Sanky & the SEC owe us Mays’ Approval

Agree. We knew about the NCAA decision on Thursday night. I can’t imagine what the hold up is. The SEC has known about his transfer situation since January. I can’t think of any reason why there hasn’t been an announcement yet.

To approve Mays' waiver immediately after the ncaa did would somehow compromise the SEC's Power Image. They will hold out as long as possible; (when we know the decision is a no brainer) but realistically I expect a decision just in time for Cade to board the plane for Columbia.

Reactions: preacherwebb
I have a bad feeling that Saban and Kirby are in Skanky’s ear. I’m bracing for a major letdown.
Right now we aren’t Alabama’s biggest concern. We are getting better but Saban is more concerned with Jimbo, Coach O, and the possibility of having to play Kirby Dumb 2 times than he’s worried about Cade Mays approval.

Read where CJP said he is planning on having him play and that he will probably hear the answer before the game this Saturday

This is exactly why players are pissed and trying to unionize. There should be no reason a kid can't get a decision in a reasonable time. They fact that the SEC can still say no after the NCAA approved is also backward. Conference approval should be there before it goes to the NCAA and should, candidly, outweigh what the NCAA does. NCAA should only deny a transfer if there was inappropriate actions by the schools, player etc. This is silly.

As FireBall said there is likely contact and they know exactly when a decision will be made if it hasn't already.

Reactions: 08Vol and barrylee
This is exactly why players are pissed and trying to unionize. There should be no reason a kid can't get a decision in a reasonable time. They fact that the SEC can still say no after the NCAA approved is also backward. Conference approval should be there before it goes to the NCAA and should, candidly, outweigh what the NCAA does. NCAA should only deny a transfer if there was inappropriate actions by the schools, player etc. This is silly.

As FireBall said there is likely contact and they know exactly when a decision will be made if it hasn't already.
I agree ............... There needs to be a players association (not a union because they are not employees) just think how quickly this would be approved if the players refused to give interviews, and even refused to play. Think how fast Sankey would change his mind if the CBS Game of the Week had a chance to be canceled if Mays' waiver was denied. If all the players across the league stuck together they could control college athletics.

Has the SEC ever gone against the NCAA’s decision to grant immediate eligibility in the case of an intra-conference transfer?

Its not just a Cade Mays thing Sankey has to consider. It is all future transfers inside the conference. If they are going to allow them starting next year (inside the conference) then he should open the gate for these 4 or 5 pending now. But if the SEC isnt going to allow transfers inside the conference immediate eligibility, then I can see him making them sit. Frankly, I dont like immediate eligibility for transfers in the conference. You could lose your better players to a rival and play against them the next season.

Its not just a Cade Mays thing Sankey has to consider. It is all future transfers inside the conference. If they are going to allow them starting next year (inside the conference) then he should open the gate for these 4 or 5 pending now. But if the SEC isnt going to allow transfers inside the conference immediate eligibility, then I can see him making them sit. Frankly, I dont like immediate eligibility for transfers in the conference. You could lose your better players to a rival and play against them the next season.

I don't think anyone is saying instant transfers are the right thing in all circumstances within the conference but there needs to be a clear path for players to transfer anywhere they want to. If you lose your better players, on a regular basis, to rivals the first thing you need to ask is why. A healthy program wouldn't bleed players and I believe there is always churn if people don't get the playing time they want/think they deserve.

I would offer that if they schools pays for the year you played/participated in both sides held up the contract. If you feel, as a player, you have a better opportunity elsewhere why would anyone care to step in their way? There simply needs to be equity in the process so a student athlete isn't without recourse if the situation they signed up changes.

Usually if the NCAA approves something the conference follows suit. Getting NCAA approval has always been the hardest part. I’m not sure why they are dragging their feet

I don't think anyone is saying instant transfers are the right thing in all circumstances within the conference but there needs to be a clear path for players to transfer anywhere they want to. If you lose your better players, on a regular basis, to rivals the first thing you need to ask is why. A healthy program wouldn't bleed players and I believe there is always churn if people don't get the playing time they want/think they deserve.

I would offer that if they schools pays for the year you played/participated in both sides held up the contract. If you feel, as a player, you have a better opportunity elsewhere why would anyone care to step in their way? There simply needs to be equity in the process so a student athlete isn't without recourse if the situation they signed up changes.

So you’re fine with Tennessee developing a young man for 3 years into a potential All American and he goes to Alabama or Florida to win a NC his senior year.

So you’re fine with Tennessee developing a young man for 3 years into a potential All American and he goes to Alabama or Florida to win a NC his senior year.
NOOOO!, I'm fine with UGA doing it, and he develops into a potential ALL American and then him realizing that UGA won a natty in 1980 and they have little to no hope of doing it again, and then sending him to Tennessee.

They've had months to decide how they would proceed if the NCAA cleared him. They should have already done their due diligence and been ready to release an announcement immediately after. The next day would have been a slow response. Unfortunately, this is how any bureaucracy functions.

Greg Sankey tells
@jimdunaway
on WJOX, regarding transferring within the SEC, that the current rule is appropriate.

VN Store

Back