Running Backs Update

I've heard this for several years now. All of these backs have only been average or above averag, the OL has been extremely hit or miss and teams know they couldn't throw the ball so until I see those other factors change I'm not going to expect a ton.

Although we don't have elite talent at RB, I'm much less concerned about RB's than QB, ILB, OL and Pass Rush...

I'm cautiously optimistic about RB, WR, and interior DL on the roster. At least I think? Still no spring roster on utsports.

Last edited:
Gray was fast and quick but the next tackle he breaks will be the first one. I wish him well but will not miss him

I loved Gray, but I agree with this. So many times the O-line would bust a wide open hole for him, he would shoot through the gap and it looked like it was going to be a monster run, only to have some linebacker stick an arm out and trip him up for an 8 yard gain or so. Used to drive me crazy.

I've heard this for several years now. All of these backs have only been average or above averag, the OL has been extremely hit or miss and teams know they couldn't throw the ball so until I see those other factors change I'm not going to expect a ton.
This new system could help

Imagine if Gray played in an offense where the defense didn’t already know to stack the box on 1st and 2nd downs.
If. He plays anywhere that has just a workable QB and you won’t get stacked like that. After the Mo game last year teams stacked the line and gambled JG couldn’t make the read or the pass to beat them.. and they won!

I loved Gray, but I agree with this. So many times the O-line would bust a wide open hole for him, he would shoot through the gap and it looked like it was going to be a monster run, only to have some linebacker stick an arm out and trip him up for an 8 yard gain or so. Used to drive me crazy.

That would be about 7 yards more than a certain QB made;)

Reactions: de1conley
What exactly is his legacy here? A big day against Candy?

Yeah. I think he will struggle to even get on the field at OU. But maybe there will be a game against some doormat like Texas Tech where he will get 143 yds on 24 carries. Then disappear as fast as he appeared. Good riddance.

Alot goes into the running game from the QB position. Alot goes into the blocking scheme , from the QB position. JG would execute a running play into horrible situations. He also did not recognize obvious blitzes . He obviously did not have the ability to audible or change the play . The offense he was running had been simplified beyond reason. He either didn't have the ability to audible due to limitations placed on him by the coaches or his own inability to recognize defenses pre-snap/

If you wonder why guys like Manning or Brady always seems to have a good running game , no matter who is blocking or who is running , it all comes back to the pre-snap read. A simple example is the UGA game . UGA was overloading one side. An audible to change the run play to the other side , results in a big gain. The play would go right at the overload and die a quick death.

Get the QB play right , we will have a running game

Alot goes into the running game from the QB position. Alot goes into the blocking scheme , from the QB position. JG would execute a running play into horrible situations. He also did not recognize obvious blitzes . He obviously did not have the ability to audible or change the play . The offense he was running had been simplified beyond reason. He either didn't have the ability to audible due to limitations placed on him by the coaches or his own inability to recognize defenses pre-snap/

If you wonder why guys like Manning or Brady always seems to have a good running game , no matter who is blocking or who is running , it all comes back to the pre-snap read. A simple example is the UGA game . UGA was overloading one side. An audible to change the run play to the other side , results in a big gain. The play would go right at the overload and die a quick death.

Get the QB play right , we will have a running game
I won't argue with you, for sure, but it's just there's plenty of hype every year and I think we talk ourselves into thinking they're better than they really are. All of these backs are either average or a little above average.

VN Store

Back