Ryan Johnson and Jerrod Means enter the transfer portal

Pruitt needs to get on Xferportal.com and put an experienced WR or two in his shopping cart. We may be pretty good w Palmer, Keyton, Gibbs, Tillman, and Johnson next year. But with one true FR so far verbaled, we will be thin. And 2021. We need another elite WR signee and an xfer or two IMO.

The J. Means situation bothers me a little. I know he's raw and got bounced around early with positions, but this kid is put together like a future NFL player receiver. I was hoping he was gonna turn into our next great deep threat. I think I remember Pruitt say he found him at camp two years ago when he ran a 4.4 at 6-2 215........Could look like Tarzan, but play like Jane? I wish we had a chance to see!

Ryan Johnson needs a fresh start some place else. Thank you for your contributions Ryan.

Who is Jerrod Means?

And the most important thing to remember is once they are actually listed into the transfer portal their "old team" is free to move their scholarship to another recruit/player and they no longer have any obligation to the player short of ensuring that their current semester is funded. IF the player decides to stay at their current school ( or don't have any suitors for their talents) after entering transfer portal its at the discretion of the staff to accept them back. The transfer portal put a lot of the power of getting playing time in the players hands but also balanced it with the player better be danged sure he doesn't want to just kick the tires because he might not have a landing spot.
Good info. I learn something every day on this crazy forum.

Reactions: bag12day
Pruitt needs to get on Xferportal.com and put an experienced WR or two in his shopping cart. We may be pretty good w Palmer, Keyton, Gibbs, Tillman, and Johnson next year. But with one true FR so far verbaled, we will be thin. And 2021. We need another elite WR signee and an xfer or two IMO.

Committment J. Callaway has indicated he'll begin his career at WR, so he and Hyatt are two. I'm with you on the possibility if we can add 1 graduate transfer to the group if it's the right guy. I wouldn't want more than that.

Johnson letter:

“I am writing this letter to let you know that as of this morning, I have requested that my name be placed into the graduate transfer portal. This has not been an easy decision for me or my family as I have been a Vol fan my whole life. But I believe that it is time for me to start a new chapter inmy life and in my football career. First of all, I would like to thank all the young men and women who have been my fans and waited for me diligently after every game to give me a high five whether we won or lost. You are truly VFLs. I would also like to thank the VolNation for the last four years -- this has been an incredible ride. I am extremely proud of our school, our football program, my teammates, and my effort I gave my university every day on and off the field. Please know that I love the University very much and I will always be a VFL and will always cheer VolNation on. This is not my “good-bye” to the University of Tennessee -- it is just “farewell for now” because Tennessee will always be Home Sweet Home to me."
Thank you,
Ryan Johnson #70

We better hope Gibbs doesn't turn out to be just a practice hero at WR.

And even if he's the real deal, we are mighty thin after he and Palmer. Brandon Johnson needs to step up big time.

Johnson letter:

“I am writing this letter to let you know that as of this morning, I have requested that my name be placed into the graduate transfer portal. This has not been an easy decision for me or my family as I have been a Vol fan my whole life. But I believe that it is time for me to start a new chapter inmy life and in my football career. First of all, I would like to thank all the young men and women who have been my fans and waited for me diligently after every game to give me a high five whether we won or lost. You are truly VFLs. I would also like to thank the VolNation for the last four years -- this has been an incredible ride. I am extremely proud of our school, our football program, my teammates, and my effort I gave my university every day on and off the field. Please know that I love the University very much and I will always be a VFL and will always cheer VolNation on. This is not my “good-bye” to the University of Tennessee -- it is just “farewell for now” because Tennessee will always be Home Sweet Home to me."
Thank you,
Ryan Johnson #70
That’s some classy stuff. Good luck to the guy.

The J. Means situation bothers me a little. I know he's raw and got bounced around early with positions, but this kid is put together like a future NFL player receiver. I was hoping he was gonna turn into our next great deep threat. I think I remember Pruitt say he found him at camp two years ago when he ran a 4.4 at 6-2 215........Could look like Tarzan, but play like Jane? I wish we had a chance to see!

If he was that fast and had those measurables, you would think he would be higher rated. 3 star with UT and UNC being the only significant schools.

I guess the recruiting services are right some times

I'm not sure if Johnson would be the starter at C even if Kennedy left. Carvin was getting plenty of reps at center as well. Plus Mays is pegged to be the future starter at Center in 2021.

Quitters! I know that is an unpopular opinion, but that is what they are. Kids these days give up if everything doesn't go their way. What happened to commitment to one's school and team?

Quitters! I know that is an unpopular opinion, but that is what they are. Kids these days give up if everything doesn't go their way. What happened to commitment to one's school and team?

Well that's kinda like saying you should stick with your employer who won't promote you nor give you a pay raise. At least in Johnson's case. He is graduating and is leaving as a grad transfer. He has been here 4 years and its clear that he wasn't starting next year. The kid wants to play, can't fault him for that.

In Means' case I'm not sure what motivated his entry into the portal. He is only a freshman (I believe) and I would assume have ample opportunities to see the field in the future. Nonetheless, I can't fault this kid either if he believes there are greener pastures somewhere else regardless of why he wants to leave (I assuming he is leaving on good standards).

Good luck to both kids.

I'm not sure if Johnson would be the starter at C even if Kennedy left. Carvin was getting plenty of reps at center as well. Plus Mays is pegged to be the future starter at Center in 2021.
Well this staff likes to move the linemen around to get them acquainted with all the positions. I find that understandable. What I didn't care for was the constant shuffling around every game trying to find the right 5. This went on up until MSU game when they took Calbert out and inserted Carvin at RG. Been that way ever since and pass blocking has been very effective. Run blocking is just now producing some results. Difficult to rely on Freshmen and Sophs in the SEC. No doubt we'll improve more in time.

Well this staff likes to move the linemen around to get them acquainted with all the positions. I find that understandable. What I didn't care for was the constant shuffling around every game trying to find the right 5. This went on up until MSU game when they took Calbert out and inserted Carvin at RG. Been that way ever since and pass blocking has been very effective. Run blocking is just now producing some results. Difficult to rely on Freshmen and Sophs in the SEC. No doubt we'll improve more in time.

Totally agree. Hell they were still giving Locklear and Jahmir a series or two up until the Vandy game. Drove me batshat crazy!!! I hope we can settle on 5 next year and let that 5 play, even through the mistakes and mental lapses.

Reactions: Rockytopvol86

VN Store

Back