Rucker sums it up pretty well

I agree. Great article. Why do we as fans always have to seem so desperate? It's gotta be a good fit.
People put a lot of time and energy into fandom and feel they are owed. Some live vicariously through their teams achievements which motivates the desperation. Not saying its bad but it is what it is.

Tennessee has not earned the benefit of the doubt. What evidence is there that these folks in charge are going to be any more competent than those here since 2008 that they replaced. Pruitt seems to have the same control freak tendencies that Lyle had that caused Shoop to appear to be a dumba** . Yes, I know that coaches are control freaks by nature. Yes, I know that fit is uber important, (see Fulmer/Cutcliffe, Chaney/Pittman).

But as a fanbase we have been abused more than a tired stripper at a rap music convention. We honestly can't take anymore.

I know I can't. I'm almost to the point of wanting us to take the UAB route. A complete reset and startover may be the only solution to this never ending mess. This fanbase has PTSD and are still in the abusive relationship.

This is just ridiculous, the analogies are not even close, first of all we are talking about the hiring of a coordinator. So this is comparative to PTSD? If you believe you have this condition from watching a game, there maybe other serious issues at play.

Read a lot of " I thinks" " My thoughts" blah, blah blah...

Fans have no hand in the selection process and nothing posted on here will influence the list of potential candidates. No one on here is dumb enough to believe they will...I hope. We as fans had very little fun watching the Vols this year, and if a good coach search"discussion" amongst our fan base keeps us bleeding orange a little longer then they better damn well appreciate it because UT has done almost nothing to keep us hanging on for 10+ years.

One of the better articles, in tone and tenor. But I do think there is/was a considerable indictment of the players ..... as I read it.

I'm not anxious or nervous...actually having fun...he don't know me too well do he...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

This is just ridiculous, the analogies are not even close, first of all we are talking about the hiring of a coordinator. So this is comparative to PTSD? If you believe you have this condition from watching a game, there maybe other serious issues at play.
I'm sorry if I offended you. Yes, I realize that comparing what we as fans feel to a real case of PTSD is hyperbole. But on the other hand, Tennessee fans have shown throughout the years that they live and die by what happens with their beloved Vols. Thus, on a significantly smaller scale, what we feel is similar to the feelings that mistreated spouses feel.

Are football fans going to do to CJP's car what Carrie Underwood did to her boyfriend's car in "Before He Cheats"? Not likely.

But the repeated crap storms we suffer at the hands of those in charge are slowly but surely making many of us decide that watching a team we love play a game we love isn't worth it.

Reactions: CountVolcula
People put a lot of time and energy into fandom and feel they are owed. Some live vicariously through their teams achievements which motivates the desperation. Not saying its bad but it is what it is.

79, realistically compared to work, family, and friends how much more time to you or anyone else spend on UT Football? To say you all are owed something for this time is disingenuous, short of work do you feel you are owed for time spent with family and friend? I was raised on University of Tennessee sports and will never cease to follow them, but I will leave the decisions up to the ones in charge of the programs. I have learned this something I can't control, call me a sheep or whatever but in the grand scheme of things UT Football is just a game.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Tennessee has not earned the benefit of the doubt. What evidence is there that these folks in charge are going to be any more competent than those here since 2008 that they replaced. Pruitt seems to have the same control freak tendencies that Lyle had that caused Shoop to appear to be a dumba** . Yes, I know that coaches are control freaks by nature. Yes, I know that fit is uber important, (see Fulmer/Cutcliffe, Chaney/Pittman).

But as a fanbase we have been abused more than a tired stripper at a rap music convention. We honestly can't take anymore.

I know I can't. I'm almost to the point of wanting us to take the UAB route. A complete reset and startover may be the only solution to this never ending mess. This fanbase has PTSD and are still in the abusive relationship.
If it is that hard to put it into perspective, why torture yourself? I want to see the team turn around and I have many thoughts on the root causes and corrective actions for the problems we see. But acting as if the world will end if we don't win the East/SEC/ National Championship next year is ludicrous! The fit you were talking about is not osmotic. It has to be researched. Let the ones that actually know how football works make the decisions that affect the future of the football teams. This was actually one of the most insightful article concerning the insanity associated with the self-professed victims of BVS. Let things play out in the search and at least give it until this time next year before having the next collective breakdown.

Fair or not I honestly read this article like PR damage control.

I will not trust this school to make a good hire until one is made. I also won’t be burning couches if it’s a Coach I don’t know or like.

Pruitts clock has started and this is his 2nd big test. Can he “recruit” a great OC that can win now and build for a better tomorrow.

