Rush Propst breaks down Vols offense

We are Volnation, and we are highlighting his statements about Tennessee football on our forum. I doubt even Butch Jones thoughts about the current state of the offense would be appreciated, and he is a higher caliber of coach and a better person than Propst.
We are individual posters on a forum, and we have the ability to post what we want within the agreed upon guidelines. We also have the ability to read and post on particular threads if we want--or to not do so. I don't have a problem with someone linking this guy's opinion.

so am i. 1. football wise, he was a high school coach, which doesnt exactly make him an expert, tho he was good at his level.
2. He wasnt fired for his secret family. he was fired for his conduct with students, honest, and mishandling funds, and owing almost half a million dollars in taxes.

one of many sources Georgia's highest-paid high school football coach stayed employed despite a decade of abuse, misconduct allegations
He would have a more high profile job if he weren’t such a train wreck. Saban has talked to him a few times. If Nick Saban thinks he’s worth his time I would say he knows a little.

What if is also one of my favorite comics to get to. That picture of the Watcher in a skirt is a little unnerving tho. as far as the football part, i agree with what you're saying. My question to you is how you know that it is Pruitt being shifty, and that it wasnt Chaney's idea.

Picked that cover to ensure you knew I was posting good-naturedly. Shuffling, I do believe CJP himself said he was doing that to find his best starting five. I just think doing that during games is detrimental to winning. He's the coach but my brain is mine so I'm free to think what I will. So I think he needs to get out of Chaney's way.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Maybe you should create a list of acceptable persons. In the last few days, we have had threads discussing what Urban Meyer and Leonard Little had to say about UT. I assume they would not make the cut.

I think everyone is entitled to their own list. In the cases you mentioned, especially Courtney Smith in the case of Urban Meyer and Michael Gutweiler in the case of Leonard Little.

In 1998, Michael Gutweiler lost his mother to a drunken driver--the Rams' Leonard Little. Now the Pro Bowl player is in trouble again, and Gutweiler must deal with reopened wounds.

Reactions: MichaelT
I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think he’d be on staff to some extent nxt season.

That being said he schools prolly clean his own porch before talking about ours

My thought is that Chaney will go to more quick passes where there is no post snap "read" required by the QB. 1-2-3 throw, do not hold the ball. Slants, quick outs, seam routes when the D is in the right coverage. Read the D before snap make the decision where the ball is going and make the throw. I know it is not Chaney's style but we have to move to more of a quick passing game, let the corners start pressing the line and then try to throw over the top. That is about all Chaney can do with the way JG is playing right now.
Actually if you look at what Chaney did at UGA, it was mostly short hitches and slants. If you remember, Fromm was criticized for not having much of an arm. "He just throws underneath, I git it." Hopefully for JG, he can figure out who to throw it to (who's not in triple coverage). But he better think fast.

FTA:
Jeremy Pruitt’s former boss says that even if the game is put away early, it maybe more beneficial to run and work on the Wildcat package rather than inserting Shrout and Maurer.​
“If you want to expand your Wildcat package, I would, because that is your change-up and your second offense — and can become a good offense,” Propst said. “If you are going to expand that package, it’s hard to work your second quarterback. I think Jarrett has to have confidence, he’s got to play better and they know what they have seen in camp, during spring and summer, they know who their best option is at quarterback."​

Logical. Emotionally unsatisfying for many, but logical.

Logical but absolutely wrong...
Most of the times right.
Generally right with this logic in how it pertains to choosing a starting QB

He isn’t wrong. JG has to let it fly to your playmakers. No pass rush to give you extra possessions on offense, so when you have the ball throw to Callaway & Jennings a few more times.

Mix it up and keep them guessing. Never let them be comfortable that they know within a few plays what you are doing.

A confused defense plays on it's heels and that indecision will often result in 3-5 more yards a play or maybe making that last available defender miss a tackle.

My thought is that Chaney will go to more quick passes where there is no post snap "read" required by the QB. 1-2-3 throw, do not hold the ball. Slants, quick outs, seam routes when the D is in the right coverage. Read the D before snap make the decision where the ball is going and make the throw. I know it is not Chaney's style but we have to move to more of a quick passing game, let the corners start pressing the line and then try to throw over the top. That is about all Chaney can do with the way JG is playing right now.

Agreed, but we are already doing that. Not much more they can do. JG has to make some throws. Everybody already knows he’s going to check it down to the easy flat route.

why are we giving a platform to a disgraced former high school coach?

Because the guy that wrote the story has connections to Birmingham, went to UAB, and is close with Probst. He has some notoriety, so the story gets clicks all over the southeast. VolsWire, despite being tied to USA Today is a pay-for-clicks site. So the more message boards Dan can post his article on, the more dimes he gets from the company.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think he’d be on staff to some extent nxt season.

That being said he schools prolly clean his own porch before talking about ours

I don't know. I can't see Prior bringing him in with the baggage. He makes Lane appear high character.

That being said, I love reading the thoughts of coaches who understand the game at this level. It's interesting to see how they view the issues that we have. Quite a difference from most fans who are flailing around with some crazed opinions.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
We are individual posters on a forum, and we have the ability to post what we want within the agreed upon guidelines. We also have the ability to read and post on particular threads if we want--or to not do so. I don't have a problem with someone linking this guy's opinion.

No doubt. Half the time somebody is linking to some drivel from that moron John Adams. At least this guy understands something about the game.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
It all sounds good until you go back and look at let season. JG should’ve had all the confidence he needed after beating Auburn and UK and he still flailed his way into losing out on a chance at a bowl game.
JG could take this game and light it up and out 100 on the board and he will still come out next week and be hot garbage. If he couldn’t build confidence beating 2 ranked teams last year and use that to propel us to a low tier bowl. He isn’t getting any sustained confidence by lighting upUTC.

This is the game we need to use to break in a new qb. That’s our only shot at being more than a 1-2 win team this year.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
so am i. 1. football wise, he was a high school coach, which doesnt exactly make him an expert, tho he was good at his level.
2. He wasnt fired for his secret family. he was fired for his conduct with students, honest, and mishandling funds, and owing almost half a million dollars in taxes.

one of many sources Georgia's highest-paid high school football coach stayed employed despite a decade of abuse, misconduct allegations

Pretty much a carbon copy of what he did in Alabama. Guy is a complete slime ball.

VN Store

Back