Rush Propst breaks down Vols offense

My thought is that Chaney will go to more quick passes where there is no post snap "read" required by the QB. 1-2-3 throw, do not hold the ball. Slants, quick outs, seam routes when the D is in the right coverage. Read the D before snap make the decision where the ball is going and make the throw. I know it is not Chaney's style but we have to move to more of a quick passing game, let the corners start pressing the line and then try to throw over the top. That is about all Chaney can do with the way JG is playing right now.

We have already seen a lot of these quick passes. They are usually thrown behind the line of scrimmage and result in 3 yard losses.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I mean....I can't argue with a guy who has been that successful at his level. He knows football. And he's right. Our defense does not have the depth/talent/experience to get off the field quickly. My mind goes back to Fulmer's last year in 2008 (I think), where we had a lights out defense.....but we had an offense that would go 3 and out every time. The defense was out there all game long. The offense averaged 17 points a game that year. Our defense had a lot of playmakers, and did great. But the offense couldn't give them time to recover.

And then, in 2012, Dooley's last year, we had Tyler Bray at QB, who put up a 3,600 yard, 34 TD season on 59% passing, and threw it to Cordarrelle Patterson, who scored 10 Total TD's that year, Justin Hunter, who had over 1,000 yards and 9 TDs, Rajion Neal, who had 1,000 total yards and 9 TDs, and Mychal Rivera who scored 5 TDs that year, not to mention a solid offensive line (Alex Bullard, Tiny Richardson, Zach Fulton, Marcus Jackson, Juwaun James, James Stone - all who went pro, I believe), and we STILL went 5-7, because a Sal Sunseri defense couldn't stop anyone.

There has to be balance. And in order for there to be balance, there has to be equal development and recruiting. I see a lot of great pieces on both sides of the ball that are coming up. But we won't see anything take shape until we see enough balance on both sides where we are playing well in all three phases of the game. Right now, we aren't there yet. We need development and recruiting/depth in every single position.

I really like his take on everything though. It makes sense. Hopefully JG will gain some confidence. That's our real only hope right now.

Amen. The lack of likes on this post blatantly reveals the true elephant in the room. That's emotion over-riding that elusive combination of over-the-years attained savvy, presented with legitimate mental maturity. 505 states this exactly right, IMHO.

Looky here, my dear VN comrades: it would be far easier for CJP to maybe have won those two supposed cupcakes that've (in most minds) destroyed this season...already. The blueprint for such a level of success, for which he's working so hard, can't be implemented as long as two key components aren't in it. 1. Stellar talent 3 levels deep, and 2. The necessary instant football instincts deeply tattooed into these boys, brains. Whether this overall fanbase is patient or if y'all aren't, Fulmer is letting this staff go through the next couple of seasons without threatening to "fahr 'em," giving these proven professional free reins to make UT football a CFB football juggernaut again.

Get'em better quick, though, Coaches. A lot of quirky natives are getting restless.GBO!

Reactions: TNHopeful505
Good to hear this guy after listening to Ainge and Swain. Nice common sense point of view. He's saying there is a chance to upset the Gators. Stay tuned.
He lost all credibility on every point he made if he believes we have a chance to beat Florida.

Dont know,

Is rush propst becoming the official opinion giver of Tennessee football or something? I mean, given his accurate prediction of the ut flordia game, I reckon he deserves some credibility

He needs to breakdown his makeshift sideshow and go back to Bama. Rush is a hack and has yet to correctly identify anything. Clearly, he’s just trying to ride this out because he’s been fired at all these jobs.
(Yes, I went to HHS when he was there)

Dont know,

Is rush propst becoming the official opinion giver of Tennessee football or something? I mean, given his accurate prediction of the ut flordia game, I reckon he deserves some credibility

I was hoping more to discuss the possibility that having a passing game coordinator separate from the offensive coordinator when no one's used to doing that could be part of the issue with the "throw game." Seems people prefer to discuss Propst instead.

Since Cheney is clearly not used to working with a passing game coordinator, and our offense looks dysfunctional in the passing game, I wonder if there could be a chemistry issue or something that's contributing to the regression.

I really don't think jg has regressed. He is being ask to do more, like throwing downfield and he can't do it, thus the iterceptions, and missed wide open throws. The past coaches have been coaching around him.

VN Store

Back