Sanky & the SEC owe us Mays’ Approval

The genie comes out of the bottle next year anyways. FTR I agree with a lot that you said, but the “Student-athlete” is gaining more power by the minute. If there was even a little bit of consistency taking place I wouldn’t have a problem w/ Cade having to sit, but there isn’t among college sports. After the Covid mess that has taken place between the leagues, there has never been a more logical time to have a legit individual commissioner for major college sports, especially football and basketball. College football needs leadership.

The conference has been consistent. Undergrads have to sit out. There may be an exception, but the overwhelming, if not all, undergrad transfers have had to sit within the conference.

Don't disagree with you it may be coming anyway, but I do not think it is good for the game.

The conference has been consistent. Undergrads have to sit out. There may be an exception, but the overwhelming, if not all, undergrad transfers have had to sit within the conference.

Don't disagree with you it may be coming anyway, but I do not think it is good for the game.

Van Jefferson didn't have to sit out....

Ole Miss beats Bama in back to back years. NCAA starts investigation. The field agent and supervisor are Bama grads. MSU (and Mullen) do most of the dirty work. The NCAA creates a specific rule that allows certain Ole Miss players instant eligibility (although they don't apply it consistently going forward). Van Jefferson transfers in conference and he goes to...the guy that did all the dirty work to bring Ole Miss down (Mullen) and the SEC signs off....

It’s set in stone that next year the one time transfer rule comes into play. I’m not a big fan of it, because I feel it does allow for a sort of free agency, but it is what it is. Given the circumstances of this season and the fact that this is a free year for anyone, why not let everyone who wants to play, play?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Remember, you likely have crooked-ass Kirby pulling at the SEC from the opposite side equally as hard as Tennessee is pushing. I’m sure UGA is claiming some sort of unfair advantage or some such. This kid should be playing this year, period!

All the more reason to hate Georgia.
Kirby said he was ok with it... Just more NCAA ********

Kind of torn on this one. Definitely see the obvious that "players should be allowed to play" mantra.

But...

Here is a scenario no one on our side has considered: the danger of becoming a farm team for the Bamas and Clemsons of CFB.

The kids are looking at this as business more and more. Say you are a rising junior and recognized as a stud DT, but you're on a team projected to finish .500 and nowhere near a championship of any kind or top tier bowl (Rose, Sugar, etc.)

Saban let's it be known he wishes he had a stud DT. Well, a young man might think to himself he can transfer with no penalty, play for the GOAT who produces 1st rounders like some folks produce farts, and maybe win a championship. Contact is made, and voila!, our All-American stud is off to Bama.

Once this genie is out of the bottle, it will not be put back in. Could make it more difficult to rise to the top.

I've said it will become like a free agent market....It will be nice when and if it benefits us....but will go into meltdown mode when it goes the other way.

Van Jefferson didn't have to sit out....

Ole Miss beats Bama in back to back years. NCAA starts investigation. The field agent and supervisor are Bama grads. MSU (and Mullen) do most of the dirty work. The NCAA creates a specific rule that allows certain Ole Miss players instant eligibility (although they don't apply it consistently going forward). Van Jefferson transfers in conference and he goes to...the guy that did all the dirty work to bring Ole Miss down (Mullen) and the SEC signs off....
Players are allowed to transfer anywhere when programs are placed on probation.

Players are allowed to transfer anywhere when programs are placed on probation.

But you didn't get immediate eligibility (as long as the team you were originally on didn't have a postseason ban your senior year) until the NCAA quickly passed the rule for Shea Patterson and Van Jefferson during all of this...

Cade should threaten to transfer to Clemson. Sankey preventing transfers within the league will only force those transferring out of the league.
Over the next few years if GA and Ala continue to fill their coffers with 5 stars that are forced to wait then recruited over with more 5 stars, we can expect a lot more of their players to transfer, is Sankey willing to let them walk from the league to UCF, or OK, only to see them in Championship games?
He needs to rethink his rules.

Reactions: hillsborovol
So why put mays and his family thru this whole process and hire a lawyer, waste thousands of dollars agaiant NCAA if only to in the end just say no? Pretty cruel by Sankey to let that family go thru this, only to let them go thru all this then you go on a radio show in Birmingham only to not tell us but just say rule is appropriate.. He now looks like a real *******.

Wonder if there would be a holdup on a player that has transferred to Alabama from an SEC school and been cleared by the NCAA? I'm asking for a friend.

Another thing, if Sankey knew all along hes blocking this, and you let this kid risk getting covid to practice and bring virus to his family... Shame on you Sankey you slimeball

Wonder if there would be a holdup on a player that has transferred to Alabama from an SEC school and been cleared by the NCAA? I'm asking for a friend.
I think they may indeed hold them up. You can't let a guy go star for a bad team in the league only to go to the great teams, or vice versa, you'll never have a competitive league if you let the top programs cherry pick all the All-Stars within the conference. Look at youth baseball, travel ball has nearly killed the sport because it's the least competitive "league" out there as there are probably 1000 mediocre teams to every great one. 12 mediocre teams with 2 elite teams every year will ruin a conference, see the Big 12 and Pac10 conferences for reference. I like the conference and where it is because of it's competitive balance.

I think they may indeed hold them up. You can't let a guy go star for a bad team in the league only to go to the great teams, or vice versa, you'll never have a competitive league if you let the top programs cherry pick all the All-Stars within the conference. Look at youth baseball, travel ball has nearly killed the sport because it's the least competitive "league" out there as there are probably 1000 mediocre teams to every great one. 12 mediocre teams with 2 elite teams every year will ruin a conference, see the Big 12 and Pac10 conferences for reference. I like the conference and where it is because of it's competitive balance.
This just got a little more complicated.

Seriously though - has the SEC granted ANY waiver for an in-conference transfer? I’ve never gotten my hopes up for Mays because I can’t think of a single time a waiver has been granted. Keep in mind grad transfers (B.Kennedy) are different things.

We can hate Sankey, Saban, and Smart, but I think we’d be better off lobbying for a rule change. Don’t hate the players, hate the game.

Cade, Gatewood, and Reese should all have expected to sit a year when they made their decisions to transfer within the SEC. We’re a more competitive bunch and don’t want to follow the NCAA clown show of randomly picking waivers to grant.

Or we will roll over and take it like we did with Anthony Jordan, the Bama game last year, and the SEC schedule this year....
This.

At what point does Tennessee (and the long list of other SEC school) just tell the SEC to piss right off?

It's so blatantly crystal clear that there is bias towards certain schools.

I'm actually insulted at this point at how stupid the SEC and NCAA in general thinks we are.

And yes i'm still salty about the officiating in the bama game last year.

So you’re fine with Tennessee developing a young man for 3 years into a potential All American and he goes to Alabama or Florida to win a NC his senior year.

Are we doing the thing where you ignore the intent of my post and just focus on the part you don't like?

In a year where everyone is getting a free year of eligibility and people are sitting out left and right, seems really ****ing stupid to tell one kid he can't play because of some competitive balance rule with everything going on. Really really ****ing stupid. But that's just me.

VN Store

Back