Sanctions

Thats a lot of schollys - that will hurt more than the bowl ban for sure

Yes, I would trade bowl bans for schollys any day of the week. Well I would not want to be banned for more than 2years.

Wouldn't a bowl ban also hurt the SEC due to us not going to bowls and putting that money in the pot? If we actually made it to a bowl game.

Oh look, 82 started another boring thread where he wants opinions that fall in line with his, but don’t dare to have an opposing or more entertaining view point.

At some point, the UT investigation will end, and will likely include recommendations to the Chancellor for self-imposed penalties. Then the waiting game starts again for an NCAA review of the case and decision on whether those sanctions were sufficient.

So talking about sanctions right now is nothing but prognostication. Still perhaps worth discussing.

What we know:
-- multiple high-level infractions (tier 1 or tier 2 or both);
-- an acknowledged loss of institutional control for some period of time, up to and including the head coach level (but apparently not beyond there);
-- swift, comprehensive and decisive corrective action by the university once leadership became aware of the problem.

The first two bullets argue for serious sanctions. The third mitigates the severity.

The five most common penalties in recent years have been (a) loss of scholarships, (b) post-season bans, (c) revocation of wins in record books, (d) show causes against the specific coaches involved, and (e) monetary penalties assessed against the university. I think it's possible we see all of these in our case. But how much, how many, how bad?

Probably too early to even guess at this until the particulars come out. Nonetheless, I would not be surprised (disappointed, but not surprised) for all 11 wins of the 2019 and 2020 seasons to be vacated. Would not be surprised to see us lose as many as 15 scholarships for up to two years, and be blocked from the post-season for the same period. Would definitely not be surprised to see lengthy show causes leveled against Pruitt, Niedermeyer and Felton, not that the latter is any skin off our noses.

What do you think? Anyone have experience with the NCAA in this regard, have a better feel for the upper and lower limits, assuming our violations are as numerous and serious as hinted in the Chancellor's press conference?

Not an NCAA expert, but not knowing what the violations are makes this assessment tough as I don't think all level 1 infractions are treated equally They all cross the line, but still a lot of range possible. I think it is possible the most important analysis will be on the methods employed to hide these acts. If they were slick enough to keep them out of view in normal operations, and not out there in a way staff upstream had to or did turn a blind eye, then I think the hammer is not as heavy. The speed with which we began the internal investigation after notified of the potential will also be a factor. The mix of employees fired has me perplexed. but the number could indicate the methods to hide the acts were complex. Sure do want to see the detail on what we found and hope after their review the NCAA did not uncover a lot more like in kind issues. or other infractions. The identity of the individual that raised the first flag could be important as well. Inside or outside the department or UT could be a factor. We are all hanging out to dry right now without any verified detail.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
If the ncaa really wants to punish UT, they'll nullify the firing of Jeremy Pruitt, mandate a 20-year contract and make cornbread the permanent mascot of UT football.

Reactions: tbh and Border Vol
If the ncaa really wants to punish UT, they'll nullify the firing of Jeremy Pruitt, mandate a 20-year contract and make cornbread the permanent mascot of UT football.

That would be bad, and the only way to make it worse would be to make a certain recently-transferred former Vol QB our QB-for-life...

At some point, the UT investigation will end, and will likely include recommendations to the Chancellor for self-imposed penalties. Then the waiting game starts again for an NCAA review of the case and decision on whether those sanctions were sufficient.

So talking about sanctions right now is nothing but prognostication. Still perhaps worth discussing.

What we know:
-- an acknowledged loss of institutional control for some period of time, up to and including the head coach level (but apparently not beyond there);
-- swift, comprehensive and decisive corrective action by the university once leadership became aware of the problem.

The first two bullets argue for serious sanctions. The third mitigates the severity.

The five most common penalties in recent years have been (a) loss of scholarships, (b) post-season bans, (c) revocation of wins in record books, (d) show causes against the specific coaches involved, and (e) monetary penalties assessed against the university. I think it's possible we see all of these in our case. But how much, how many, how bad?

Probably too early to even guess at this until the particulars come out. Nonetheless, I would not be surprised (disappointed, but not surprised) for all 11 wins of the 2019 and 2020 seasons to be vacated. Would not be surprised to see us lose as many as 15 scholarships for up to two years, and be blocked from the post-season for the same period. Would definitely not be surprised to see lengthy show causes leveled against Pruitt, Niedermeyer and Felton, not that the latter is any skin off our noses.

What do you think? Anyone have experience with the NCAA in this regard, have a better feel for the upper and lower limits, assuming our violations are as numerous and serious as hinted in the Chancellor's press conference?

JP, I don't know if we'll ever know what the infractions were. Could be wrong....... been known to happen, but UT in MHO would be foolish to air it. What they should have done was deny EVERYTHING! LSU did it, BAMA does it,UNC in basketball was blatant about PROVE it . Just shaking my head....

