Saban Lashes Out at A&M - Bama is a NIL Dinosaur

This guy sums up the passion of SEC Fans nicely

Yo is that my boy Matt back up in the building? He’s been killing the college football videos the past year. I remember when he was a little small channel and covered high school b ball. Not that I didn’t like that content, as I’m pretty sure he was all state in highschool and gave a good perspective on that front, but his college football stuff has been killing it. His channel has been popping off since he made the switch.

I'm sure all the Bama players suddenly driving new 50k-70k vehicles was completely above board over the last decade.
I mean why wouldn’t they suddenly have the money to make those kinds of car payments? Why wouldn’t their parents suddenly get new higher paying jobs? Hell if you’re high profile enough they can put up your family in new housing as well. Can’t spell your own name, well that’s no problem either.

Reactions: VolArmy74
Monty Python and others,Sabin is just playing all of you with his talking.You guys say he is a dinosaur,a dinosaur fox.Someone showed that Bama is ranked 34 in recruiting now.Look at the last several years at this time,Bama was about the same.Then look at the season end,Bama is one or two ranked.it's way too early to call this horse race.This is just off season make headlines for writers who fall all over themselves to get a big headline only to find out they have been had.Still three months plus till season and two plus til fall camp.You need to watch flowers grow and leave soap operas alone.
Bama will have a good recruiting class; Saban’s issue is the gap between Bama and other teams is narrowing. How many times does Bama play an opponent with equal or more talent than them?

Reactions: Remy
The upcoming SEC Media Days should be THE media days of media days in college football this season. A genuine Greatest Show On Earth, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus with the Jimbo-Saban Act, along with side attractions, of Kiffin, Drinkwitz, and I recommend as guest speaker Neon Deion. The SEC will jackasses to not arrange for Prime Time to be a guest speaker. It will be the talk of college football all through the season, and maybe beyond. Yes sir, might even start a trend, uh-huh.

Some comments to date:

Text from a Power 5 CFB coach to me just now: "Can I buy a ticket to your spring meetings this year?"

Text from a SEC Coach to me: "SEC MEETINGS ARE GOING TO BE AWESOME IN A FEW WEEKS?"

God I love this league/conference

— Peter Burns (@PeterBurnsESPN) May 19, 2022

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Here's the problem. NIL's are driven by the local market's ability to find funding through donors. Alabama, as a state, has 2 problems.
1. they aren't a state with a lot of big money businesses. Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Montgomery are all relatively small.
2. They are a state divided between 2 major football programs.
Too little money diluted between 2 schools is a recipe for irrelevance in short order. Saban knows it. States like California, Texas, Florida are cash heavy and have multiple big named schools but they can still outperform someone like Alabama. Tennessee and all other SEC schools for the most part are single school states. Tennessee is a booming state with tons of money floating around. So is Georgia. The writing is on the wall. The college football landscape is about to change dramatically.

The upcoming SEC Media Days should be THE media days of media days in college football this season. A genuine Greatest Show On Earth, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus with the Jimbo-Saban Act, along with side attractions, of Kiffin, Drinkwitz, and I recommend as guest speaker Neon Deion. The SEC will jackasses to not arrange for Prime Time to be a guest speaker. It will be the talk of college football all through the season, and maybe beyond. Yes sir, might even start a trend, uh-huh.

Some comments to date:

Text from a Power 5 CFB coach to me just now: "Can I buy a ticket to your spring meetings this year?"

Text from a SEC Coach to me: "SEC MEETINGS ARE GOING TO BE AWESOME IN A FEW WEEKS?"

God I love this league/conference

— Peter Burns (@PeterBurnsESPN) May 19, 2022

And remember when we all thought Mike Leach would liven things up at those SEC media days?
Nothing like $EC... but wait, to $abin's rescue here comes $ankey to quiet things down

And remember when we all thought Mike Leach would liven things up at those SEC media days?
Nothing like $EC... but wait, to $abin's rescue here comes $ankey to quiet things down

SIGH!! You're more than likely right. Darn shame, though.

Deion Sanders throwing shade on Nick Saban as well. I hope the external pressure grows. It’s time for him to phase out of college football.

Reactions: Remy
Lot of messages being thrown in short order. Satan said I don’t like what you A&M is doing to me. Fisher says I know where you buried all those dead bodies. Daddy Sankey says both you children shut-up before the revenuers find the illegal stills both of you are running.

Deion Sanders throwing shade on Nick Saban as well. I hope the external pressure grows. It’s time for him to phase out of college football.

