Rush Propst breaks down Vols offense

My thought is that Chaney will go to more quick passes where there is no post snap "read" required by the QB. 1-2-3 throw, do not hold the ball. Slants, quick outs, seam routes when the D is in the right coverage. Read the D before snap make the decision where the ball is going and make the throw. I know it is not Chaney's style but we have to move to more of a quick passing game, let the corners start pressing the line and then try to throw over the top. That is about all Chaney can do with the way JG is playing right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: EZE and DonDiego
FTA:
Jeremy Pruitt’s former boss says that even if the game is put away early, it maybe more beneficial to run and work on the Wildcat package rather than inserting Shrout and Maurer.​
“If you want to expand your Wildcat package, I would, because that is your change-up and your second offense — and can become a good offense,” Propst said. “If you are going to expand that package, it’s hard to work your second quarterback. I think Jarrett has to have confidence, he’s got to play better and they know what they have seen in camp, during spring and summer, they know who their best option is at quarterback."​

Logical. Emotionally unsatisfying for many, but logical.

FTA:
Jeremy Pruitt’s former boss says that even if the game is put away early, it maybe more beneficial to run and work on the Wildcat package rather than inserting Shrout and Maurer.​
“If you want to expand your Wildcat package, I would, because that is your change-up and your second offense — and can become a good offense,” Propst said. “If you are going to expand that package, it’s hard to work your second quarterback. I think Jarrett has to have confidence, he’s got to play better and they know what they have seen in camp, during spring and summer, they know who their best option is at quarterback."​

Logical. Emotionally unsatisfying for many, but logical.

Good to hear this guy after listening to Ainge and Swain. Nice common sense point of view. He's saying there is a chance to upset the Gators. Stay tuned.

If JG could throw a little quicker and learn to throw some guys open we’d be better off. He’s not game changer but serviceable.

We have what we have and will have this all season.

Hey hope they get better. Than have next week to prove that can’t get worse.

why are we giving a platform to a disgraced former high school coach?

I thought JG broke down the Vols offense.

Well played sir.

QzgL7H5.gif

We’re talking about football not family values.

so am i. 1. football wise, he was a high school coach, which doesnt exactly make him an expert, tho he was good at his level.
2. He wasnt fired for his secret family. he was fired for his conduct with students, honest, and mishandling funds, and owing almost half a million dollars in taxes.

one of many sources Georgia's highest-paid high school football coach stayed employed despite a decade of abuse, misconduct allegations

Reactions: Titan05
so am i. 1. football wise, he was a high school coach, which doesnt exactly make him an expert, tho he was good at his level.
2. He wasnt fired for his secret family. he was fired for his conduct with students, honest, and mishandling funds, and owing almost half a million dollars in taxes.
He sounds like a swell guy. Since when do coaches make a habit of dispensing pills from their pocket?

Propst investigation cites pill incidents, dishonesty, insubordination

Reactions: Titan05 and goldvol
Wonder what Rush will say after we play Florida, our first game against multiple NFL-type defenders.

what makes you think that he's not? just because of the o-line shuffling? what if that IS coming from Chaney?

What if is my favorite comic book tales series. As for the OL you need personnel consistency so they develop trust and familiarity, knowing who is doing what and where. They're each a cog in the scheme machine but only when everyone is on the same page.

whatif2.jpg

Last edited:
What if is also one of my favorite comics to get to. That picture of the Watcher in a skirt is a little unnerving tho. as far as the football part, i agree with what you're saying. My question to you is how you know that it is Pruitt being shifty, and that it wasnt Chaney's idea.

Read the D before snap make the decision where the ball is going and make the throw. I know it is not Chaney's style but we have to move to more of a quick passing game, let the corners start pressing the line and then try to throw over the top. That is about all Chaney can do with the way JG is playing right now.
JG already appears to decide prior to the snap where he’s throwing the ball

Talk about sugar coating things to make Pruitt look better. Sorry the offensive issues are not created by our terrible defense. I guess yeah maybe it exploits it a little more. At the end of the day talent should have won both games.

Who are 'we'? Last I checked, Fox Sports was a private enterprise.
We are Volnation, and we are highlighting his statements about Tennessee football on our forum. I doubt even Butch Jones thoughts about the current state of the offense would be appreciated, and he is a higher caliber of coach and a better person than Propst.

I mean....I can't argue with a guy who has been that successful at his level. He knows football. And he's right. Our defense does not have the depth/talent/experience to get off the field quickly. My mind goes back to Fulmer's last year in 2008 (I think), where we had a lights out defense.....but we had an offense that would go 3 and out every time. The defense was out there all game long. The offense averaged 17 points a game that year. Our defense had a lot of playmakers, and did great. But the offense couldn't give them time to recover.

And then, in 2012, Dooley's last year, we had Tyler Bray at QB, who put up a 3,600 yard, 34 TD season on 59% passing, and threw it to Cordarrelle Patterson, who scored 10 Total TD's that year, Justin Hunter, who had over 1,000 yards and 9 TDs, Rajion Neal, who had 1,000 total yards and 9 TDs, and Mychal Rivera who scored 5 TDs that year, not to mention a solid offensive line (Alex Bullard, Tiny Richardson, Zach Fulton, Marcus Jackson, Juwaun James, James Stone - all who went pro, I believe), and we STILL went 5-7, because a Sal Sunseri defense couldn't stop anyone.

There has to be balance. And in order for there to be balance, there has to be equal development and recruiting. I see a lot of great pieces on both sides of the ball that are coming up. But we won't see anything take shape until we see enough balance on both sides where we are playing well in all three phases of the game. Right now, we aren't there yet. We need development and recruiting/depth in every single position.

I really like his take on everything though. It makes sense. Hopefully JG will gain some confidence. That's our real only hope right now.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back