Last edited:
Also if Pruitt didn't know given UT's stance on how to approach the infractions, Pruitt needed to be fired because saying he didn't know was a farce.

Oh and BTW JP, SPOT ON Hoss!
Thanks, brother. I know nothing about these NCAA things, just going by what we've seen happen at other places over the years.

This excitement about a new coach and concern about possible sanctions are mixing together like water and oil. The two ends of a spectrum.

Reactions: tbh
Thanks, brother. I know nothing about these NCAA things, just going by what we've seen happen at other places over the years.

This excitement about a new coach and concern about possible sanctions are mixing together like water and oil. The two ends of a spectrum.

Dead on again Sir!

Yeah excitement is a good thing but when the fan base gets worked into a frenzy we have nothing but chaos. You'll have a divided fan base that likes the hire and then the reverse is a part of the fan base looking to already get the coach fired. I care not who the coach is (I do but MO is worthless) you will have those the straddle the fence and have an avenue to go to either side. I just wish we could hire a coach that would last more than 5 years! Feel me brother?

Dead on again Sir!

Yeah excitement is a good thing but when the fan base gets worked into a frenzy we have nothing but chaos. You'll have a divided fan base that likes the hire and then the reverse is a part of the fan base looking to already get the coach fired. I care not who the coach is (I do but MO is worthless) you will have those the straddle the fence and have an avenue to go to either side. I just wish we could hire a coach that would last more than 5 years! Feel me brother?
Most definitely. We need another Neyland-like run.

I'm sure a majority of Pruitt's wins will be vacated like Freeze's did at Ole Miss...
I hadn't thought about that. That would drop us below Georgia and out of the Top 10 in all time wins but at the rate they have been gaining they were going to pass us in about two years anyway.

JP, What kills me is why didn't UT just tell the NCAA to prove it? Other schools do it that don't even have our history. Dead on about water and oil sir. On another note, a man that owns a cat is an idiot hehe. Or in my case kitten and she draws blood but shes a cutie. (Hate Cats, Dog lover) But where do we go from here JP? I personally think we will be crawling out of a hole for years to come, UNLESS we hire a coach that can make kids leave the portal! Thoughts?

JP, What kills me is why didn't UT just tell the NCAA to prove it? Other schools do it that don't even have our history. Dead on about water and oil sir. On another note, a man that owns a cat is an idiot hehe. Or in my case kitten and she draws blood but shes a cutie. (Hate Cats, Dog lover) But where do we go from here JP? I personally think we will be crawling out of a hole for years to come, UNLESS we hire a coach that can make kids leave the portal! Thoughts?
I'm really hoping the coach to be announced (soon? imminently? before I can finish this post?) is just that good. Good enough to make every player who is in the portal or wavering step back and say, "man, I'm in it for this, for sure!"

What we know:

I know the NCAA has recently said they plan on holding the Coach's and player's more responsible after a lifetime of nailing schools. I hope they back up that talk. If true our penalties should be much less than if it had happened 10 yrs ago. Hold Pruitt, Niedermayer, Felton and others responsible either by monetary and/ or making it hard to get a great job for however many years. Then the players involved should either be suspended so many games or pay back the money before becoming eligible again. Too many years the Universities were punished much too severely and the ones committing the sanctions were slapped on the wrist. By over punishing schools you punish players and Coach's who weren't all involved.

I know the NCAA has recently said they plan on holding the Coach's and player's more responsible after a lifetime of nailing schools. I hope they back up that talk. If true our penalties should be much less than if it had happened 10 yrs ago. Hold Pruitt, Niedermayer, Felton and others responsible either by monetary and/ or making it hard to get a great job for however many years. Then the players involved should either be suspended so many games or pay back the money before becoming eligible again. Too many years the Universities were punished much too severely and the ones committing the sanctions were slapped on the wrist. By over punishing schools you punish players and Coach's who weren't all involved.
That's insightful, thanks, Jason. Hadn't heard that before.

The NCAA picks and chooses who to nail and who to let scoot. We've always been the red-headed stepchild with them. Hoping the hiring of a White as our AD plus the fact that we cleaned house will help mitigate some of the damage, but at this point, I don't give a damn what they do. If we get the right head coach in here and can win on Saturdays, I don't care about a bowl game. Look, we've sucked forever. We can win 3 games on or off probation so what the hell are they going to do to us that can possibly make things worse?

This is not true. Fulmer got away with more than any Coach had in that era. We easily could have gotten Ala type sanctions back in Fulmer's time but like Saban now, he had a little birdy protecting him. I assure you we have been the furthest from the Redheaded Stepchild from the NCAA.

That's insightful, thanks, Jason. Hadn't heard that before.

I heard it mentioned on talk radio here in Birmingham, so I hope that's the case. I haven't actually looked into it much but the morning sportsshow here is usually pretty reliable with the majority of stuff they say. Let's hope it's true, it would definitely help us.

VN Store

Back