in though.

View attachment 252277

I missed that rule change. Used to be one foot had to stay in place like a pivot. No wonder I've seen so much feet shuffling with no traveling calls. Now I'll have to stop yelling "WALK" when I see it.

Also as far as running the baseline, the ref handing the ball to the inbounder always gives one of 2 signals. Waving an arm indicates running the baseline is allowed in the situation. Pointing at the inbounder's feet just as the ref hands him the ball indicates that the 3-foot spot is being enforced.

From Basketball without Borders

Best Point Guard:Santiago Vescovi Vannet
1f1fa-1f1fe.png

This was my 3rd time locking in on Vescovi Vannet after seeing him only a few weeks ago in Rhode Island at NPSI. He is the purest PG at camp. He has a sharp sense for play making and reading things before they happen. Some of the “english” he puts on the ball when he passes is unorthodox comparable to Manu Ginobili on the move in transition.

Reactions: Stoked and Freak
From Basketball without Borders

Best Point Guard:Santiago Vescovi Vannet
1f1fa-1f1fe.png

This was my 3rd time locking in on Vescovi Vannet after seeing him only a few weeks ago in Rhode Island at NPSI. He is the purest PG at camp. He has a sharp sense for play making and reading things before they happen. Some of the “english” he puts on the ball when he passes is unorthodox comparable to Manu Ginobili on the move in transition.
Interesting comparison. Ginobli is who he reminds me of, too. I thought the same thing watching him play on Saturday.

Reactions: sport3500
I missed that rule change. Used to be one foot had to stay in place like a pivot. No wonder I've seen so much feet shuffling with no traveling calls. Now I'll have to stop yelling "WALK" when I see it.

Also as far as running the baseline, the ref handing the ball to the inbounder always gives one of 2 signals. Waving an arm indicates running the baseline is allowed in the situation. Pointing at the inbounder's feet just as the ref hands him the ball indicates that the 3-foot spot is being enforced.

I don't have the rule to back it up available but the way a ref once explained it to me was there was never a pivot rule for out of bounds like you describe. He said most coaches use that to teach players -not- to walk on the out of bounds early and they just assume that is a legitimate rule from there. The "box" or space out of bounds has always been the rule. That's why you see on long/full court passes they don't call the player for planting back and stepping into the pass like a QB.

He certainly seems to have more a scorer's mentality than a point guard's. To come to a foreign country, practice one week, join a team that has already played double digit games, and then lead the team in field goal attempts is very surprising to me. He certainly doesn't lack confidence.

I watched him five minutes and thought he must have been Gail Goodrich's son. I'm probably the only one on here old enough to remember him. He was a 6'2 left hander that led an early 70's Lakers championship team in scoring. A team that also included Chamberlain and West. The resemblance was striking to me, but maybe I'm just an old man doing some reminiscing.
Didn’t that team also have Elgin Baylor .

I don't have the rule to back it up available but the way a ref once explained it to me was there was never a pivot rule for out of bounds like you describe. He said most coaches use that to teach players -not- to walk on the out of bounds early and they just assume that is a legitimate rule from there. The "box" or space out of bounds has always been the rule. That's why you see on long/full court passes they don't call the player for planting back and stepping into the pass like a QB.

Makes sense, but it also seems like I've seen refs give the traveling signal when calling a violation. But that could have been in high school and/or a long time ago.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
This young man is a difference maker. He was the catalyst for the Missouri win and seems to make those around him better. In basketball, if you can score under pressure, you can demoralize the opposing team. With 6 minutes left in the Missouri game, Vescovi scores 12 points just killing any momentum Missouri had. The young man can play!

He certainly seems to have more a scorer's mentality than a point guard's. To come to a foreign country, practice one week, join a team that has already played double digit games, and then lead the team in field goal attempts is very surprising to me. He certainly doesn't lack confidence.

I watched him five minutes and thought he must have been Gail Goodrich's son. I'm probably the only one on here old enough to remember him. He was a 6'2 left hander that led an early 70's Lakers championship team in scoring. A team that also included Chamberlain and West. The resemblance was striking to me, but maybe I'm just an old man doing some reminiscing.
I said the exact same thing about his resemblance to Gail Goodrich. The game and moments when you need a score don’t seem too big for SV!

Reactions: 76vol
That guy Knocking down threes like Chris Lofton. And he knows how to hit free throws, imagine that. So far he's been a very positive addition.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
We have to figure out an offense to get him some shots. He didn't get anything open until the end of the game when James started driving and dishing to get him open. He is a weapon 8 of 16 from the three he need five to 10 attempts per game.

Makes sense, but it also seems like I've seen refs give the traveling signal when calling a violation. But that could have been in high school and/or a long time ago.

If you step outside of that "box" it is the same signal as you "traveled" outside of that allowed perimeter. Dumb...but there's only so many hand signals refs can handle haha.

We have to figure out an offense to get him some shots. He didn't get anything open until the end of the game when James started driving and dishing to get him open. He is a weapon 8 of 16 from the three he need five to 10 attempts per game.

If you had to pick a time in the game that it was needed, that was perfect timing. Those double daggers, and hitting all those free throws just took away any chance that Missouri had. I think Barnes was smart to not play him so much, and put him in at just the right time. He played the decoy role for the entire game, and then let him go. It was perfect, IYAM.

Reactions: mytenn
If you step outside of that "box" it is the same signal as you "traveled" outside of that allowed perimeter. Dumb...but there's only so many hand signals refs can handle haha.
And Vescovi can't wear his number #9 for that very reason.

What were VS stats in the nba deal?

I thought I saw them somewhere but can’t find
I wanna say that he average close to 17 points 6 assists per game.

"According to the press release from the Vols, Vescovi was named the MVP of the 2019 Skill Factory Tournament of Champions in Atlanta after totaling 29 points, seven assists and six rebounds in the championship game."

I wanna say that he average close to 17 points 6 assists per game.

"According to the press release from the Vols, Vescovi was named the MVP of the 2019 Skill Factory Tournament of Champions in Atlanta after totaling 29 points, seven assists and six rebounds in the championship game."

Thanks

I was wanting to see him 3pt % and free throw% as well

I doubt they have Assist:TO but wouldn’t mind seeing it as well

Thanks

I was wanting to see him 3pt % and free throw% as well

I doubt they have Assist:TO but wouldn’t mind seeing it as well
Are you talking about the NBA G League Challenge? I posted all 6 games from his NBA Global Academy games which were against other HS talent july Atlanta.
The G league games held in Uraguay are harder to find, have since misplaced since seeing them.

Easier than I thought
International G league Challenge
Santiago Vescovi Player Profile, Tennessee, NCAA Stats, International Stats, Events Stats, Game Logs, Bests, Awards - RealGM

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

VN Store

Back