I withhold judgment until the end of next season (although the UF game will tell us where we stand pretty early)

Reactions: lonelawyer
79, realistically compared to work, family, and friends how much more time to you or anyone else spend on UT Football? To say you all are owed something for this time is disingenuous, short of work do you feel you are owed for time spent with family and friend? I was raised on University of Tennessee sports and will never cease to follow them, but I will leave the decisions up to the ones in charge of the programs. I have learned this something I can't control, call me a sheep or whatever but in the grand scheme of things UT Football is just a game.
Im not saying I am owed anything. I am saying some people (not me) feel that way which leads to the desperation we see in these threads. I was raised on Tennessee football, went to Tennessee, and will never follow another team. That being said my emotional attachment to the program was all but severed last year. Like you said, why get worked up over something you have zero control over?

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
I'm sorry if I offended you. Yes, I realize that comparing what we as fans feel to a real case of PTSD is hyperbole. But on the other hand, Tennessee fans have shown throughout the years that they live and die by what happens with their beloved Vols. Thus, on a significantly smaller scale, what we feel is similar to the feelings that mistreated spouses feel.

Are football fans going to do to CJP's car what Carrie Underwood did to her boyfriend's car in "Before He Cheats"? Not likely.

But the repeated crap storms we suffer at the hands of those in charge are slowly but surely making many of us decide that watching a team we love play a game we love isn't worth it.

Thank you for your concern, I am not offended, just didn't believe the analogy fit. I am sorry you have come to the end of your rope with the football program. I have been watching and listening to them for 45 years and one thing I have learned is nothing I say will change anything on the hill.

Okay, for all of you wise, logical people who have this all in perspective, let me explain this to you from the other side. Do you know why the Dr. Pepper "Fansville" commercials are so funny? Because there is at least a grain of truth in them. Do you know why the SEC uses "It just means more" as their slogan? Because it does. Do you know why Finebaum gets callers from rural Alabama with a second grade education calling every day and screaming to the top of their lungs? Because to them, "Row Tahd!" isn't just a cheer, it's the name of their first born son.

And unfortunately, it seems like Tennessee football is more important to the fans than it is to the people in power.

Im not saying I am owed anything. I am saying some people (not me) feel that way which leads to the desperation we see in these threads. I was raised on Tennessee football, went to Tennessee, and will never follow another team. That being said my emotional attachment to the program was all but severed last year. Like you said, why get worked up over something you have zero control over?
I believe we are on the same page, I to have also put a buffer between myself and the program for now, I do however still invest a lot in tailgating, because of the friends that will still show up and we go to most home games. I believe it will be turned around, but maybe not as quickly as we all would like.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
It kinda made my skin crawl a little. Just another symptom of Battered Vol Syndrome.
It kinda made my skin crawl a little. Just another symptom of Battered Vol Syndrome.

Okay, for all of you wise, logical people who have this all in perspective, let me explain this to you from the other side. Do you know why the Dr. Pepper "Fansville" commercials are so funny? Because there is at least a grain of truth in them. Do you know why the SEC uses "It just means more" as their slogan? Because it does. Do you know why Finebaum gets callers from rural Alabama with a second grade education calling every day and screaming to the top of their lungs? Because to them, "Row Tahd!" isn't just a cheer, it's the name of their first born son.

And unfortunately, it seems like Tennessee football is more important to the fans than it is to the people in power.

Money is the only thing important to UT

And as long as Martha and Ed are willing to fork out the money for mediocre Football, then there is no reason to change the status quo

I’d personally like to see an OC announced a couple days before early signing day. No sooner. Make a splash hire, even a solid, no frills one... push to flip a couple key prospects with our rivals not having a lot of time to shore things up with their commits and no real news of their own.

Reactions: Scottt5
Article was definitely spot on. Just not sure why the NCAA would punish North Carolina if Freeze was hired and got us in trouble on the recruiting trail....

Reactions: Putbacks
Article is spot IMO. I'll trust the process and see where it goes. He told Harrison Bailey to not worry that he would hire a good one. If that young man was comfortable with it, I have no reason not to be. GBO

Rucker is spot-on.

I still don't get why so many people on here dislike him. I've followed him on Twitter for at least 2 years and the biggest sin I can see is that he occasionally tells bad jokes. Big whoop.

People are doing the same stuff with Freeze as they did with Gruden. Mind you, Gruden is now a 2-10 coach at the Oakland Raiders. Gruden may have been a disaster at UT. His weakness is supposedly that he's poor at player development; which is kinda the most important thing in college football.

Freeze will be a good OC, but the idea that he's the only "good OC" out there or that he'll automatically be a success is inaccurate. No OC would've been very successful this season with the O-line. And Freeze has more negatives (even beyond the scandals at Ole Miss) than people care to admit. If he comes here, very good chance he's 1-and-done; and he's only here for a season where we have no real chance to compete for the SEC. And then we're looking for an OC again this time in 2019.

While people think "no news" is bad news, in actuality, we really haven't seen many OC hires yet anywhere. The head coaching "dominoes" are still being sorted out.

Reactions: MAUSERWERKE
I don't care how right Rucker may or may not be on any given point, he's still a poor man's Dan Wolken. He's so arrogant that he's incapable of reporting on the weather forecast without being condescending to his audience. Typical of what happens to people in that business, unfortunately.

Reactions: patrick

VN Store

Back