THIS is the one Saban had no business going after that will end up really biting him in the donkey. Sanders wants this discussion to take place in public where Saban started it. He's unwilling to take a private phone call. Primetime knows where a lot of the Bama skeletons are buried and have been for years. Coach Sanders seems to think per an article I read this afternoon is Saban is angry with his organization as they are easily outspent for college players now. Since he has to keep them far away his money people can't get a phone call, email, or even a text so this was his way of communicating to them, we need more money fast!!!

Actually I think Jimbo won the fight. It was Saban admitting he made the mistake mentioning names the next day. Jimbo 2 Nicky 0 in the Great NIL War.

I am very pleased Heupel doesn’t feel the need to get involved unlike some other media-hungry coaches do.

Heuel “Walk softly while building the Big Stick”

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Actually I think Jimbo won the fight. It was Saban admitting he made the mistake mentioning names the next day. Jimbo 2 Nicky 0 in the Great NIL War.

I am very pleased Heupel doesn’t feel the need to get involved unlike some other media-hungry coaches do.

I agree.... It is funny that Finebaum the day after stated that Saban won the battle. Finebaum has his Head up the wrong Backside.

The real issue here is that Nothing, NOTHING is going to happen from this display of Stupidity and 2 year old temper tantrum.

The SEC Coaches go to your corners and take a Time Out
The NCAA has there Head in the Sand and trying to get NIL under Control by Appealing to Congress and regurgitating previous rules that have no impact. What's more the NCAA had a 31 page Document in 2020 regarding NIL and it never was released or left the building.
The State of Alabama will have to repeal the NIL repeal that they enacted. IOW, the State approved NIL then Repealed it. Now they will go through the process again to do it.
Nick sending messages to Boosters and State Legislature to enact NIL once again and his statement was two-fold 1) Take a shot or two at NIL universities and 2) Get Alabama Legislature back into NIL approval.

Will Saban be able to get away with false statements? Probably.

Endowments arent the same as a slush fund...they cant be used for whatever purpose the university decides. Each endownment is earmarked for a specific cause/program/project etc.

The operative word in the current state of the NIL is collective. While Vandy alum are on average are in a different tax bracket, Tennessee's rabid and sizeable fanbase will most likely insure more money flows into the Big Orange collectives than all the Harvard/Vandy/Stanfords of the college landscape.
Precisely right, brother.

Endowments don't help if they're not earmarked for the thing you want to improve.

And rich alumni do you no good if they aren't willing to ante up for athletics.

Vandy, Harvard, and some other schools may have huge endowments (they do) and many well-off alumni (they do), but that means little to nothing for their sports programs.

To predict the "haves" in college football financing potential, one need only look at which fan bases are biggest and most rabid. Ten million $25 donations beat a few dozen $1,000,000 donations. Every time.

Last edited:
All monies being fungible, a donation to a specific program means little. My family wanted to give a sizable donation to a university Library system, but with on caveat, the regular budget could not be cut. The university refused and they got nothing.
True, a valid point. However, all monies are not equally fungible. Large, bureaucracy-infested organizations' budgets* tend to have all kinds of codicils and formulae, along with an inertia that comes in part from self-interested, knife-wielding sub-groups inside the larger one. Academic departments, for instance. And administrative departments. And the athletic department. The friction and resistance to significant budgetary change within these complex organizations can be amazingly viscous.

* particularly large organizations that are financially tied to the even larger bureaucracy of state/federal government, or receive government research and other types of funding (which all universities do, even the private ones) .

Reactions: VolDave53
But isn't Birmingham one of the top banking centers in the country? I was always told that's why Bama had so much money to "support" their football program.
It's not. The "top financial centers in the US" list I just got from a google search includes New York City, San Francisco, Charlotte, Minneapolis-St Paul, and Chicago. Birmingham is not mentioned.

Now, banking may be the single biggest sector of the Birmingham economy. But saying that banking is their thing doesn't mean they have a significantly important role almong the rest of the country.

Banking can be important to Birmingham without Birmingham being important to banking. :)

Last edited:
I'm on team Jimbo if it means the downfall of Saban/Alabama. It would be nice if his comments peaked enough intrigue that folks started digging further into that program.

I don't think the current state of NIL is good for college football; however, we seem to be one of the leaders in that area and daggonit I just want to win again. So whichever way CFB goes, lets be at the forefront.

I love reading how much dawg and gump fans hate the NIL. “Paying players will ruin the sport”. How hypocritical can you possibly be? Y’all been paying players under the table for years. You simply just hate the fact that now other “wealthier” programs can do it legally. No it’s just players really want to play for Captain Bowl-cut or live in Tuscaloosa. Lmao!

VN Store

Back