Russell Smith reporting Kellie Jolly-Harper has been hired

The same people telling us how bad this hire is are the same ones that are pushing for Melanie Balcolm. I would take KJH any day of the week over someone that got fired from VANDERBILT. I could not stand her there and sure could not tolerate her here.
I don’t particularly think it is an amazing hire. I have mentioned her name, but I would never want Balcomb as a head coach here. I do think she has a great, talented offensive mind that could be useful to whoever we hire for our head coach. I can do without her “fainting goat” defense though!

Creek dipper pointed this out on another thread (I didn’t know how to copy’ sorry CD) but she did just win COY voted on by other coaches and her team finished ranked 24th.
This is with a group of good kids I’m sure but I think the LVs have more upside.

I don’t particularly think it is an amazing hire. I have mentioned her name, but I would never want Balcomb as a head coach here. I do think she has a great, talented offensive mind that could be useful to whoever we hire for our head coach. I can do without her “fainting goat” defense though!
Never Balcomb as head coach but I would as Offensive coordinator!

It's possible that Kellie is indeed the hire and that the announcement has been delayed in order to give the Harpers a chance to break the news to their team and say goodbye. If this is truly the case, I'm sure a lot of tears were shed on both sides. Evidently, Kellue and this team were really close, and the players will be heartbroken to lose her.

The Lady Bears are quality kids. They are fighters with no quit in them. Whether the Harpers just recruited players with great values or helped instll those qualities, those kids are a credit to their university and their coaches. They're going to be okay if the news is true (they return almost everyone and have another good incoming class), but this will sting.

We would be very fortunate indeed to have a team that plays as hard and with as much passion as MO State.
Absolutely it's been awhile since we have seen that.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Creek dipper pointed this out on another thread (I didn’t know how to copy’ sorry CD) but she did just win COY voted on by other coaches and her team finished ranked 24th.
This is with a group of good kids I’m sure but I think the LVs have more upside.
Not to take away from her award, which is definitely serious kudos for Harper, but Holly won a coach of the year award here first year that didn’t necessarily lead to greatness. I really like Kellie the player and person. I have my doubts on whether I will love Kellie, the coach. I think we all had the same thoughts about Holly, as well. In my perfect world, we would have went outside the family to fully get away from Pat’s amazing shadow and let that coach stand on their own merits, either good or bad.

Not to take away from her award, which is definitely serious kudos for Harper, but Holly won a coach of the year award here first year that didn’t necessarily lead to greatness. I really like Kellie the player and person. I have my doubts on whether I will love Kellie, the coach. I think we all had the same thoughts about Holly, as well. In my perfect world, we would have went outside the family to fully get away from Pat’s amazing shadow and let that coach stand on their own merits, either good or bad.
WE very may have went outside if Pat had already passed!

Sure seems like it with all the outlets reporting it...

Is she a fiery coach Sorry for your loss but give us an inside scoop if you could... does her team play well on the offensive side of the ball? It’s a problem we have had for a long time having a discernable offensive flow or pattern.

Makes sense. The big name coaches tossed out on here were so unrealistic. Many disdain the Lady Vol name and history. They have become the faces of their own programs. They view Tennessee as "catchable" now.

Best of luck to Harper. IIRC Summitt once quipped that Kellie informed her and Mickie that she would come back here and coach someday.
If that was her plan, that’s great! I think Kellie will be one smart, tough, determined Tennessee Lady Vol Coach!

Is she a fiery coach Sorry for your loss but give us an inside scoop if you could... does her team play well on the offensive side of the ball? It’s a problem we have had for a long time having a discernable offensive flow or pattern.
I’m not them, but I think their offensive stats are what most concern me about the hire. They averaged less points per game than we did. Granted, it’s different schedules, so transitive property is hard to go on. However, against a tougher schedule, we did put up more points with better athletes. They shot 33% from 3, which is the same as we did. The most concerning stat to me was the assist to turnover ratio, which was the exact same as our at 0.9. They rebounded well though! Their defense did seem to be better than ours, but not much different than our team on the offensive side.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
*** d**nit!!!

I'm crying tonight as a Lady Bears fan
Sorry, no joke. You seem like a nice guy who loves your school.

Must say one thing, I went over and looked at one of your fan sites. Made me feel better; youall have some posters as ignorant and ugly as some we have here, just not as many😂. But then there are fewer on your board. Crazy was the correct choice of words.

Stay around, if Kellie does come home, you can follow her with the rest of us. Most of us are rational people and enjoy a poster from another university (poster, not troll..we get a lot of those).

Good luck on hiring a new coach (if Kellie really leaves). I like Jackie Stiles a lot!

And don’t worry, when we have the riot, I’ll make sure you get invited👍🧡.

Everyone knows that anyone would be better than Holly....... That being said: Keeping the team together and the recruits coming is the key to next year. Most think Evina is leaving? She would be a big loss but not devastating. The two bigs have both stated that they are committed. But no news about Horston? She would be more of a loss than E !!!!! JMO
With Jaz, Zay, Horston, and Aussie , should give us a good set of guards. If E stays ? Even better! Even with the others : KK , Brown , MiMi , Burrelle , and the other key player Davis . I don’t see KK or Brown leaving and we could survive without MiMi or Burrelle. Davis would hurt but not as bad as Horston! She is key to our next season! Just saying.

Everyone knows that anyone would be better than Holly....... That being said: Keeping the team together and the recruits coming is the key to next year. Most think Evina is leaving? She would be a big loss but not devastating. The two bigs have both stated that they are committed. But no news about Horston? She would be more of a loss than E !!!!! JMO
With Jaz, Zay, Horston, and Aussie , should give us a good set of guards. If E stays ? Even better! Even with the others : KK , Brown , MiMi , Burrelle , and the other key player Davis . I don’t see KK or Brown leaving and we could survive without MiMi or Burrelle. Davis would hurt but not as bad as Horston! She is key to our next season! Just saying.

As of now, everyone is staying and recruits are coming. Fulmer reached out to each recruit to inform them of new coach before announcement.

ESPN reporting that Barnes will stay at Tennessee and has renegotiated a contract in the vicinity of $5 million a year, and perhaps salary increases for his staff.

I suspect the new Lady Vols coach will get about 90% less.

I really hope people are more supportive when she and her family are introduced this week. If she's going to keep the team together and not lose recruits, it would be helpful for fans to at least pretend to be willing to give her a chance. Players and recruits will be watching.

Set back set back set back, set back set back set back, sigh, man what a let down shows the value of Lady Vol program to a football coach.

Reactions: volman128
I don’t like proclaiming freshmen as keys to any season because we have done that for years now. I really like Horston’s game in high school, but I did Evina’s, Diamond’s, Tea’s, Mercedes’s, Cierra’s, and Ariel’s as well. Holding onto players I agree is a key, but I think the bigger key is implementing a system that works on the offensive and defensive side. I hope Kellie can bring that or hire someone who will.

Just my opinion too but I think Mimi and Burrelle could be big contributors next year. I loved their intensity when they got in.

VN Store

Back