Rumor - Quinn Ewers (OSU QB) Going Into the Portal

I don't know all the specifics but he was a 2022 recruit that graduated early and reclassified for 2021 so he could sign with OSU and supposably got a 1 million dollar NIL deal to go there. Someone else will know more.....

I just Googled. Multiple deals. The 1.4m was 3 year autograph deal. There was a auto dealer gave him a tricked out F250 to drive. For each mile, dealer gives a buck to children’s charity. The last was a kabucha drink in TX.

I just don’t understand NIL. 1.4m for autographs of a kid that hasn’t taken a snap?

I would REALLY hope no business is stupid enough to hand a kid $1m+ up front with no stipulations. I'm sure that this is done over payments, and surely leaving OSU would make it null and void. I'd hope, anyways.

I would REALLY hope no business is stupid enough to hand a kid $1m+ up front with no stipulations. I'm sure that this is done over payments, and surely leaving OSU would make it null and void. I'd hope, anyways.

I’ve tried to bring this up before too

Say X player gets 1.5 in deals and on the 3rd play from scrimmage has a career altering injury. I can almost guarantee they’d want the money back.

Was reading today that TAMU, Texas (where he was originally committed before flipping to OSU), and Texas Tech were the favorites. Sounds like he's looking to head back to the old hood.

Here was the exact quote: "Ewers previously committed to Texas in August 2020 before de-committing two months later. Ewers is expected to consider the Longhorns, along with Texas A&M and Texas Tech, as a transfer destination, according 247Sports' Chris Hummer".

IMO, it will be a tough pull to get a big name QB transfer to think twice about Tennessee unless Hooker says he's leaving.

Last edited:
Made over $1 million for only wearing a buckeye uniform for four months.
The money he made was from a Texas based company. He left high school in Texas and enrolled early to be able sign the deal. Texas doesn't allow high school athletes to sign deal so he skipped his senior year

Reactions: dduncan4163
Man, I hope he does and we get into the sweepstakes for him. If I was a QB, this style offense would be what I would want to play in. Of course, he may be interested in the optics of going to USC, Bama or Ga, even though he would have a better chance playing sooner here. This will be very interesting.

Ohio State QB Quinn Ewers to enter NCAA transfer portal
This is a prime example of paying college kids/NIL. If the NIL didn’t exists he would have played his senior year and may have made a better informed decision. Someone should have told this kid his chance to play early or even have a chance was slim to non no matter what school he went to as such an early age. There should be a rule put in place to prevent exactly this again. Each kid should have to play all 4 years of high school to be eligible for college or out a age requirment on it. There is a reason why kids can’t join the NFL earlier than 3 years removed and there should be a rule out in place to prevent kids leaving high school early especially when they are not ready. Yes we see kids re-class all the time in basketball, but Reclassing in football not only is it a bad idea for a kid that’s not ready but it is also a safety issue as well.

That’s what I’d think, but why would he transfer and give up a million dollars? Unless another school has let him know they’d be willing to give him a big deal, it doesn’t make sense

He’s not going to A&M. They already have Haynes King, Connor Weigman (‘22 top duel threat) and Eli Holstein (‘23 5*) QB committed.

That’s what I’d think, but why would he transfer and give up a million dollars? Unless another school has let him know they’d be willing to give him a big deal, it doesn’t make sense

The money he made was from a Texas based company. He left high school in Texas and enrolled early to be able sign the deal. Texas doesn't allow high school athletes to sign deal so he skipped his senior year

If the money came from a Texas based company is he still getting the money when he transfers back to Texas? Or anywhere else that company has a business?

If the money came from a Texas based company is he still getting the money when he transfers back to Texas? Or anywhere else that company has a business?

If I remember correctly, his big deal was with a kombucha company which gave him a piece of the company.

I'm not sure how the net worth of the deal in situations like that would be calculated.

I do know that it is difficult for any business to get off the ground when there are hundreds of companies offering basically the same product. This goes double for a "trendy" product.

Point being, if the company fails then It would seem a large portion of Ewers calculated NIL money would go away also.

Reactions: ATCVolinmn
I will say again Texas does not allow HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS to sign deals. Since he will be in college it does not apply. And yes he will still be getting the money legally because he isn't in high school anymore

Reactions: ATCVolinmn
I'd hate it less to see it happen to the Gumps or the Dawgs...
I'm pretty tired of all of them, Oklahoma and Clemson too. The playoff desperately needed some new blood this year and it looks like we're going to get it.

Some of these top recruits already have agents and I imagine the agents make sure the contracts favor the recruit (in case of injury, transfer, etc.) since they get a piece of the pie.

It's pretty clear from the responses I've read to this that most..(if not all..) of the people responding,( including myself btw...)fail to fully grasp the implications to NCAA Football of the combination of the Transfer Portal + NIL money It will take most of a generation before folks fully grasp how these two have destroyed college football as we've known it.
I'm not even going to try to guess what it will look like, but I guarantee it's not going to be what we've grown up with. Better..?? Worse..?? Who knows. I suppose that will be in the eye of the beholder but I'm quite confident it will be a VERY different game.
As to young Mr. Ewers...I can't imagine why such an astute financier with accountants and agents on speed-dial, who has been able to accumulate a 7 figure income without taking a snap....would be interested in a McDonald's bag program. :rolleyes:

Reactions: KHVol
It's pretty clear from the responses I've read to this that most..(if not all..) of the people responding,( including myself btw...)fail to fully grasp the implications to NCAA Football of the combination of the Transfer Portal + NIL money It will take most of a generation before folks fully grasp how these two have destroyed college football as we've known it.
I'm not even going to try to guess what it will look like, but I guarantee it's not going to be what we've grown up with. Better..?? Worse..?? Who knows. I suppose that will be in the eye of the beholder but I'm quite confident it will be a VERY different game.
As to young Mr. Ewers...I can't imagine why such an astute financier with accountants and agents on speed-dial, who has been able to accumulate a 7 figure income without taking a snap....would be interested in a McDonald's bag program. :rolleyes:

Some schools may go back to the way it was back in the 50's where just a few players get a full ride, a lot of partial scholarships with some that can get academic scholarships to help, making it go back more to a student/athlete extracurricular activity. Crowds would go down to just the families and student body some local grads and minimal TV. Not saying it will but some of the G5's may look at this or go back to FCS. It will all come down to if the TV dollars are enough to offset basically selling your soul to TV execs and becoming an NFL minor league while pretending to be a school of higher education.

This is a prime example of paying college kids/NIL. If the NIL didn’t exists he would have played his senior year and may have made a better informed decision. Someone should have told this kid his chance to play early or even have a chance was slim to non no matter what school he went to as such an early age. There should be a rule put in place to prevent exactly this again. Each kid should have to play all 4 years of high school to be eligible for college or out a age requirment on it. There is a reason why kids can’t join the NFL earlier than 3 years removed and there should be a rule out in place to prevent kids leaving high school early especially when they are not ready. Yes we see kids re-class all the time in basketball, but Reclassing in football not only is it a bad idea for a kid that’s not ready but it is also a safety issue as well.
No offense, but while I appreciate and agree with your message, the kid will be a multi millionaire before he's 20. I think he and his family knew exactly what they were doing. Since the goal for these kids is to make the league and get paid, I'd have to wonder if playing/competing is really going to be a driving force for many of these kids once they've already been paid? That carrot was grabbed and eaten so it's no longer being chased. Hard to see a kid in that position and with that wealth being "hungry" to compete.

I dont know....he has already made more than a million dollars before age 20 and he still will have his pick of schools to play for.

Looks pretty well informed to me.

VN Store

Back